Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the old fogies NFL eggheads.
For the old fogies NFL eggheads.
Ok, many may know that the Colts used to reside in Baltimore. Well, here is what I am looking for. When I was a kid my parents had a boat in Annapolis MD, back in the 70s. My first memory as a kid, if it is serving me correctly, seeing players in person, was at the Navel Academy in Annapolis MD, not even pre season, but practice scrimmages. Looking for someone old enough, who can confirm that and or a link.
RE: For the old fogies NFL eggheads.
(May 28, 2015 at 8:07 am)Brian37 Wrote: Navel Academy

I hear they discriminate against outies at the Navel Academy. Tongue

But seriously, since this is my alma mater, and I played football there, I think I might have heard about it. But that's not a guarantee that it didn't happen. Bill Belichick is a big deal on campus because he grew up there, did his dad have any connections to the Colts?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I am not talking about an actual game, or even a pre season game. I do remember going to a Baltimore Colts pre pre season scrimmage back in the early 70s. Now if I am wrong, it wasn't because I didn't go. My parents did sail the boat to the Baltimore Harbor from Annapolis a coulple of times. So If I am getting anything wrong, it would not be the scrimmage but the city.

But I swear the Colts did hold July scrimmages or at least one a the Navel Academy. I say that because it was not a stadium but a practice field with bleachers. Oh and they were giants to me. I was what 4 foot minus, compared to 6 foot 5 guys.
It's not unlikely. I was just saying I hadn't heard of it. The practice field locker room is lined with pictures of almost everything interesting that happened football-wise at Navy. I don' remember there being any pictures of it, but that by no means indicates that it didn't happen.

One of the Navy practice fields is right outside Annapolis harbor. During our summer training camps, there were sailboats/yachts moored outside the harbor just to see the goings on of our camp and Plebe Summer, which would be going on at the same time. Maybe you saw a Navy Training Camp? The Navy Stadium, where an actual scrimmage would have been held, is about 1.5 miles inland from Annapolis Harbor.

But Steve Belichick was a scout, which means he had major ties to pro teams. He could have arranged a scrimmage on Farragut Field, no problem. I would say it would even be likely, it would benefit both institutions, bringing visitors to USNA, and spectators to a Colts camp special event.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(May 28, 2015 at 11:53 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: It's not unlikely. I was just saying I hadn't heard of it. The practice field locker room is lined with pictures of almost everything interesting that happened football-wise at Navy. I don' remember there being any pictures of it, but that by no means indicates that it didn't happen.

One of the Navy practice fields is right outside Annapolis harbor. During our summer training camps, there were sailboats/yachts moored outside the harbor just to see the goings on of our camp and Plebe Summer, which would be going on at the same time. Maybe you saw a Navy Training Camp? The Navy Stadium, where an actual scrimmage would have been held, is about 1.5 miles inland from Annapolis Harbor.

But Steve Belichick was a scout, which means he had major ties to pro teams. He could have arranged a scrimmage on Farragut Field, no problem. I would say it would even be likely, it would benefit both institutions, bringing visitors to USNA, and spectators to a Colts camp special event.
 No it was not Navy. I remember the white helmets with the blue horse shoes. Considering how close Annapolis is to Baltimore, they may have had one that I went to because of a scheduling conflict with their regular training field. Or it might have been some sort of charity event. But it was the Colts. Now again, I may be confusing Annapolis with Baltimore, but I swear on my life it was a Colt's scrimmage held at Naval Academy. 

I say that because you do see sports venues get moved for a game or even a season due to weather or scheduling conflicts. 

Oh yea, I never said the field was next to the harbor, but the 1.5 miles sounds about right for Annapolis.
Wherever it happened, I'm sure it was a cool experience. I've been to 3 Steelers Training camps at Latrobe, PA, and every time it is amazing. Oh, and just as a side note, they went to the Super Bowl every year I went to their training camp. 2005, 2008, 2010. So...

I'm not saying I'm a lucky charm or anything. But my job and not being able to get time off is costing us Super Bowls.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  That Unofficial NFL Thread Brian37 158 8583 March 11, 2024 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  How could I miss this rule for 55 years in the NFL? Brian37 14 1676 December 1, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Brian37
  CFL VS NFL..... Brian37 28 2971 August 28, 2021 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Anyone watching the NFL draft? Brian37 11 1111 May 2, 2021 at 4:50 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  NFL Pro Bowl Brian37 0 271 January 31, 2021 at 9:39 am
  NFL and Covid....... Cam Newton..... Brian37 2 442 October 3, 2020 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  NFL triva..... Brian37 2 337 September 29, 2020 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  NFL's Tom Dempsey latest victim of virus. Brian37 3 775 April 5, 2020 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Athene
  NFL may be headed to player negotiation. Brian37 9 1030 August 15, 2019 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Two NFL records broken this weekend. Brian37 0 338 January 20, 2019 at 11:21 pm