Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Reasons to despise " god " ( in the almost zero possibility of he/she/its existence )
Reasons to despise " god " ( in the almost zero possibility of he/she/its existence )
As before atheists/believers,feel free.

ANOTHER REASON.

God is a bad influence.
Recent significant event...the probably illegal invasion of Iraq.

Bush claimed " god " told him to invade.
Blair ( very coy about his faith when British Prime Minister ) was famously caught out by Michael Parkinson on a chat show that " someone else " i.e. " god " influenced his decision to support Bush.

Obvious question is how happy are we that the president of the usa and the pm of the uk talk to their imaginary friend to seek approval for illegal acts of aggresion?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
RE: Reasons to despise " god " ( in the almost zero possibility of he/she/its existence )
You are going to blame the stupidity of Government on God? It always kind of seemed odd to me when Atheist, who are generally political, hate religion so much when in fact Religion wouldn't have had much power without politics. They often work hand in hand.
RE: Reasons to despise " god " ( in the almost zero possibility of he/she/its existence )
(November 27, 2008 at 9:05 pm)Daystar Wrote: You are going to blame the stupidity of Government on God? It always kind of seemed odd to me when Atheist, who are generally political, hate religion so much when in fact Religion wouldn't have had much power without politics. They often work hand in hand.

Daystar,read my post again. I say God is a bad influence. This thing that probably doesn't exist still manages to have influence over stupid politicians, or more accurately, politicians infected with religious faith.
Using the god card affords them some ease of conscience when they give the orders that result in death and destruction on a massive scale.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(November 28, 2008 at 11:16 am)bozo Wrote: Daystar,read my post again. I say God is a bad influence. This thing that probably doesn't exist still manages to have influence over stupid politicians, or more accurately, politicians infected with religious faith.
Using the god card affords them some ease of conscience when they give the orders that result in death and destruction on a massive scale.

Deus Vult! Latin God wills it. The rallying cry of the first crusade. To say that God is a bad influence implies that God in some bad way influenced them and that isn't true. If you had said King David was a bad influence because he once went to war without God having instructed to him to do so - that would have been accurate. David was punished for that by God and so God was not influential to Bush or Blair.
(November 28, 2008 at 11:23 am)Daystar Wrote:
(November 28, 2008 at 11:16 am)bozo Wrote: Daystar,read my post again. I say God is a bad influence. This thing that probably doesn't exist still manages to have influence over stupid politicians, or more accurately, politicians infected with religious faith.

Deus Vult! Latin God wills it. The rallying cry of the first crusade. To say that God is a bad influence implies that God in some bad way influenced them and that isn't true. If you had said King David was a bad influence because he once went to war without God having instructed to him to do so - that would have been accurate. David was punished for that by God and so God was not influential to Bush or Blair.

Daystar, try telling Bush and Blair.
Here's an interesting comparison: I've never really liked football or rather I don't understand how people get so passionate about it and now having read this I can see it's responsible for some evil:

' Sick soccer fans have been plaguing Spurs manager Harry Redknapp with vile phone calls- saying they hope he and his family will be killed in a car crash.'- The Sun 28th November (not my paper I hasten to add).

These sicko retards are displaying the same 'hatred' and bigotry in relation to something they feel passionately about, although in this case for a non religious/political cause.

Of course it's not the football to blame, but rather people's reactions driven by emotion.

Bozo, you know fine well 'god' has nothing to do with Bush and Blair's going into Iraq. They have used Him to prop up or validate their accountability. The things that drive men like them are power and money.
"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility"

Albert Einstein
(November 28, 2008 at 1:55 pm)CoxRox Wrote: Bozo, you know fine well 'god' has nothing to do with Bush and Blair's going into Iraq. They have used Him to prop up or validate their accountability. The things that drive men like them are power and money.

Interesting- you point out yourself a huge problem with religion. Bush was able to use (among other things) Christianity to rally many americans to support his war on "terror." But I have to ask myself- what does Bush really believe? His public persona, at least, strongly believes in god, and I personally wouldn't be surprised if he bought into his own story.
If God did exist there are even better reasons to despise him just going on his word the holy Bible.

Read the O.T. and you will quickly discover that God is the following:
Dictator
Megalomaniacal
Murderer
Vain
Vicious
A liar
He loves to play games with peoples lives to test their faith.(Some games are deadly and harsh)
He hates all things on this Earth that bring pleasure to man.
I could do this forever but after pointing this out for so many years it becomes quite a bore after awhile.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

(November 28, 2008 at 5:07 pm)lukec Wrote:
(November 28, 2008 at 1:55 pm)CoxRox Wrote: Bozo, you know fine well 'god' has nothing to do with Bush and Blair's going into Iraq. They have used Him to prop up or validate their accountability. The things that drive men like them are power and money.

Interesting- you point out yourself a huge problem with religion. Bush was able to use (among other things) Christianity to rally many americans to support his war on "terror." But I have to ask myself- what does Bush really believe? His public persona, at least, strongly believes in god, and I personally wouldn't be surprised if he bought into his own story.

Luke, people like Bush will use anything that will help them accomplish their aims, or so it seems. I'm sure he does believe in God etc and does think he has God's backing. So do all the other nutters......Dodgy
"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility"

Albert Einstein
RE: Reasons to despise " god " ( in the almost zero possibility of he/she/its existen
(November 27, 2008 at 9:05 pm)Daystar Wrote: You are going to blame the stupidity of Government on God? It always kind of seemed odd to me when Atheist, who are generally political, hate religion so much when in fact Religion wouldn't have had much power without politics. They often work hand in hand.
Yes, they do indeed often work hand in hand. Thats one of the problems. Politics is often a big enough mess on its own. Its a much bigger mess with religion. We don't need creationist presidents or prime ministers! Its not good.
Yes of course its less bad if a president/prime minister is a moderate christian/jew or whatever religion he/she is. But religion as a whole is a bad influence as it is delusional and can give cover to the more dogmatic theists.
The problem with moderately religious is who's side are they on? Obviously not atheists because we don't believe there is a God. But are they on the fundamentalists' side because they're both religious? Or do they simply be neutral and cut themselves off and be on their own side? Or they try and be diplomatic? What do they do? What choice to make?
That's the problem. Religion as a whole is a very bad influence. And when people in power are religious that can cause problems.
But of course if they are dogmatic fundamentalists thats an awful lot worse.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1756 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4085 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 10772 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Quantum Physics Proves God’s Existence blue grey brain 15 1865 January 2, 2019 at 11:08 pm
  Petition to rename "communion wafers" to Jeez-its! Foxaèr 26 3212 October 9, 2018 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  How you know religion has done its job in brainwashing you: Foxaèr 19 2751 August 9, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3272 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
  11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence Foxaèr 49 6874 August 2, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  pons ibi lity for it, she wo gimunepipa 6 766 March 12, 2018 at 8:31 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 84124 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire