Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 3:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Fellow Secular Citizens
My Fellow Secular Citizens
From the time I was born, I was raised to believe in an all-knowing, all-powerful God. My parents sent me to a parochial school, attended church as often as they could, and taught me the value of spirituality. In the 8th grade I was known for always referencing my faith and praying frequently.

But I've always had reservations about my beliefs. I couldn't get my mind around the fact that God would allow suffering to permeate the world despite the fact that he could stop it with the snap of his fingers. Apologists often say that he is trying to "test" us and see how much we render our love to him. But that seems to be self-centered and jealous. As if he didn't create us for collective joy, but his pleasure and disposal if he wished. I also couldn't accept that people who didn't believe in my particular deity would be condemned forever even if they dedicated their lives to the community.

I have always served my community to the best of my ability. I've founded and headed volunteer groups, civic clubs, etc. I get involved in local organization meetings, have run successful fundraisers, foster political discussion, and aspire to serve in public office as soon as I am eligible to. My question is: why is this not enough? Despite me pouring my resources into helping the needy throughout the world, I am told I cannot unlock "salvation" because I do not accept the existence of a higher power in my heart. Again, that seems very selfish. "Serve your fellow men, but suffer after death because you wouldn't follow my teachings." If I leave the world better than I found it while empowering  others, why should following those beliefs have to be the end-all be-all?

Yesterday I started off my Fourth of July trying to get my relatives to discuss civics. They all scoffed and angrily told me to "relax." One of my aunts proceeded to target my copy of Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville that I was holding, saying that the Bible is the only book worth praising greatly. Instead of embracing our freedoms and critiquing our society as I hoped, they started quizzing each other on their Holy Book and pushed me out of the conversation. It goes beyond that. A week ago I was defending LGBT rights, and my uncle said I was like a "disgusting politician" for going against the word of God.  All while most of the family was upset for me for not "letting loose," or accepting their definition of a good time. My mother is one of the only ones who I feel like myself around. She doesn't accept their plasticity.

Family values means accepting your relative for their differences. It means supporting gay rights. It means respecting the rights of others to not necessarily follow a religious worldview. If people realized this, the world would be a better place. As a bisexual atheist, I want us to be the change we seek.
RE: My Fellow Secular Citizens
Good intro.  Welcome!!

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Welcome.

Your family sounds like a collection of dicks.  And while it is true that "you can choose your friends but not your family" you do get to decide how much of your time you waste on them.

Enjoy your stay and jump in when you like.
Welcome.

Sounds like you need atheist contact to offset the craziness of your family.
Dying to live, living to die.
Not everyone in my family. My mother and grandmother are among the very few members I can be around while still being my full self. Everyone else makes it as hard as possible, as if by being formal and political I am doing something wrong.
#FeelTheBern? Then get out there and volunteer on progressive campaigns, get appointed to government committees, join your local political party, and consider running for office. In order to push for change, you must participate in the political process.
Welcome to the forum, Joko. Nice intro.

Hope you find what you're looking for.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Hi Joko! Hi nice to meet you

Here's some welcome cake c:

Heya Joko nice to meet you, thanks for telling us your story Smile

It is really sad that some people are so intellectually rotted by religion that they treat people less well just for not sharing their delusions. Especially when it's family. I'm glad you have some family members you can have a sensible comversation with. I actually don't have any in my close family, but for different reasons entirely.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Vic, every time you post a nice cake, I get up, go to the cupboard to grab a snack! So far tonight, I've had fruit cake, 2 freddo frogs and some soft jubes.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Sorry? :c I think
You said to, and everybody loves cakes c:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Hello there! Fellow atheist here! ThinkingIsThinking 48 5056 December 18, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: brewer
Video Greetings fellow travelers! entheogen 20 1378 September 17, 2018 at 8:02 am
Last Post: entheogen
  Hello, my fellow Homo Sapiens. I salute you. Don Jehuda 48 12281 May 16, 2017 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Hello! Just need to commune with some fellow atheists in a religious world. Rosie_Rivets 11 1942 November 11, 2016 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: CWoods
  Hello fellow atheists Macoleco 21 1914 August 25, 2016 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Hello fellow nontheists MentalGiant 16 4682 September 16, 2015 at 11:33 am
Last Post: DeathByDespair
  Hello Fellow Atheists! Shuffle 30 5273 July 29, 2015 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Athene
Music Hi fellow space travelers Arjiuna 15 4768 April 6, 2015 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: c172
  Hi fellow heathens! thefemaleatheist 23 4583 March 20, 2015 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Greetings, fellow infidels... squidfetish 18 5174 October 2, 2014 at 3:13 am