Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 2:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is a gawd even?
What is a gawd even?
I don't understand what a god is. Many hucksters apologists argue for a personal god meaning a god that is like a human or human mind. But this is absurd. Other hucksters apologists realizing this absurdity argue god isn't a personal mind and all this anthropomorphic talk is not meant to be literal. It's all metaphor and analogy. Seems more like inappropriate metaphors and analogies if a deity isn't anything like a human at all. Every argument for the existence of deities is useless without a well-defined concept of god.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
RE: What is a gawd even?
A god is one possible configuration of your psyche. You can change the setting but it isn't easy, especially if those who set it for you decide to stone you for fucking with your own dials.
It is the multiverse and whatever made it. It is the good part of our conscience. It has human characteristics because it is in all of us. It is good and not evil at all. This doesn't mean that it has no wrath and we can do whatever we want. It is indeed omnipotent but is very reserved until one finds true Faith, at which point it's apparent involvment in everything is very obvious.
A god is an explanation for things that we don't know the real reason for. It's a security blanket that tells you this life is just a short ride until we reach our destination. It's a way to control the masses by saying you need to do what I tell you because I speak for someone much more powerful than me. People can be assassinated. Gods can't.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

It's usually an imaginary idealised version of yourself.

I made a thread ages ago asking for coherent definitions. Turns out most theists have no idea what it is they are worshipping Tongue I got squat.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(July 6, 2015 at 2:18 pm)popsthebuilder Wrote: It is the multiverse and whatever made it. It is the good part of our conscience. It has human characteristics because it is in all of us. It is good and not evil at all. This doesn't mean that it has no wrath and we can do whatever we want. It is indeed omnipotent but is very reserved until one finds true Faith, at which point it's apparent involvment in everything is very obvious.

And I have a cat named sprinkles.
God is like a mirror. The mirror never changes, but everybody who looks at it sees something entirely different.
(July 6, 2015 at 3:06 pm)robvalue Wrote: It's usually an imaginary idealised version of yourself.

I made a thread ages ago asking for coherent definitions. Turns out most theists have no idea what it is they are worshipping Tongue I got squat.

Darkmatter 2525 gave an argument saying that god is basically them. It's all the parts of the bible that they like, so when people start talking bad about god, they see it as an attack on themself. It goes back to what I said about control. The priest isn't just a guy who want you to do what he wants. He's telling you what god wants you to do. Don't kill the messenger.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(July 6, 2015 at 2:18 pm)popsthebuilder Wrote: It is the multiverse and whatever made it. It is the good part of our conscience. It has human characteristics because it is in all of us. It is good and not evil at all. This doesn't mean that it has no wrath and we can do whatever we want. It is indeed omnipotent but is very reserved until one finds true Faith, at which point it's apparent involvment in everything is very obvious.
God is both whatever made the multiverse and the multiverse, and is human conscience.......wut

". It is indeed omnipotent but is very reserved until one finds true Faith, at which point it's apparent involvment in everything is very obvious."

You are so full of shit. Do something omnipotent then hippy.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
I think the definition of ignostic might suit you.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ignostic

Quote:One who professes ignorance on the knowledge of whether or not any gods exist, or even what the term means. It is a play on the words "ignorant" (to lack knowledge) and "gnostic," (knowledge pertaining to gods).

Ignosticism is sometimes compared to theological noncognitivism, and while one may be both an ignostic and a theological noncognitivist, they aren't mutually inclusive. It is also often compared to agnosticism, and nontheism in general. Most ignostics would be categorized as "weak" or "negative" atheists.
Theist: "Do you believe in God?"

Ignostic: "What is 'God'?"
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3132 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is everything True, even false things? Rev. Rye 10 5832 June 20, 2011 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye