Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Methodist Church apology over abuse claims
Methodist Church apology over abuse claims
The UK's Methodist Church has made a public apology after an investigation uncovered reports of nearly 2,000 alleged abusers - including 914 allegations involving sexual abuse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32911566

Well, it makes a change from pedo peiests!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Methodist Church apology over abuse claims
Ooh, an apology.

Well, I guess you gotta start somewhere....the willingness to improve is a good sign, let's hope this will prevent future incidents from happening. The CC could learn something from this.
Call me when they start writing checks to the victims.  Talk is cheap.  And when it comes from the godly, it's really cheap.
Wonder if they done hid any assets prior to the admission ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I am not that impressed.  They apologized after the report on what they have been doing was released.

I would be much more impressed if they brought it to light themselves, especially if they had done so before there were so many victims.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
i don't think the British Methodists have an equivalent of excommunication, but if they do, I would urge it to be used liberally against the perps, and those who knew and did nothing.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

If someone did that to me or my kid, I wouldn't care how much they apologized, I'd never forgive them. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior, not fucking one!!
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
Obviously child abuse is a job requirement for men of the cloth.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
It's good that they admit wrongdoing.

The big step is starting restitution. How do they intend to right their wrong?

Quote:i don't think the British Methodists have an equivalent of excommunication, but if they do, I would urge it to be used liberally against the perps, and those who knew and did nothing.

To hell with excommunication, I want to see them in jail Angry
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ex-minister of secretive sect, admits to child sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 175 January 28, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1211 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1223 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Religious groups in UK failing children over sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 1130 September 2, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Birmingham Archdiocese 'ignored abuse to protect reputation' zebo-the-fat 6 1172 June 21, 2019 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: squidfetish
  Ex-Pope Benedict XVI blames 1960s revolution for sex abuse zebo-the-fat 27 3409 April 17, 2019 at 10:55 am
Last Post: brewer
  Chile abuse priest Fernando Karadima removed by Vatican zebo-the-fat 2 912 September 28, 2018 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3609 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Sexual abuse in the Catholic church. How widespread is it? Graufreud 26 2133 August 14, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Do Christian Parents Abuse their Children? Bow Before Zeus 177 27267 November 29, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Shell B