Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This former Catholic will blast Pope OP/ED
This former Catholic will blast Pope OP/ED
 This former Catholic, me, WILL blast the Pope.

OP/ED.......I am sick of people masturbating over the Pope. Most recently lots of people are getting excited that he is pointing to climate change being real, funny how short term people's memories are with this guy. He didn't do this because it is right, he did this because he saw which way the wind was blowing. His institution has had a long history of science denial. Galileo comes to mind, and it was not until the 70s that the Vatican officially accepted the planet as a globe. They have stuck their nose into abortion issues as well as advising humans not to use condoms. He has faked tolerance for gays telling the west one thing while traveling to parts of Asia saying they needed to "defend traditional marriage". And after the Hebdo attacks his attitude was "they shouldn't be surprised"(meaning the victims and survivors) as he put it "you should expect to be punched because picking on religion is like picking on someone's mother". He is nobody's hero. He has a science degree, but he is still promoting a comic book club.

Now yes, I have mentioned a religious label in this OP/ED, but it applies to all religions in our species recorded history. I am no fan of the idea that merely based on title or club, that makes one moral and much less right about everything. Religion, when it cannot defeat something through logic, or force, switches to adapting to continue marketing the club. He isn't doing this because he accepts all of science, otherwise he would not be the head of a club of superstition. He is doing this to keep his power and continue the marketing of his club. 

The fact is all religions do this. They adapt, not because the want to out of intellectual honesty, but because they want to keep the club in tact. He may accept climate change, but still markets a book full of scientific absurdities and a book full of sexism and tribalism and plenty of immoral stories. 
RE: This former Catholic will blast Pope OP/ED
(June 9, 2015 at 12:39 pm)Brian37 Wrote: OP/ED.......I am sick of people masturbating over the Pope.

Not a big fan of "Catholic Bukkake" videos, I take it.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(June 9, 2015 at 12:51 pm)Tonus Wrote:
(June 9, 2015 at 12:39 pm)Brian37 Wrote: OP/ED.......I am sick of people masturbating over the Pope.

Not a big fan of "Catholic Bukkake" videos, I take it.

Did you hear about the new Catholic confessionals? The windows are groin high. 
(June 9, 2015 at 12:56 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(June 9, 2015 at 12:51 pm)Tonus Wrote: Not a big fan of "Catholic Bukkake" videos, I take it.

Did you hear about the new Catholic confessionals? The windows are groin high. 

My Catholic Church growing up, had a white drape cloth covering the alter down to the floor, I now know that was to hide the alter boy's giving the priests blowjobs, which makes me glad I was never an alter boy.
You summed up my views on the Pope - All my Christian friends are happy about how this pope is modern, liberal and reformist - The truth is he is adapting the church to modern times and marketing the Christian religion. I don't think it is pure chance that the new Pope is south-American - The continent where religion has a chance to flourish and remain for decades or even centuries.

I actually think the catholic church is ok now when it comes to science - After all, the best schools in my country are Catholic and nuns run part of it - I am going to have my masters degree in a Catholic university (but I need to gather some money because it's fucking expensive).
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(June 9, 2015 at 12:59 pm)Dystopia Wrote: You summed up my views on the Pope - All my Christian friends are happy about how this pope is modern, liberal and reformist - The truth is he is adapting the church to modern times and marketing the Christian religion. I don't think it is pure chance that the new Pope is south-American - The continent where religion has a chance to flourish and remain for decades or even centuries.

I actually think the catholic church is ok now when it comes to science - After all, the best schools in my country are Catholic and nuns run part of it - I am going to have my masters degree in a Catholic university (but I need to gather some money because it's fucking expensive).

Glad you brought that up because it is a point I forgot and the fawners forget. He ain't no dummy, he knows it is much harder in secular first world economies to sell his bullshit to more educated societies. He is focusing his efforts on less educated societies and more poor countries. 

The magician cant fool an audience that already knows how the trick works. He is doing this for the same reason big business use tactics like "free computer diagnosis" failing to tell you, once you download the free app, you still have to buy the software to get your computer fixed.
Quote:OP/ED.......I am sick of people masturbating over the Pope.

I hear that is an important class in the seminaries.
(June 9, 2015 at 1:44 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

They don't make Pope on a rope soap for nothing:

[Image: imagespope-on-a-rope.jpg]
(June 9, 2015 at 1:44 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

Much too old for them.

But I don't get the OP. For the pope's fanboys he won't blast anything. They simply aren't interested in what this one has to say. He's preaching to the quire, just like all the vocal atheists. Or does anyone expect this OP/ED to make any difference where the difference hasn't already been made.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(June 9, 2015 at 1:51 pm)abaris Wrote:
(June 9, 2015 at 1:44 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I hear that is an important class in the seminaries.

Much too old for them.

But I don't get the OP. For the pope's fanboys he won't blast anything. They simply aren't interested in what this one has to say. He's preaching to the quire, just like all the vocal atheists. Or does anyone expect this OP/ED to make any difference where the difference hasn't already been made.

No actually, he is not preaching to just Catholics, unfortunately lots of liberals of lots of labels, including some atheists think he is a great guy. 

And exactly what was the point of that last sentence? 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good exists - a Catholic comments Barry 619 35611 October 30, 2023 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
Tongue Scrupulosity - a Catholic disorder ? Bucky Ball 2 359 July 27, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: emjay
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13141 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Pope Francis apologises for Canada residential school harms zebo-the-fat 10 1308 April 5, 2022 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Catholic Church against Cesarean section Fake Messiah 24 4011 August 14, 2021 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1446 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1381 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic Bishops statement on Biden. brewer 9 790 January 25, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2551 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2209 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU