Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secularity and Secularism explained.
Secularity and Secularism explained.
I just read the article 'Secularity and Secularism explained' at the Center For Inquiry site. I found it interesting because I'm into words and their origins, but it goes on to list varying degrees of Secularism. Which label would you apply to yourself?

Center For Inquiry Wrote:Structural Secularism: Most of the important structures of society, its core economic and institutional modes of organization, ought to be independent from religion. The number of social institutions that religions can effectively control or seriously influence ought to diminish.

Ethical Secularism: The ethical principles guiding society ought to be free from religious control or orientation so that the worldly welfare of humanity takes priority. Humanism’s defense of equal and universal human rights is an obvious example. There are three major sub-kinds ranging from conservative, progressive, and pioneering ethics. Stoic Humanism’s stress on personal happiness and liberty makes it a natural ally of conservative libertarianism. Civic Humanism's stress on the overall welfare of society leads towards utilitarianism and progressive liberalism. Ecological Humanism demands a radically pioneering balance of human concerns against animal and environmental concerns.

Legal Secularism: The foundational political doctrines and constitutional articles ought to separate government from religion. Government must be able act autonomously from all churches and government can impose impartial justice on all citizens regardless of their religious views.

State-Sponsored Secularism: Government ought to use its powers to positively discourage religious belief. There should be many laws authorizing all social institutions from education to media to extensively contradict and deride religion. Additional laws placing special and expensive burdens on religious believers to teach and practice religion should be established.

Militant Secularism: The combination of the four other secularisms (structural, ethical, legal, and state-sponsored) all carried out to their furthest limits. The ideal goal of militant secularism is the gradual eradication of religious belief in society, so that all people are atheists in practice and apathetic towards religion.

I would say the Structural, Ethical, and Legal Secularism all apply to me.
RE: Secularity and Secularism explained.
I'm the same. Structural, Ethical, and Legal Secularist. Stoic Humanism sounds like a good route for me Wink
Interesting polemic. and I agree with it pretty much from a position of pragmatism... Although in my opinion the state should be neutral in matters of belief and conscience.

I also have big problems with any ideology which attempts to claim the moral high ground ('should' and' ought')' or claims to have 'THE'ANSWER' to a more just and civilised society. That just makes it another naive Utopian dream.

I have never noticed secularism being the direct result of any moral position any more than atheism. The capitalist system under which we live is not based on morality or religion. It is pragmatic and amoral.

Making a society overtly secular will change little in the behaviour of human beings en masse, it will merely create a different power paradigm..
I have to agree with everything you said there Pad Wink

(the leprechauns made me)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump voters, explained Aroura 33 5074 October 17, 2016 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Brexit explained for 'Muricans. Whateverist 26 2349 July 8, 2016 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Trump Explained Minimalist 20 4212 December 11, 2015 at 4:28 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Secularism.. lifesagift 12 2293 January 18, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: lifesagift
  Battle around secularism in the Arab world? Something completely different 13 4048 August 19, 2013 at 2:07 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Teachers Unions explained Koolay 11 2950 July 20, 2013 at 3:43 am
Last Post: MikeTheInfidel
  What is secularism for you? Something completely different 4 1395 January 18, 2013 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: jonb
  What really really constitutes secularism. kılıç_mehmet 11 5447 May 19, 2012 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Nationalism and secularism kılıç_mehmet 58 14986 April 22, 2012 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Secularism petition (for UK members) groovydude89 7 2671 September 19, 2011 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Cinjin