Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Images Of Pluto From 7,750 Miles
New Images Of Pluto From 7,750 Miles
Quote:The NASA mission exploring the Kuiper Belt—the remote corner of the solar system hosting, amongst others, Pluto and its moons—has beamed home an image of the dwarf planet taken at the closest range yet, about 7,750 miles from the surface of Pluto (or, as NASA itself said, from a distance similar that between Mumbai and New York City). A spacecraft known as New Horizons traveled for more than nine years and 3 billion miles to get the shot. This is the farthest out humankind has reached in the universe; it is spellbinding.
More close up pics of Pluto reveals a young mountain range of around 100 million years old, the possibility of an active interior.

[Image: Pluto.png]

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology...id=DELLDHP

[Image: Pluto_Mountain_Range.jpg]
Quote:Especially astonishing to scientists was the total absence of impact craters in a zoom-in shot of one rugged slice of Pluto. They said that suggests that Pluto is geologically active even now and is being sculpted not by collisions with cosmic debris but by its internal heat

The zoom-in of Pluto, showing an approximately 150-mile swath of the planet, reveals a mountain range about 11,000 feet high and tens of miles wide. Scientists said the peaks — seemingly formed from Pluto's icy bedrock — appeared to be a mere 100 million years old. Pluto itself is 4.5 billion years old.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology...id=DELLDHP

Distance Facts:
http://distancefrom.facts.co/earthtoplut...dpluto.php
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
RE: New Images Of Pluto From 7,750 Miles
The relative absence of craters on Pluto is extremely remarkable. It would be interesting to learn what long lasting sources of energy is allowing so small a world to be continuously paving over the craters on its surface so long after its formation.
Maybe the non-co-planar orbit with the rest of the solar system provides some relative lack of rocks flying by?
The main repository of potential impact bodies in the region of Pluto would be the Keiper belt. Keiper belt is very thick. The average inclination of orbits of objects in it is probably around 10 degrees. So the inclination of pluto's orbit won't take it out of danger zone.

So pluto's lack of craters likely didn't result from scarcity of impacts. Much more likely is Pluto was resurfaced quite recently.

Also, Pluto has an atmosphere. Pluto's Gravity is too weak to hold on to a primordial atmosphere over the life of solar system. So the presence of atmosphere might suggest Pluto remains volcanically active and continues to out gas from its interior.
Please explain "resurfaced" Chuck! I'm getting interested...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 16, 2015 at 8:41 am)ignoramus Wrote: Please explain "resurfaced" Chuck! I'm getting interested...
Pluto has large percentage of water content.   The bedrock under its surface is made mostly of water ice.    At pluto's surface temperature water ice is very strong and stiff, stronger than most types of rocks on earth, and as strong and stiff as granite.  So in prevailing temperatures surface of Pluto behaves as if it was made from light but very strong rock, like granite, capable of supporting large verticle relief indefinitely, in other words allow impact craters to survive for as long as the age of solar system. 

If the interior of Pluto remains warm, then there is probably an water or ice/slush mantle under pluto's solid crust.   If the interior is warm enough, then the solid ice crust could be relatively thin.   In this case, liquid water may periodically break through to the surface.   When warm water from deep mantle erupts onto a cold ice surface, it's called cryovolcano.    Much of the erupted water would instantly freeze, and then come back onto pluto's surface in a manner analogous to volcanic ash.   If the volume of eruption is large enough, not all the warm water may have time to freeze before it starts to flow like hot lava on the ice surface.   Either way, cryovolcano said would bury existing topolographies like craters.  This is what likely resurfaced Pluto, and erased most craters.
Another thing to consider is that Pluto has an atmosphere that freezes out during the Plutonian winter, and sublimates during the Plutonian summer. That can cause erosion which can erase craters and other features.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Would there be strong erosion if the gases of the atmosphere never undergo a liquid phase between summer and winter?    Erosive agent probably has to be able to transport away the eroded material and expose Fresh material for erosion to continue for the the agent to become persistently effective.   

There doesn't seem to be any runoff channels in the pictures seen so far?

Although the flat parts between hilly regions might be depositional surfaces.
(July 16, 2015 at 12:03 pm)orogenicman Wrote: Another thing to consider is that Pluto has an atmosphere that freezes out during the Plutonian winter, and sublimates during the Plutonian summer.  That can cause erosion which can erase craters and other features.
I don't recall where, but I remember reading a week or so that this phenomenon is questionable after some observations from New Horizons.
Poor Pluto:

[Image: 7C2GfIF.gif]
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I just watched "The Pluto Files" Brian37 2 515 August 3, 2018 at 9:04 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  For Orogenicman: Best Astronomy Images 2012 thesummerqueen 1 1651 December 19, 2012 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: Rayaan
  Atomic bond types discernible in single-molecule images Tino 0 1309 September 15, 2012 at 5:26 am
Last Post: Tino
  New hi-def images from Mars Cyberman 30 10873 September 11, 2012 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Venus profile from one of my transit images orogenicman 7 3434 June 8, 2012 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: jackman
  New images of Saturn’s moons from Cassini popeyespappy 5 2460 December 27, 2011 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Scientists capture first direct images of theoretically predicted magnetic monopoles Autumnlicious 3 2192 October 31, 2010 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake