Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some questions about heaven and hell (for any believer)
Some questions about heaven and hell (for any believer)
---> If all sins can be repented and consequently forgiven by god, why does hell need to be eternal and not temporal? Depending on the severity of the sin, you could be tortured for a day, a week, a month, but why all eternity?

---> If no sin can be repented fully, does that mean we all risk going to hell?

---> If only some sins can be repented, how do we know which ones can and cannot?

---> Why does every sin worthy of hell always grant eternal torture? Should someone who commits an unforgivable sin start endlessly sinning (since he/she is going to hell anyway)?

---> Are Hitler and other immoral people who had faith in god enjoying paradise?

---> Are people who contributed to mankind, like scientists and artists, burning in hell because they didn't believe and committed some sins (like drug abuse)? If so, why does god punish those who help the earth?

---> If I never believed while I'm alive but repent and confess to a priest on my deathbed, can I get into heaven?

---> The former begs a more important question - Is simply believing in the divinity of Jesus and his resurrection (using Christianity just as an example) enough to get into Heaven, regardless of what I do?

---> Can I be really evil but still go to heaven if I believe and pray?

---> What is more important for getting into heaven - Good deeds according to the doctrine, or prayer?

---> Is being gay by itself enough to grant you a ticket to hell? What about premarital sex or simply having sexual thoughts about the neighbour's wife?

---> If you commit a sin while a the same time doing a good deed, which matters more? For example, if I hurt someone to make them believe (saving his/her soul to get into heaven) does the good of converting the person surpass the evil of hurting/torturing them?

---> Does god know (and distinguish?) between those who genuinely believe in him and his doctrine passed down to mankind and those who just pretend/wish to believe just to enter the kingdom of paradise?

---> To enter heaven, do important good deeds count more than small good deeds? Quantity or quality? Does god balance [mathematically] the amount of good and bad deeds (including thoughts) and determine if the overall score is positive or negative?

---> If god really values the institution of family, why doesn't he mind separating relatives between hell and heaven?

---> What the hell happens to fetuses and non-baptised children?

---> What happens to pre-Christian Humans (or pre-any religion)?

---> Isn't eternal torture a strong contradiction against god's strong love and devotion for his own creation (us)?

---> If Satan is evil, why does his house seem to have some of the coolest people on earth?

---> Finally - Do you believe if everyone goes to hell god will get bored? Tongue
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: Some questions about heaven and hell (for any believer)
Those are interesting questions and I hope that theists on this forum can answer. 

I read this question on facebook and have never seen a theist respond to it. 

Does a non Christian who dies during a gang rape go to hell? Will her attackers go to heaven if they convert to Christianity?
IF anybody answers....

--->How the fuck do you know that?
(June 8, 2015 at 1:29 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: IF anybody answers....

--->How the fuck do you know that?

Because Jesus ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

No, aliens

[Image: ancient-aliens-guy-orig-guy-1385045292.jpg]
When people can't agree on the most basic facts about something, that's usually an indication that the thing doesn't exist. If it does, most of them clearly have very bad ways of getting information about it.

Good questions Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I read somewhere on this forum a definition of "God's grace", that states its a free and undeserved gift. So what's with all the scripture and ritual? If you believe there's nothing you can do to deserve god's grace, then why beat yourself up? Apparently, if you're a theist, you believe I, an atheist, am also going to be saved by his grace, since we're equally undeserving and the gift is free.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(June 8, 2015 at 1:43 pm)robvalue Wrote: When people can't agree on the most basic facts about something, that's usually an indication that the thing doesn't exist. If it does, most of them clearly have very bad ways of getting information about it.

Good questions Smile

This. The fact that there is a debate going on about what hell is, and you can find people who disagree on whether or not it exist, what happens there, and whether or not it's eternal, should be a red flag alerting you that it may not actually be real.

Grace is a free gift, but for some reason you can't just take it and keep living your life as is. There's a catch. Suddenly you have to hate gay people, and stop having premarital sex, and listen to a guy talk about how great god is a few times a week. Among other things.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I think the number of theists has been decreasing over the past couple of months - We don't see Drich here anymore, and GC hardly ever replies at all. I miss Rev because I know he would be answering this
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

wut? the Drich is here alright, saw him the other day in another thread Huh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus on the Gospel, not any Christian Church, and the Afterlife KerimF 31 1669 May 17, 2023 at 9:13 am
Last Post: KerimF
  I have some questions for the posters here. Frank Apisa 348 21056 June 28, 2021 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2382 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Deconversion and some doubts Jake 232 13110 August 13, 2019 at 11:28 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Help me not fear heaven/hell Fleeing Jesus 128 13357 June 18, 2019 at 5:08 am
Last Post: SenseMaker007
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11356 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4691 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite
  Are the words "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists? Mystical 54 5723 January 3, 2017 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Are the wlrds "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists? Mystical 8 1515 January 2, 2017 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Mystical
  you can keep heaven Amarok 32 6609 November 25, 2016 at 11:54 am
Last Post: mlmooney89