Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian crime spree on atheist bilboards.
Christian crime spree on atheist bilboards.
Christian Crime spree on atheist billboards. http://www.examiner.com/article/america-...rime-spree
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: Christian crime spree on atheist bilboards.
I think this is just insecurity, which then leads to the hatred and need to silence.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Quote: All told, FFRF placed 12 banners in December 2012. Five of them were stolen or vandalized.

I guess the fuckers didn't pay enough attention to those "commandments" they are always running their mouths about.
Yet us godless commie loving kitten barbecuers get no credit when we condemn the defacing or destruction of religious property. It is so foreign to most humans that there really is no "out group", there are just assholes in every bunch.

These dicks would be the first to bitch if a Church was defaced. But, when theists, even the ones who post here, want to know why religion should be challenged(not wiped out by force), but challenged, this is why. Because when left unchecked you end up with theocracies and genocide. If the world was limited to dicks like this, instead of the superstitions hijacking politics on a geoglobal level, if all we had to worry about were dicks like this, the world would be a much better place.

Once a church down here about 30 mins away from where I live a couple years back some dicks spray painted something like "God is fake" on the side of it. I think it is a universal concept that humans don't like their stuff messed up, no one does. I would most certainly rat out any atheist if they did that, I wouldn't give one shit if I agree that humans don't need superstition to live life.

Having a verbal debate even heated, that's fine. We all tell each other we are full of shit and call it a day. But when you start destroying property or getting physically violent, that is where I draw the line.
(January 3, 2013 at 2:16 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Having a verbal debate even heated, that's fine. We all tell each other we are full of shit and call it a day. But when you start destroying property or getting physically violent, that is where I draw the line.

I couldn't agree more, but surely you realize that this is a philosophic position, not a scientific claim.

Sorry Brian, I couldn't resist.
(January 3, 2013 at 2:29 pm)cato123 Wrote:
(January 3, 2013 at 2:16 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Having a verbal debate even heated, that's fine. We all tell each other we are full of shit and call it a day. But when you start destroying property or getting physically violent, that is where I draw the line.

I couldn't agree more, but surely you realize that this is a philosophic position, not a scientific claim.

Sorry Brian, I couldn't resist.

No, actually that is a very real scientific aspect of evolution. Cooperation vs violence are both part of evolution. So it is not "philosophy" it is an aspect of evolution which we can and do empirically observe. Violence is an observable act and so is cooperation, those are observable realities not mere claims. We see both all the time throughout the world on a daily basis.

Empirically we observe both violence and cooperation and we tend to value cooperation when we are protecting our own(that which we are familiar with, vs the tendency to react to the "out group" which leads to the destructive behavior these idiots did, which we also observe.

That is evolutionary fact, and evolution is a science, not a "philosophy".

Again, if you have not read, read "The God Delusion", and "The New Atheism" to understand that reality is better measured through scientific method and cannot be replaced nor should be replaced with mere "philosophy".

It is an evolutionary tendency that we do better when group together and avoid harm, our problem is that globally most humans do not have a good grasp on the fact that our behaviors as a species are part of the same range, both constructive and destructive, and slapping labels on what is clearly universal(evolution) with lables like "philosophy" and religion and politics is a archaic behavior because of our evolutionary tribalism.

Now, having said that, knowing that evolution is a range of both constructive and destructive behaviors it would also be delusional for any atheist to presume or assume that 7 billion people will eventually all be on the same page on all issues all the time.

But, knowing what evolution is can allow us a more positive priority shift away from labels towards the understanding that we are all part of the same evolution. Labels and clubs wont go away. But better understanding of human biology and human behavior as part of evolution, can help us bridge those differences.

"And who’s protecting my right not to be offended?"

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 3, 2013 at 5:04 pm)apophenia Wrote:

I'll rat out any atheist, Christian, or Muslim whomever, who is stupid enough to think that destroying property or physical violence is acceptable in a civil society.

This woman is just a lite version of the Taliban and seems to be one can removed out of the six pack from stepping up to their level.
(January 3, 2013 at 5:04 pm)apophenia Wrote:

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
This story made me think of that old Simpsons episode, back when it was still pretty good, in which an IQ-accelerated Homer reveals incontrovertible mathematical proof of the non-existence of God, only for Ned Flanders to set fire to it - "Can't let that little doozy get out!"
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The biggest crime in the history of humanity WinterHold 16 2745 September 22, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Should Prisoners be set Free When Their "Crime" Becomes Legal? Rhondazvous 32 7104 June 11, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Drop in Crime Rate AFTT47 8 1712 May 25, 2015 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  To what extent is a rape victim responsible for the crime? Something completely different 81 22331 October 2, 2013 at 6:59 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  The Swiss remain the enablers of white collar crime. Something completely different 12 3857 June 19, 2013 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Darth
  Is this seriously worth it? Guantanmo inmate never charged with a crime, dies after 11 years in US custody Hovik 66 26207 September 26, 2012 at 3:10 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  In certain circumstances, is some crime understandable ( and laudable )? bozo 11 5491 March 30, 2009 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: Demonaura
  Hate Crime Legislation Eilonnwy 15 9810 January 6, 2009 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Eilonnwy