Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Progressive Christianity
Progressive Christianity
Hi-Ho - I was asked to make myself available for questions about Progressive Christianity.  I certainly cannot speak for the entire PX community, but I'm happy to share about my experiences and journey. Smile
RE: Progressive Christianity
Poo.

Another apostate here ???

Damn, what I would give for a Literalist !!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(July 2, 2015 at 1:38 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Poo.

Another apostate here ???

Damn, what I would give for a Literalist !!

Sorry, I just cant jump on the Literalist train.  Wink
So.....can you explain what it means be a progressive christian?
Anything like progressive rock?
How would you describe the bible, and what it means to you?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Progressive Christian? If you are still Christian, then you've made little progress worthy of note.
Progressive is just another kind of scripture cherry picker. Probably thinks they know WAY more than Jesus. Church of Hubris type. Yawn, that's all we ever get these days. Damn !!

Poor Jesus, he'd been better off a follower in His faith, he gets NO RESPECT as the leader.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(July 2, 2015 at 1:42 pm)robvalue Wrote: How would you describe the bible, and what it means to you?

I feel that the bible is a collection of letters, poetry, fables, and word-of-mouth versions of events from history (not necessarily actual history), and a wonderful collection of myths.  I do not believe it to be a guidebook, history book, or science book. I do not believe it is inerrant, nor is it the inspired word of god. I think truth can be found in parts of it.  I think there is also truth in other myths (different than facts), fables, poetry, etc.  I think one of the biggest tragedies is people who want to make it a continuous single piece of work. That takes a lot of perspective away in one fell swoop.  In short, I think the bible is the pieced together written record of one group of people's ongoing attempt to make sense of their world and relate to the force of creation, and destruction.

(July 2, 2015 at 1:50 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Progressive is just another kind of scripture cherry picker.  Probably thinks they know WAY more than Jesus.  Church of Hubris type.  Yawn, that's all we ever get these days.  Damn !!

Poor Jesus, he'd been better off a follower in His faith, he gets NO RESPECT as the leader.

I'm sorry you feel that way, Vorlon13.  I'm not here to evangelize.
Okay - without embarrassing our new arrival - Wiki shows this as

Quote:Progressive Christianity is a form of Christianity which is characterized by a willingness to question tradition, acceptance of human diversity, a strong emphasis on social justice and care for the poor and the oppressed, and environmental stewardship of the Earth.

You know..the type that Mike Huckabee and the rest of the republitards think are commies!

[Image: huckabee.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6774 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8495 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18299 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)