Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No fan of soccer, but that midfield kick?
No fan of soccer, but that midfield kick?
Ok, there are sports I am not into, but even if I don't like the sport, if a player makes a decent play, gotta give them kudos. I hate golf, but have seen holes in 1 or puts you go "WOW". Well there was one goal in last night's final that was simply a "HOLY SHIT WHAT A KICK", she made a goal from midfield. The Japanese goalie made a decent play for the ball, but it still went in. Even if America had lost, that one score was flat out amazing.

GO MERKA!
RE: No fan of soccer, but that midfield kick?
It wasn't anything special, really. The keeper should have saved it and shouldn't have been off her line. It was just a lucky punt, most of those kinds of goals are. You see players attempting it quite often, and it usually only goes in when they've been lucky enough to get it on target from that distance and the keeper is fucking about off their line. I've seen some headlines saying "best goal ever scored in a world cup final". Get a fuckin' grip, really. No chance in hell.

Also, while I'm on the subject, for the love of fuck I wish people would stop comparing the women's game to the men's. Like, I'm all for sporting equality and shit like that, but I'm getting fairly sick of the 'women showing the men how to do it' bullshit in the media. It's not the same level of competition. End of story. It's like Sunday league vs Champions league.
Does sunday league mean something like soccer games in England's premier league?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Yeah, like Napo said, she just caught the keeper out of position and launched it. It's a nice goal, but it's nothing spectacular.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(July 6, 2015 at 3:58 pm)Dystopia Wrote: Does sunday league mean something like soccer games in England's premier league?

No, nothing like that. Sunday league is basically amateur football.
I agree with Nap here. The goal had to be demoralizing for Japan, but hardly a spectacular demonstration of skill. I thought the strike by Morgan Brian from about 30 yards was a much more impressive display of quality. Kaihori appears to have this lined up all the way, but considerable effort was still required to ensure it went over. No goal, but very exciting.

You'll have to forward to 0:58 to see it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCG2ycuoOg4
Yeah, mid-field goals are one of those things that look cool, but honestly, they happen a lot more often than you think.  It's a helluva lot more impressive when a non-penalty kick scores from inside the penalty box.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 6, 2015 at 3:49 pm)Napoléon Wrote: It wasn't anything special, really. The keeper should have saved it and shouldn't have been off her line. It was just a lucky punt, most of those kinds of goals are. You see players attempting it quite often, and it usually only goes in when they've been lucky enough to get it on target from that distance and the keeper is fucking about off their line. I've seen some headlines saying "best goal ever scored in a world cup final". Get a fuckin' grip, really. No chance in hell.

Also, while I'm on the subject, for the love of fuck I wish people would stop comparing the women's game to the men's. Like, I'm all for sporting equality and shit like that, but I'm getting fairly sick of the 'women showing the men how to do it' bullshit in the media. It's not the same level of competition. End of story. It's like Sunday league vs Champions league.

Bullshit! I've been watching the NFL for 42 of m 48 years, Hail Mary passes, clutch kicks at long distances. THAT was a fucking kick, hands down.

Oh and fuck you about the analogy it is not the same. Oh and do tell, when was the last pro Championship sport for either sex you have been in? Neither have I, but I do always recognize talent when I see it. 

That was a spot on kick!
Facepalm

Whatever Brian.
I do follow soccer. Men's and women's. I don't see any reason to compare them. Of course women's will be slower, tamer...whatever else. Certainly less well attended by fans in most cases. I don't care. To me, the two genders of a sport are essentially different sports.

I enjoyed most of the tourney, except for the first match day, with those double-digit blowouts.

As far as the goal in question: well...it was amazing at the time. Now, maybe, maybe not. It could have been a rather random decision to try for that goal. If so, that's pretty irresponsible soccer. However, part of me thinks Carli saw a split second opportunity for reasons most of us won't understand (but the USWNT might).

I thought there was another WWC thread. Hmmm.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  But.. But.... But..... onlinebiker 25 1553 May 6, 2022 at 10:27 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Law of Unintended Consequences Will Kick You In The Balls Every Time Minimalist 28 3155 March 12, 2017 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Shit. Meet The Fan Minimalist 8 1308 July 31, 2015 at 1:11 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Qatar World Cup: over 900 workers died already, could be as high as 4000 by kick off Napoléon 47 6806 June 3, 2015 at 5:25 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut