Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The real reason people are weight-obsessed.
The real reason people are weight-obsessed.
Recently I took a look around some eating disorder forums looking for threads about WHY sufferers want to lose weight. As I suspected, very few said it had anything at all to do with the shallow preoccupation with being attractive that is often attributed to them. Even people who are non-judgmental about eating disorders or campaign against them, often manage to suggest that it's about something as ridiculous as wanting to look like models so the opposite sex will like them. I think the reasons the sufferers I saw give, apply equally well to MOST non-shallow people who are body-dissatisfied. We're not shallow at all necessarily, we're just highly aware, even if unconsciously, of the symbolic MEANING of fat.

Personally, I have a BMI of 19 but I wobble too much for my liking. I think a leaner look would suit my personality better - I feel self-restrained, dedicated, serious, non-threatening, non-confrontational, unimposing and fragile on the inside, and I want to look that way on the outside. Excess fat suits some people a lot. It works great on larger-than-life, jolly, life-loving people, because their bodies represent their lust for life. The other archetype fat can represent is that of comfort-eating and low self-esteem, which is the reason most people who can't pull off the "jolly fat person" archetype want to lose weight. It's about what our bodies mean symbolically, not shallow aesthetics or to copy what's in the media (I HATE the assumption that restrictive eating at a low BMI means you're shallow or vain or want to look like a celebrity - I'm probably the least shallow person I know). Being fat wouldn't suit me at all, it wouldn't feel right, just as wearing clothes that misrepresent my personality would make me self-conscious due to other people's false expectations about me. And people DO make these connections between body shape and personality, it's just usually unconscious.

Can anyone who's ever been dissatisfied with their body relate to this? Or is it just people with eating disorders who feel their own body shape matters for more reason than simply looking attractive? I hope not because I feel that way, ha.
"Faith is a state of openness or trust. To have faith is like when you trust yourself to the water. You don't grab hold of the water when you swim, because if you do you will become stiff and tight in the water, and sink. You have to relax, and the attitude of faith is the very opposite of clinging, and holding on. In other words, a person who is fanatic in matters of religion, and clings to certain ideas about the nature of God and the universe becomes a person who has no faith at all. Instead they are holding tight. But the attitude of faith is to let go, and become open to truth, whatever it might turn out to be."

Alan Watts
RE: The real reason people are weight-obsessed.
I don't hate my body, but it hates me ._.

sorry, it's too late/I'm too tired to make productive comments
The media is strongly to blame

We're shown these size 0 girls and these absolutely ripped adonis men and we are told "this is ideal". However, that is all we are told.

We are NOT told that it takes an extreme lifestyle to get like that. Teenagers (who are most vulnerable to these messages of "you are not good enough") don't learn that these people are payed to look like that, that they don't have real lives, and that they eat rabbit food and spend 6 days a week in the gym to look the way they look. If they're rich, they can also go under the knife. If there was more education that it takes such time, commitment and money to look like these celebrities and models, I think there would be a lot less body image issues in society. Coming to that realisation allows you to be so much more comfortable in your own body, because it allows you to feel normal.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(July 11, 2015 at 4:56 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: The media is strongly to blame

We're shown these size 0 girls and these absolutely ripped adonis men and we are told "this is ideal". However, that is all we are told.

We are NOT told that it takes an extreme lifestyle to get like that. Teenagers (who are most vulnerable to these messages of "you are not good enough") don't learn that these people are payed to look like that, that they don't have real lives, and that they eat rabbit food and spend 6 days a week in the gym to look the way they look. If they're rich, they can also go under the knife. If there was more education that it takes such time, commitment and money to look like these celebrities and models, I think there would be a lot less body image issues in society. Coming to that realisation allows you to be so much more comfortable in your own body, because it allows you to feel normal.

But I don't want to look exactly like the ideal - thin, yes, but not what's the most conventionally attractive. That would make me look too threatening, too competitive, too strong. It makes sense that most people want to look stronger, and more threatening to the same sex, but that's not how I want others to see me, and more importantly, it's not how I want to see myself in the mirror, because it's not how I feel. I want my body to reflect my self-concept, I want congruence. 

For me that means looking gentle and delicate AS WELL as looking competent, serious, self-disciplined and self-restrained, and god I hate to say it, but "noble". There's something noble and even spiritual to me about not being bothered about or tempted by food. (I do have a good sense of humour and come across as cheerful and easygoing, if a bit nervous, in real life I should point out - I'm not as boring and dour as I'm making myself sound, haha.) I think that's what most people find appealing about thinness in our Western culture that prizes self-discipline, self-regulation, not being needy or clingy, self-reliance and hard work. I saw a study that suggested cultures that don't value those things as highly are the ones that don't prize thinness. So I think our cultural values of self-discipline and the like are what drive our idealisation of thin bodies for women and muscular bodies for men, and the media simply REFLECTS those ideals that are already there. They came organically from society and filtered up to the media, not down from it. 

I want to look self-disciplined and efficient because I was not seen that way as a child and I always wanted to be that way, it felt like the way I was always meant to be. Now my mental health is better I am that way but it's a fragile self-perception that I have to protect and reinforce, and what I see in the mirror is just another way to do that. I don't want to look as strong and intimidating as the average underwear model does but I do want to look as self-disciplined as they do.
"Faith is a state of openness or trust. To have faith is like when you trust yourself to the water. You don't grab hold of the water when you swim, because if you do you will become stiff and tight in the water, and sink. You have to relax, and the attitude of faith is the very opposite of clinging, and holding on. In other words, a person who is fanatic in matters of religion, and clings to certain ideas about the nature of God and the universe becomes a person who has no faith at all. Instead they are holding tight. But the attitude of faith is to let go, and become open to truth, whatever it might turn out to be."

Alan Watts
(July 11, 2015 at 12:12 pm)Razzle Wrote: wanting to look like models so the opposite sex will like them

It's quite normal - after all who wouldn't like to look like Brad Pitt? And not just for the opposite sex. Tongue
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
(July 12, 2015 at 11:09 am)Atheist_BG Wrote:
(July 11, 2015 at 12:12 pm)Razzle Wrote: wanting to look like models so the opposite sex will like them

It's quite normal - after all who wouldn't like to look like Brad Pitt? And not just for the opposite sex. Tongue

Oh yes, most people do care about that as well. But I'm talking about the level of emotional investment many people have in thinness, the shame and guilt leading up to and including eating disorders. I don't think that can be caused by wanting to attract a mate, or status among peers, which is another factor especially common for women. The stigma, the deep shame and self-loathing and the obsessive behaviour leading right up to people starving themselves to death, I think must come from something deeper than either of those motives.

Alan Watts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This is the REAL reason Dr H 6 978 July 3, 2019 at 8:26 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 1011 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  The reason I do not believe in God dimitrios10 4 484 May 27, 2018 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I've lost more weight Foxaèr 14 1805 February 21, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What is your weight and waist size? ErGingerbreadMandude 52 7824 November 26, 2017 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Why are people so obsessed with the show Game of Thrones? NuclearEnergy 31 6443 October 16, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Emmett
  Depressed for a very good reason dyresand 9 2833 June 29, 2017 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  I Fucking Quit Too! Any one want to join me for weight loss? Whateverist 159 14630 February 28, 2017 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  #2 Reason to Hate People Who Hate Big Pharma thesummerqueen 47 4640 January 15, 2016 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Rant about weight, fat acceptance, obesity and health Dystopia 49 9274 October 30, 2015 at 11:17 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger