Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secularism..
Secularism..
Surely a detachment of religion and societal decision HAS to be the way forward. I accept in the US it may be different, but in the UK, secularism could solve many issues!
PS if you're about to post a reply and your response is going to be negative, improper, average, odd, obtuse, irrational, an argument, might change the focus, going off at a tangent or just mean ... go and find a maths forum to post on instead, they'll love you !!
RE: Secularism..
I agree. It think that a divorce from religion would solve many problems in any country. People do stupid things in the name of religion
(January 9, 2015 at 6:07 pm)lifesagift Wrote: Surely a detachment of religion and societal decision HAS to be the way forward. I accept in the US it may be different, but in the UK, secularism could solve many issues!

Agreed. Religious interference in government has never bettered the overall condition of a society.

However, I do think it is important that religious freedom is preserved.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 9, 2015 at 6:44 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 9, 2015 at 6:07 pm)lifesagift Wrote: Surely a detachment of religion and societal decision HAS to be the way forward. I accept in the US it may be different, but in the UK, secularism could solve many issues!

Agreed. Religious interference in government has never bettered the overall condition of a society.

Boru

What is religious freedom?

Religion covers 3000 gods... which one of those do you think should be free?

Or should we have a carte blanche political slate that prevails and provides basic human needs?
PS if you're about to post a reply and your response is going to be negative, improper, average, odd, obtuse, irrational, an argument, might change the focus, going off at a tangent or just mean ... go and find a maths forum to post on instead, they'll love you !!
(January 9, 2015 at 7:11 pm)lifesagift Wrote:
(January 9, 2015 at 6:44 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Agreed. Religious interference in government has never bettered the overall condition of a society.

Boru

What is religious freedom?

Or should we have a carte blanche political slate that prevails and provides basic human needs?

I think people should be free to practice whatever religion brings them peace (subject to restrictions common to all freedoms).

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'carte blanche political slate', etc. Could you rephrase it?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 9, 2015 at 7:53 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 9, 2015 at 7:11 pm)lifesagift Wrote: What is religious freedom?

I think people should be free to practice whatever religion brings them peace (subject to restrictions common to all freedoms).

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'carte blanche political slate', etc. Could you rephrase it?

Boru

I mean secularism... separation of social decision from religion... in all cases/scenarios
(January 9, 2015 at 7:55 pm)lifesagift Wrote:
(January 9, 2015 at 7:53 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I think people should be free to practice whatever religion brings them peace (subject to restrictions common to all freedoms).

Boru

I mean secularism... separation of social decision from religion... in all cases/scenarios

Got it, thanks. I don't see a conflict. People should be allowed to practice their religions (same caveat as above) and religious influence can still be kept out of governmental decisions.

Boru
The problem with any attempt at a truly secular government is the majority of the politicians will be religious and use religion to gain position and power and use this position and power to influence the laws in accordance with their respective beliefs.

The only way it could work, is for government to completely ignore religion and make any mention of religious beliefs, while in the public view, completely illegal and disqualify them from further office. Other than that, treat religious institutes the same as any other business without any laws specifically favoring or punishing them.

Oh wait. Is not that what our constitution says? Damn, guess that will not work either.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
I was under the impression that religion has very little influence on political life in the UK. Am I living in a fool's paradise?
I thought so too. Although we don't officially have the same setup as America, it seems our politics have a lot less to do with religion than theirs. Do you have any specific examples?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battle around secularism in the Arab world? Something completely different 13 4015 August 19, 2013 at 2:07 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  What is secularism for you? Something completely different 4 1381 January 18, 2013 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: jonb
  What really really constitutes secularism. kılıç_mehmet 11 5322 May 19, 2012 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Nationalism and secularism kılıç_mehmet 58 14548 April 22, 2012 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Secularism petition (for UK members) groovydude89 7 2636 September 19, 2011 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  Secularity and Secularism explained. Paul the Human 3 1629 April 21, 2010 at 5:16 am
Last Post: fr0d0