Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why fight ISIS?
Why fight ISIS?
I could be missing something, but as far as i'm aware they have about 30,000 men, no ships, no air force and they're surrounded on all sides by countries with much stronger militaries that all oppose them. So what's the worst that could happen if we just do nothing? Surely as soon as they try to fight against one of the countries in the area they'll be destroyed, right?
“The larger the group, the more toxic, the more of your beauty as an individual you have to surrender for the sake of group thought. And when you suspend your individual beauty you also give up a lot of your humanity. You will do things in the name of a group that you would never do on your own. Injuring, hurting, killing, drinking are all part of it, because you've lost your identity, because you now owe your allegiance to this thing that's bigger than you are and that controls you.”  - George Carlin
RE: Why fight ISIS?
They fuck shit up and kill people
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(June 10, 2015 at 4:09 pm)Saxmoof Wrote: I could be missing something, but as far as i'm aware they have about 30,000 men, no ships, no air force and they're surrounded on all sides by countries with much stronger militaries that all oppose them. So what's the worst that could happen if we just do nothing? Surely as soon as they try to fight against one of the countries in the area they'll be destroyed, right?

No.  Many of those "countries" are less countries than artificial amalgamations of tribes and religious sects with bone deep mutual grievances.   ISIS has considerable number of wedges it can use to enlarge any preexisting fissures between the religious sects and tribes in each of these countries.    It is by no means certain how well the "much stronger militaries" will retain their cohesions if the social fabrics of the "countries" to which these militaries nominally owe allegiance is tore along tribal and sect lines by ISIS.
Quote:Surely as soon as they try to fight against one of the countries in the area they'll be destroyed, right?

You mean, like Syria and Iraq?
Our man God is busy spreading the good word.
Time the heavy artillery blew the bejesus out of them...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(June 11, 2015 at 1:22 am)ignoramus Wrote: Our man God is busy spreading the good word.

Fuck yes.even if they can't defeat us there actions can kill and hurt bystanders so we need to stop them.
ALL PRAISE THE ONE TRUE GOD ZALGO

Indeed. Saying "There's not that many of them - what's the worst that can happen?" has worked so well in the past.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Before dealing with them I'd rather find out why, otherwise considered sane people from foreign countries are flying over to join their mindless cruelty.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(June 11, 2015 at 2:45 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: Before dealing with them I'd rather find out why, otherwise considered sane people from foreign countries are flying over to join their mindless cruelty.

I've heard a lot of Internet grooming goes on Sad How even that is enough is baffling. Some people are easily led.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 11, 2015 at 1:22 am)ignoramus Wrote: Our man God is busy spreading the good word.

You should know that god has a problem with Iron.... iron chariots... Jeeps, Humvees, Tanks... it's all iron.
So, he goes to someplace safe, like a football match and lends a helping hand to both teams, as both are praying to the same god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The nerds are staging a fight. WinterHold 10 776 August 10, 2023 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Nine family members killed in US airstrike in Kabul targeting suspected ISIS-K bomber WinterHold 16 1079 August 31, 2021 at 7:34 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  6% Of Americans Think They Would Win A Fight Against A Grizzly Bear BrianSoddingBoru4 25 846 May 17, 2021 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  BREAKING: Muslims confronting ISIS terrorist and save Austrian Wounded Cop. WinterHold 18 1259 November 5, 2020 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Should ISIS fighters/wives/children be repatriated? brewer 112 6923 March 9, 2019 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Democrats Don't Fight Massive Defense Budget Increase at ALL The Industrial Atheist 23 3699 June 24, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Finally, proof that ISIS recieved funding from a western company. WinterHold 2 852 December 8, 2017 at 5:44 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  ISIS (Probably) Blows Up al-Nuri Mosque in Mosul The Valkyrie 10 3798 June 24, 2017 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  It's Almost Too Bad That ISIS Doesn't Have A Navy Minimalist 11 1668 July 27, 2016 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Christians.. they can be bad as ISIS dyresand 15 2043 May 18, 2016 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: dyresand