Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Atheism
Christian Atheism
Alot of you probably have heard of Christian Atheism. My friend recently declared himself as a Christian Atheist, I heard the term before but I didn't really know what it was. So I read up about it. It seems pretty weird to me. Atheism is defined as a lack of religion or belief in God. The name Christian Atheist kind of contradicts itself. In my opinion you can't be a christian and an atheist. Fair enough Christian Atheists don't believe in the existence of God but they follow the teachings of Jesus. I maybe wrong on this. But to me this all seems ilogical. If I'm wrong with my opinion can you just clear it up to me. Thanks.
Humanity's downfall is a trust in a God that isn't there.

The Acacia Strain-Our lady of perpetual sorrow
RE: Christian Atheism
(June 4, 2015 at 3:25 pm)piterski123 Wrote: Atheism is defined as a lack of religion or belief in God.

Just one correction because definitions are important in conversation: Atheism is lack of belief in god, that's all. Buddhists can still be atheists and part of that religion.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(June 4, 2015 at 3:28 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(June 4, 2015 at 3:25 pm)piterski123 Wrote: Atheism is defined as a lack of religion or belief in God.

Just one correction because definitions are important in conversation: Atheism is lack of belief in god, that's all.  Buddhists can still be atheists and part of that religion.

Thanks  Smile

Didn't we already do this?

I guess it was someone else. Atheism is nothing more than the answer to one question: Do you believe in a god? If no, that's it. You're an atheist.

You can believe whatever else you want and still call yourself an atheist. If a person can trick themselves into believing that the Bible is a great document to live by, but ascribe no deity to Jesus, then by all means, you are still an atheist.

My thought is that this particular movement is a stepping stone for most people in it. They aren't ready to commit to one camp or another, and so they straddle the fence. If that's what they need, then good for them. I find it intellectually dishonest and not for me.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(June 4, 2015 at 3:31 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Didn't we already do this?

I guess it was someone else. Atheism is nothing more than the answer to one question: Do you believe in a god? If no, that's it. You're an atheist.

You can believe whatever else you want and still call yourself an atheist. If a person can trick themselves into believing that the Bible is a great document to live by, but ascribe no deity to Jesus, then by all means, you are still an atheist.

My thought is that this particular movement is a stepping stone for most people in it. They aren't ready to commit to one camp or another, and so they straddle the fence. If that's what they need, then good for them. I find it intellectually dishonest and not for me.

Wow I really didn't think this through I kinda feel abit ignorant now.... Sad

When it comes to "Christian Atheism", I have nothing really to say on it. I find it weird, but labels are things people can choose for themselves, and if someone wants to call themself an "Atheist Christian", I'm not really in any position to say that he/she's not. I personally see it as a rather unnecessarily confusing and loaded label to pick.
- Thomas Jefferson
(June 4, 2015 at 3:35 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: When it comes to "Christian Atheism", I have nothing really to say on it.  I find it weird, but labels are things people can choose for themselves, and if someone wants to call themself an "Atheist Christian", I'm not really in any position to say that he/she's not.  I personally see it as a rather unnecessarily confusing and loaded label to pick.

I mean I don't really give two shits about what my friend labels himself as but I just found Christian Atheism a weird name/label

It is a strange label. Labels are generally used to give a shortcut description about something or help give someone an idea of your views. "Christian" and "Atheist" are already very commonly used labels with a few things that are also very commonly associated with them (except in "Atheist" has exactly one thing attached to it). Intentionally choosing two already-loaded labels that seem to be in conflict to the majority of the population is just a hassle.
- Thomas Jefferson
There are people who do not believe in god or that Jesus was divine, but try to follow Jesus' moral teachings.  Some of them call themselves Christian Atheists.  It's an odd name since though they follow Jesus they don't appear to think he was Christ.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheism  Atheists for Jesus might be a better description.  http://www.atheists-for-jesus.com/about.php  And then there are people who want the ritualistic and perhaps some other aspects of Christianity without the believing in god part. http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/...eism.shtml   And then there are people like me, I'm culturally Christian atheist.   That doesn't mean I believe in god, or that I'm religious, only that I was raised Christian and much of world view is colored by that.  And there are things about hymns, and the Lutheran liturgy that I enjoy and which make me feel very at home.

What kind of Christian Atheist is your friend?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
You might want to read Bertrand Russell's essay "Why I am not a Christian":

http://www.users.drew.edu/~jlenz/whynot.html

He explains why even following Jesus is a bad idea, regardless of whether you believe in god or not.  You can also read up on that here, as there are many who find fault with the morality of Christianity.

Then you might want to have a talk with your friend, and see what he has to say about these things.

As for labels, maybe people can call themselves whatever they want.  But if I choose to call myself the "Queen of England," it does not make me the Queen of England.  Labels are not magic and do not make someone something one is not.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2712 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3491 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
Exclamation Considering atheism [Currently Christian] MellisaClarke 68 22996 July 9, 2017 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27074 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12451 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12121 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10463 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 11995 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38052 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack