Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are we here?
Why are we here?
In the infinite span of time and the vastness of the cosmos, why are we even here?  If god knows everything, why did not god just send everyone to heaven or hell from the get go? What is to be gained by this infinitesimally short and insignificant life we have?  The birth and the death of uncountable universes would be but a blink of the eye from a god's perspective.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: Why are we here?
He gets to watch us boink.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

So, it is a voyeur.  Thinking
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Take your pick:

1) Because god is an idiot and cannot tell who is worthy of heaven and who isn't without testing people on earth.  

2) Or god is incompetent and cannot properly make people without the earth.  

3) Or god is evil and enjoys torturing people.

4) God does not exist.

For those who need it, with 1, god is not omniscient.  With 2, god is not omnipotent.  With 3, god is not perfectly benevolent.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Why are we here? Because Pikaia gracilens survived the Burgess decimation

Oh, you mean if god exists.....he....got high and didn't think things through?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The meaning of life is a personal question that you answer for yourself. Some people decide to let someone else dictate their life for them.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

We accidentally avoided not being here.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Why are we here? To eat, drink, shit, piss and fuck. Everything else is just static.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
That makes me think of a joke I heard some years ago, that went something like this:

My dog's philosophy of life is, if you can't eat it, drink it, or have sex with it, piss on it!

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here are 5 big reasons why Americans are turning away from religion — according to sc Minimalist 3 1523 January 25, 2017 at 9:43 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Why do people on here act as if Islam if no worse than any other faith? Hoppingbunny 64 11072 April 24, 2016 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  So why do Christians here in the United States have such a persecution complex GoHalos1993 13 3686 November 2, 2015 at 10:26 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why is Tyre Still Here When God Said it Would Sink Under the Waves? Lemonvariable72 116 35894 September 27, 2013 at 7:46 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11564 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik