Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spirit and then there is brain damage
Spirit and then there is brain damage
What really caused me to question the existance of "spirits" is the effects of brain damage has on people. I should know. I had a relative who had heavy brain damage (I say had because she sadly died 5 years ago due to a serious illness). Now she wasn't born with brain damage but had a nasty accident. Her heart stopped and it was a long while before she was finaly revived. Because her heart was not beating and bumping blood into the brain, the brain started to take serious damage due to decay. She had virtually no understanding of any kind. No selfawareness. She couldn't walk let alone stand. She spent years of her life on her bed while being looked after. Her body became extremely weak and became very vulnerable to even the most common illnesses (hence her death).

Now if you are seperate from that guey biomass called the brain then how comes much of you is easily destroyed when the brain takes damage? How comes you lose your memory, selfawareness, understanding, ect ect? I thought the spirit was seperate from the brain? The brain taking damage shouldn't effect the spirit. Shouldn't it? Whatever theists think, I'm quite sure that when the brain fucks up, so do you. When the brain dies, so do you. The moment the brain stops functioning is the moment you do to.

I know theists are going to make some lame bullshit excuse for this one. As usual.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
RE: Spirit and then there is brain damage
Depends what you think the spirit is I guess. It certainly seems to be linked to thought. From what you said there, I sorta imagine a separate 'you' that's frustrated in cognition. The brain is part of the physical body sure, and the physical body dies.
It is a good point. We wonder that as well.
You have to hope for her sake that there is no spirit.

Because otherwise it spent years trapped in her broken body.

It would have been much kinder to let her die than to endure that.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(April 23, 2010 at 10:39 pm)Zen Badger Wrote: You have to hope for her sake that there is no spirit.

^^^

What he said!

It amazes me how religion has concocted this "spirit" crap that must "be saved", how kind this bloody god-boy is and the sets out to torture said spirit by keeping it not only trapped but using 'superglue' to keep it in this world.

Huh!! Confused Fall

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Nothing can replace the sadness you must have felt.

I think that there will just have to remain a little mystery in this world and what comes after DEATH is one of them.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(April 23, 2010 at 10:39 pm)Zen Badger Wrote: You have to hope for her sake that there is no spirit.

She happens to be a little older than me and was in that state before I was born. Can you imagine yourself being in that state for over 20 years? Can't move, can't think, get sick easily and living with this permanent situation with no possibility of getting better. If I ever became like that, I really would like to die. It's sad she's dead but I think it's far better than when she was alive and suffering in that condition. She is buried with her granddad. I visit the grave occasionly.

Personaly, I think this whole spirit thing is nothing more than wishful thinking.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Do you know she suffered? Are you judging her experience from your own?

(April 24, 2010 at 4:31 am)Ace Wrote: Personaly, I think this whole spirit thing is nothing more than wishful thinking.
I think that covers considerations of the afterlife.
Quote:Do you know she suffered? Are you judging her experience from your own?
Well lets see, she was blind, she wore a nappy, she cried quite often, incapable of thought, no selfawareness, easily sick and spent years in a bed. I'd call that suffering.

Quote:I think that covers considerations of the afterlife.
I have considered this so-called afterlife but have ultamalty rejected the idea. There is nothing to support such a claim. It's highly unlikely.

(April 24, 2010 at 4:43 am)Ace Wrote:
Quote:Do you know she suffered? Are you judging her experience from your own?
Well lets see, she was blind, she wore a nappy, she cried quite often, incapable of thought, no selfawareness, easily sick and spent years in a bed. I'd call that suffering.
Right. She cried. This is new information, and that would indicate suffering.

(April 24, 2010 at 4:43 am)Ace Wrote:
Quote:I think that covers considerations of the afterlife.
I have considered this so-called afterlife but have ultamalty rejected the idea. There is nothing to support such a claim. It's highly unlikely.
Me too.
(April 24, 2010 at 4:37 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Do you know she suffered? Are you judging her experience from your own?

(April 24, 2010 at 4:31 am)Ace Wrote: Personaly, I think this whole spirit thing is nothing more than wishful thinking.
I think that covers considerations of the afterlife.

Frodo, I don't think anyone even implied that. The impression I got was that she was beyond human suffering, What I understood was people here are saying are saying it WOULD BE cruel if she had a spirit trapped in that body .

I'm aware of the body mind dichotomy about which people have argued for centuries. I disbelieve in a mind separate from the body or of one capable of surviving death. My position is that the mind is a process,not an object,it is the dynamic of the living brain,a product of the brain in action,just as motion is a product of the motor of a car. (clumsy analogy, but I don't claim to be a philosopher)

The reasons for my position: Skepticism: I demand proof,but so far have seen none.

Another basic question is "Which mind?". The mind changes a little moment to moment and radically year-to-year. What happens if a mind is damaged or the owner is nuts? Does it become prefect at death? Which version? Where and by what mechanism is the perfect version backed up? (to use a computer analogy) Does God have a special external hard drive for each person,or does he just miraculously make everything perfect? That brings me back to my demand for proof.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The "God" Part of the Brain, by Matthew Alper neil 20 1287 February 9, 2024 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 710 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Gender of Holy Spirit TwoKnives99 31 4659 November 17, 2018 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  If God of Abraham is true, then why didnt he use his intelligent design to make a new Roeki 129 44748 July 9, 2017 at 2:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20759 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  If Life is Meaningless Anyway, then What's Wrong with Religion? InquiringMind 348 43556 October 2, 2016 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  The Human Spirit AFTT47 14 3822 August 21, 2015 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: T.J.
  Left brain believes (theist), right brain disbelieves (atheist) Mystic 15 3329 January 11, 2015 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Blaspheming the holy spirit Ravenshire 9 2305 July 28, 2014 at 3:11 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  In the spirit of "Ask a ______" Rampant.A.I. 6 1577 July 11, 2014 at 9:57 am
Last Post: ignoramus