Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drop in Crime Rate
Drop in Crime Rate
There has been a substantial drop in violent crimes in the U.S. from the early 1990s. Good news, obviously. The question is why? The drop has been steady across different political administrations and economic conditions. I personally like the theory about unleaded gasoline but there are probably other factors. It's a complex question. MSN has a nice article on it.

Crime Drop

The article doesn't mention the steady drop in religiosity here during that period. No causal effect has been demonstrated as far as I know but it's interesting to note that violent crime continues to drop even as religious belief does. At the very least, we can say that the drop in religiosity doesn't seem to be moving us towards Armageddon.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
RE: Drop in Crime Rate
(May 25, 2015 at 3:17 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: There has been a substantial drop in violent crimes in the U.S. from the early 1990s. Good news, obviously. The question is why? The drop has been steady across different political administrations and economic conditions. I personally like the theory about unleaded gasoline but there are probably other factors. It's a complex question. MSN has a nice article on it.

Crime Drop

The article doesn't mention the steady drop in religiosity here during that period. No causal effect has been demonstrated as far as I know but it's interesting to note that violent crime continues to drop even as religious belief does. At the very least, we can say that the drop in religiosity doesn't seem to be moving us towards Armageddon.

So many things possibly affecting it. Easier access to abortion is certainly a part of it.  Unleaded gasoline as well, and better access to educational material.  Rise in internet usage is almost directly proportional to the crime drop as well.  My husband did some research on that for a college paper he did just a few months ago, and the more access people have to the internet, the more crime drops in those areas.   I think the drop in religiosity affects crime as well, but I think the cause of the drop in religiosity is highly affected by internet access.  It's all a big web.

Go internet! Big Grin
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Most complex issues do not have a single cause/effect.  
A large factor could be the large decrease in the teens and twenty something age group, who commit the largest percentage of violent crimes.
Two words:

video games.

EDIT: Make that 3 words:

violent video games.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Some of the comments under the article are funny. A few people don't believe the crime rate is dropping. One woman decided Obama was in a conspiracy to lie to the public about declining crime rates
(May 25, 2015 at 5:04 pm)Homeless Nutter Wrote: Two words:

video games.

violent video games.

Are you saying violent video games have decreased the crime rate? Maybe by providing an outlet?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(May 25, 2015 at 6:13 pm)AFTT47 Wrote:
(May 25, 2015 at 5:04 pm)Homeless Nutter Wrote: Two words:

video games.

violent video games.

Are you saying violent video games have decreased the crime rate? Maybe by providing an outlet?

Maybe he's saying that playing video games keeps kids off the streets.
(May 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm)Nope Wrote: Some of the comments under the article are funny. A few people don't believe the crime rate is dropping. One woman decided Obama was in a conspiracy to lie to the public about declining crime rates

Doubtlessly, NRA shitheads.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does rasising the corporate tax rate help or hurt? jasonelijah 16 728 March 30, 2021 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The biggest crime in the history of humanity WinterHold 16 2638 September 22, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  So I see that Mnuchin is going to raise the tax rate to 15% GUBU 5 1499 April 27, 2017 at 12:20 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  US murder rate close to historic lows. CapnAwesome 31 4063 December 4, 2015 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Should Prisoners be set Free When Their "Crime" Becomes Legal? Rhondazvous 32 6937 June 11, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Zimmerman's Girlfriend Asks Judge To Drop Charges A Theist 6 2107 December 10, 2013 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  To what extent is a rape victim responsible for the crime? Something completely different 81 22105 October 2, 2013 at 6:59 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  The Swiss remain the enablers of white collar crime. Something completely different 12 3814 June 19, 2013 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Darth
  2013 on track to have lowest murder rate in a Century CapnAwesome 21 3749 June 17, 2013 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Christian crime spree on atheist bilboards. Ziploc Surprise 14 4541 January 4, 2013 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Brian37