Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to debunk the first cause argument without trying too hard
How to debunk the first cause argument without trying too hard
Why bother with complex explanations on how we know so little about the universe that we can't make too broad assumptions when you can simply counter it with some really simple questions?

The argument from causation, first cause or, as it is frequently called by sophisticated theologians, the cosmological argument, usually consists in the following two premises and conclusion:

1 - Everything that exists has or needs a cause

2 - The universe began to exist

3 - Therefore, the universe needs a cause

From the conclusion theists usually deduce that the only possible cause to the universe and all existence is god, given the amount of supernatural and unimaginable power required to create or just set in motion the events that lead to the creation of life, matter and our beautiful ability to breathe oxygen.

Here's how to refute it without needing to know any science at all:

Atheist asks ---> If everything that exists has or needs a cause, then god, whichever we are talking about, needs a cause as well. What caused god?

Theists replies --> God doesn't need a cause because he was always there, he is infinite, timeless, and exists outside of time and space - Hence only him could have caused the events that lead to the creation of the universe as we know it

Atheist asks - Then apparently not everything needs a cause, so why does the universe need one if god doesn't? I rest my case (And premise 1 is false)

TL;DR -----> If god doesn't need a cause then why the fuck does the universe need one? Answer - Special pleading.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: How to debunk the first cause argument without trying too hard
Don't you know?  'God' is different...or so the assholes claim.
(July 22, 2015 at 8:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Don't you know?  'God' is different...or so the assholes claim.

And special
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Actually, modern formulations of the first cause argument will list the first premise as "everything that BEGINS to exist needs a cause", then they will declare that God never began to exist. Really? Prove it. We have no evidence of anything that didn't begin to exist. Therefore, until you can present your uncaused cause for examination, it's just a load of bullshit.
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide mankind that cannot be achieved as well or better through secular means.
Bitch at my blog! Follow me on Twitter! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!
I find saying it's all bullshit to be a short yet satisfying response.
Dying to live, living to die.
I usually debunk it by saying "not necessarily" after the first sentence. The End.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Sorry, but you guys cannot use logic to explain god away!
God is "magic", or haven't you worked that out yet?

Just ask any theist.
God has absolutely no respect for logic and the laws of nature and likewise, neither do his followers.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 22, 2015 at 9:02 pm)Cephus Wrote: Actually, modern formulations of the first cause argument will list the first premise as "everything that BEGINS to exist needs a cause", then they will declare that God never began to exist.  Really?  Prove it.  We have no evidence of anything that didn't begin to exist.  Therefore, until you can present your uncaused cause for examination, it's just a load of bullshit.

The universe has always existed. Through the history of the universe, going backwards, there was always some material existence and a series of causal relationships. What existed before the big bang is discussed by Lawrence Krauss and other cosmologists. This is equally as logical as "God" has always existed, but is based on evidence, logic, deduction mathematics etc. Do we understand it all fully? NO, but we oughtn't to plug the gap with goddidit.

God of the gaps <=> We don't know <=> God of the gaps <=> We don't know <=> God of the gaps <=> We don't know <=> God of the gaps . . .
There are no atheists in terrorist training camps.

(July 22, 2015 at 8:28 pm)Dystopia Wrote:
(July 22, 2015 at 8:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Don't you know?  'God' is different...or so the assholes claim.

And special

Yeah.... in the "short bus" sense of the word.
The premise is not everything needs a cause. The premise is everything that begins to exist needs a cause.

It's not only proven to be a valid argument, but a sound argument.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 390 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8593 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe EgoDeath 40 4714 November 19, 2019 at 2:07 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24541 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 3817 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" Bahana 220 21605 October 8, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Me too Foxaèr 6 1283 October 7, 2018 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  Too many near death experiences purplepurpose 77 16868 November 13, 2017 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Can someone debunk this FPerson 162 32298 November 12, 2017 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Sometimes it's hard for me to shut up about my atheism Der/die AtheistIn 23 5217 August 15, 2017 at 5:18 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn