Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considering atheism [Currently Christian]
Exclamation 
Considering atheism [Currently Christian]
For the past two years, I have been dating an atheist fellow. (odd isn't it?)

And this is because he is somehow attractive. 
He is the one who has been introducing me to memes and other content about atheism.
I have been honestly trying to see his side, as he attended church with me once. (although he says he despises religion/church)

Below is what got me thinking:

Undecided
First, on youtube I saw a youtube video about a strange clip.  (from a movie called Lost Skeleton of Cadavra),.
Now that I hunted it down in my watch history, I can now share clearly with you guys that it was about a guy who said he was a scientist. 
He said he didn't believe in anything: 

Although it was a movie, I wondered how someone with any accomplishment, could not stand for something.

The phrase "stand for nothing fall for anything kept on popping up in mind".

I skipped, and forgot about the post.

Huh
After that, on facebook, later I saw yet another meme. 
I immediately remembered the movie clip above, and my world began to spin, as I made some connections with the clip and the meme below.
I saved this one, the first atheist related thing I ever saved:

[Image: 259bzwh.jpg]

I think the meme seemed to be talking about faith/belief, and that the very concept of belief (not just religious belief) essentially opposed science.

When I read the first short paragraph, I quickly thought the meme was idiotic, because there can also be scientific belief, which is separate from religious belief.

But then, the last paragraph is the paragraph that grabbed me. I was a Christian, and I appreciated science as one of God's best gift to man.

I was slowly viewing the world differently now, and not only am I considering atheism, but I also thinking about staying away from the very concept of belief too.

This has been a year now in the making, and I am comfortable enough to talk about this with others online.

My boyfriend is somewhat proud of me too.
RE: Considering atheism [Currently Christian]
(July 8, 2017 at 1:13 am)MellisaClarke Wrote: For the past two years, I have been dating an atheist fellow. (odd isn't it?)

I don't think that's odd at all. I'm an atheist with a Christian boyfriend. You don't have to share every belief with someone to form a lasting connection.

As for whether you become an atheist or remain a believer, I have no say in that. Good luck in finding your way to whatever conclusion you come to, though. It's never easy to sort that stuff out. It's good to have an open mind like you do, though, because that's how we keep learning. Keep it that way even when you think you've made up your mind. I sure have.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(July 8, 2017 at 1:26 am)Jesster Wrote:
(July 8, 2017 at 1:13 am)MellisaClarke Wrote: For the past two years, I have been dating an atheist fellow. (odd isn't it?)

I don't think that's odd at all. I'm an atheist with a Christian boyfriend. You don't have to share every belief with someone to form a lasting connection.

As for whether you become an atheist or remain a believer, I have no say in that. Good luck in finding your way to whatever conclusion you come to, though. It's never easy to sort that stuff out. It's good to have an open mind like you do, though, because that's how we keep learning. Keep it that way even when you think you've made up your mind. I sure have.

Thanks. Congratz with you and yours!
Don't consider atheism. Consider Christianity. If it makes sense, keep it. If you can't make sense of it-- you're already atheist, nothing much to consider.
I've fucked Christian men in the ass, Christian men have fucked me in the ass, I have given Christian men blow jobs, and Christian men have given me blow jobs . . .

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Dodgy
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
The dilemma for all of us is whether to believe Jesus or not?
He said straight out that he was an alien with awesome powers, and as scientists estimate there are thousands of intelligent alien races in our galaxy alone, maybe he was an alien visitor plain and simple?

[Image: Drake-equation_zpsybveqapb.jpg~original]
"According to Drake, the average of people's best estimates suggests that there are about 10,000 technically advanced civilisations spread across our galaxy"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/unive...e_equation

(July 8, 2017 at 2:35 am)vorlon13 Wrote: I've fucked Christian men in the ass, Christian men have fucked me in the ass, I have given Christian men blow jobs, and Christian men have given me blow jobs . . .

Tongue
What makes you think they were Christians?..Wink
(July 8, 2017 at 1:13 am)MellisaClark Wrote: [Image: 259bzwh.jpg]

I think the meme seemed to be talking about faith/belief, and that the very concept of belief (not just religious belief) essentially opposed science.

When I read the first short paragraph, I quickly thought the meme was idiotic, because there can also be scientific belief, which is separate from religious belief.

But then, the last paragraph is the paragraph that grabbed me. I was a Christian,  and I appreciated science as one of God's best gift to man.

I was slowly viewing the world differently now, and not only am I considering atheism, but I also thinking about staying away from the very concept of belief too.

This has been a year now in the making, and I am comfortable enough to talk about this with others online.

My boyfriend is somewhat proud of me too.
What do you do when scientific evidence disproves or weakens what you believe?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Atheism is a lot like anal sex.  It's very uncomfortable at first, and the girl you're dating may kick you if you try it unexpectedly.  But sooner or later, it works out pretty well for everyone concerned.  Here endeth the lesson.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Hi Mel.
To me, it's weird that you would consider atheism... I'd find it more natural to consider not believing in whatever nonsense you were brought up to believe in.

Back in my days, something made me think "what if everyone is wrong and there is no god at all?... What in the history of mankind would change of this was all merely a belief, right from whatever start there was?" And the answer came as a very likely nothing.

Welcome to this corner of the web. Stay a while and listen... And try to find your way to the mafia game... Wink

Btw, Mel, in Portuguese, means honey. Tell that to your boyfriend!
But we don't go around calling each other honey or sugar... That's a very diabetic prone way of addressing other people... Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2740 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3502 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27108 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Currently living in a "Christian Program." Secular Atheist 23 6298 July 29, 2015 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Christian Atheism piterski123 25 4806 June 5, 2015 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Which type of Political Atheism is most influential in human society currently? CristW 19 4823 February 20, 2015 at 9:51 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12468 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12143 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12006 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda