Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scared I have the "fat virus"
Scared I have the "fat virus"
I have a cold, first noticed yesterday afternoon. Slightly sore throat, very bad congestion and runny nose before I got hold of a nasal spray. 

I've been trying to find out how to identify AD36, the dreaded "fat virus" that turns stem cells into new fat cells that you can never get rid of, only empty of fat, and which increases your appetite by increasing fat cell uptake of glucose, tiring you out despite a normal amount of food. Both humans and other species gain significant, noticeable fat after infection with it and it's VERY common - I think around 15% of the adult population had already been infected, according to the last study I saw of antibody tests of samples of the general public, but it might be even higher by now, I'm scared to look it up again. It seems it can manifest in many different ways, not just colds, and I can't find anything about how to tell an AD36 cold from any other cold, except that symptoms are always "mild" - but how mild is mild? The sore throat is certainly mild, and I don't have a headache, but the congestion and runny nose is not mild.

Do any of you science buffs know a) anymore about the distinguishing features of an AD36 cold, b) where to go to get the antibody test in the UK so I can find out for sure if I've had it when it's over, and c) my best chance, if there is any chance at all, of preventing or reducing the amount of fat I do gain from it, in case it is AD36? I don't understand enough of the science behind it to make an educated guess about whether fasting while I have the cold will be enough to balance out the effects, or maybe I'll need to fast even some time after the symptoms disappear, or if most of the fat gain occurs afterwards anyway as a result of the increased appetite. Is there anything I can do?

I've been working on improving my body for the last few months, I enjoy it and I'm one of those people who look kind of fat even at a low-average BMI, and I'd be gutted if I couldn't look in the mirror and see someone as disciplined with food and exercise as I actually am. It's the only thing I do well at which I don't need Ritalin to be disciplined with, damn it! In fact I eat less on the days I'm not at work and therefore don't take Ritalin, because I don't need as much energy when not at work. I need something to throw in the face of all the dicks and twats who ever made me feel like a lazy incompetent failure (most of whom were fat and nowadays I have a better career than any of them, but the latter is only thanks to Ritalin, which takes the edge off of that satisfaction).
"Faith is a state of openness or trust. To have faith is like when you trust yourself to the water. You don't grab hold of the water when you swim, because if you do you will become stiff and tight in the water, and sink. You have to relax, and the attitude of faith is the very opposite of clinging, and holding on. In other words, a person who is fanatic in matters of religion, and clings to certain ideas about the nature of God and the universe becomes a person who has no faith at all. Instead they are holding tight. But the attitude of faith is to let go, and become open to truth, whatever it might turn out to be."

Alan Watts
RE: Scared I have the "fat virus"
I had to look the 'fat virus' up. Honestly, I expected it to be an urban legend, apparently it isn't.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/20070820/obesi...-fat-cells

Quote:"We're not saying that a virus is the only cause of obesity, but this study provides stronger evidence that some obesity cases may involve viral infections," Pasarica says in a news release. "We would ultimately like to identify the underlying factors that predispose some obese people to [the effects of] this virus and eventually find a way to treat it."

If you have a low BMI then you probably don't look overweight to other people. Is it possible that your perception about your own body is off?
(July 17, 2015 at 6:11 am)Nope Wrote: I had to look the 'fat virus' up. Honestly, I expected it to be an urban legend, apparently it isn't.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/20070820/obesi...-fat-cells

Quote:"We're not saying that a virus is the only cause of obesity, but this study provides stronger evidence that some obesity cases may involve viral infections," Pasarica says in a news release. "We would ultimately like to identify the underlying factors that predispose some obese people to [the effects of] this virus and eventually find a way to treat it."

If you have a low BMI then you probably don't look overweight to other people.  Is it possible that your perception about your own body is off?

Terrifying isn't it. People have been trying to develop a vaccine for around 10 years but as far as I can tell it's not available yet. The really scary thing is that there's no reason to think that AD36 is the only common virus that has this effect. If you look into the history of how this one in particular just happened to be the only one that's had this kind of research done on it in humans (other species have other viruses with the same effects), it seems very likely that there are others that we don't know about. Basically, NEVER GET ILL. EVER!  Sad

It's always possible that your own perception is off, but I care more about my own perception than other people's anyway. People say I'm slim but I already know that - it's not that I think I'm overweight, but that I'm still "skinny fat" - my fat-to-muscle ratio is too high, always has been. I don't have a belly but the lack of muscle makes me jiggle everywhere despite not taking up much space. I detest strength training, which doesn't help matters. I'm never going to look strong but "tight" would be good enough.
"Faith is a state of openness or trust. To have faith is like when you trust yourself to the water. You don't grab hold of the water when you swim, because if you do you will become stiff and tight in the water, and sink. You have to relax, and the attitude of faith is the very opposite of clinging, and holding on. In other words, a person who is fanatic in matters of religion, and clings to certain ideas about the nature of God and the universe becomes a person who has no faith at all. Instead they are holding tight. But the attitude of faith is to let go, and become open to truth, whatever it might turn out to be."

Alan Watts
If this is your biggest worry/fear I'd say you got things pretty good.

You may have seen these/maybe not.

http://adv36.com/research/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24614097
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3890448/
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'm getting that vaccine as soon as it's available. As long as they don't preserve it with mercury and put the mercury in the so-called "control" vaccines during trials so there's no way of knowing how the mercury affects people long-term, as some manufacturers still do. Nothing is QUITE worth being injected with mercury but it WOULD be worth significant financial sacrifice and travel for me personally.

MH, weight is not my biggest fear, it's my favourite DISTRACTION from my biggest fear. Focusing on something positive that gives me a sense of achievement reduces the chance of a life-threatening OCD relapse, because when I'm not busy my mind can go there instead of drifting to dark places. I don't want that turned into a source of stress and disappointment by uncontrollable weight gain.

Alan Watts
Sorry to hear about the OCD. I know that's tough to control and live with. Don't get to worked up about mercury (thiomersal) in vaccines. Like something to read?:

http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/cc-thim.htm
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
If this IS the fat virus, I'm kicking its arse. Lost 4 pounds in a week by fasting through it and my BMI now 18.8. I'm getting more cat-calls and car horn honks from admirers when walking down the street too, even though I still feel dog-rough.

Still, until I know whether any of the infections I've already had have been AD36, in which case it can't affect me again anyway, I'm not taking any chances and urge everyone else not to. Wash your hands before you touch anything that might touch anything you might put in your mouth, never share a glass with anyone, sit as far away from others on public transport as you can, etc. It's just not worth the very high risk that you'll catch the bugger.

By the way germs aren't what my OCD has ever been about, in case you were getting suspicious Tongue

Alan Watts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Virus transmission - asymptomatic Ferrocyanide 5 378 February 15, 2022 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Saturated Fat Controversy FlatAssembler 132 8329 November 28, 2019 at 12:32 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Space and Herpes (and other virus) brewer 1 231 April 10, 2019 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Can't crack a fat anymore? A New Hope! brewer 3 545 April 5, 2017 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Body shaming, and "My Big Fat Fabulous Life" Aroura 100 21873 August 5, 2016 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Stupid Virus Discovered in People popeyespappy 0 992 November 11, 2014 at 11:09 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  The World's Largest Virus Resurrected From 34,000-Year-Old Permafrost Rayaan 9 3126 March 6, 2014 at 4:19 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace