Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 1:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There is no god!
There is no god!
Yep, said it again.  And one more time.  I claim that there is absolutely no god.

Anyway, on to the real discussion.

Reading some of the stupid off the wall stupidity by our 'friends' lately, got me to thinking.

If there were a god, why then would there even be a physical reality?  A god could just create minds and put whatever it wants into these minds.  If that were what god did, then there is no physical reality and no need to make it appear as such.  Surely a god could accomplish all it wanted, even the tyrannical misanthrope of the babble-book, without the need or appearance of any sort of physical reality.

Therefore, because there is a physical reality, there is no god.

For the theists that might want to entertain a thought or two here, this is not a thread for your stupid books or your proselytizing.  This is not about morals, good, evil, or accepting your bullshit god.  If that is your intent, go start your own fucking thread and KEEP OUT!
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: There is no god!
We mainly all agree even though your argument is very fallacious.
You're probably right but for many other reasons...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Fallacious in what way?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Rob, here's one for you....
Excercise those fallacy detecting skills of yours.... There's several.

Can't spoil it too early.... it's a little quiet, let's milk this one...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 23, 2015 at 12:32 am)IATIA Wrote: If there were a god, why then would there even be a physical reality?  A god could just create minds and put whatever it wants into these minds.  If that were what god did, then there is no physical reality and no need to make it appear as such.  Surely a god could accomplish all it wanted, even the tyrannical misanthrope of the babble-book, without the need or appearance of any sort of physical reality.

What IS physical reality, actually?  It is the relationship among properties of things, and those properties are related in consistent and reliable ways.  In fact, as far as we know, we don't even need the things-- because we only interface with physical reality through properties.  So the universe is a kind of arena in which a set of principles and properties interact through time.

If I were a god with a lot of free time on my hands, then that's just the kind of thing I'd do. Smile
(July 23, 2015 at 12:53 am)ignoramus Wrote: Rob, here's one for you....
Excercise those fallacy detecting skills of yours.... There's several.

Can't spoil it too early.... it's a little quiet, let's milk this one...
Yeah Smile There are a few little errors. It would be interesting to see if any theists have learned enough to be able to spot them. Let's see if they have!

I hope you don't consider it rude IATIA? I'm not making fun of you, just responding to ignor's idea. It gives the theists a chance to interact in a non-preachy way.

Some general ponsy thoughts:

Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Maybe God loves science more then Atheists. Go figure. That would be enough to explain it.
(July 23, 2015 at 5:03 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Maybe God loves science more then Atheists. Go figure. That would be enough to explain it.

Um. No offense, but.....what ._.
(July 23, 2015 at 2:02 am)bennyboy Wrote:
(July 23, 2015 at 12:32 am)IATIA Wrote: If there were a god, why then would there even be a physical reality?  A god could just create minds and put whatever it wants into these minds.  If that were what god did, then there is no physical reality and no need to make it appear as such.  Surely a god could accomplish all it wanted, even the tyrannical misanthrope of the babble-book, without the need or appearance of any sort of physical reality.

What IS physical reality, actually?  It is the relationship among properties of things, and those properties are related in consistent and reliable ways.  In fact, as far as we know, we don't even need the things-- because we only interface with physical reality through properties.  So the universe is a kind of arena in which a set of principles and properties interact through time.

If I were a god with a lot of free time on my hands, then that's just the kind of thing I'd do. Smile

That's what reading bad, outdated philosophy will do to you. Sigh.

God could exist. It depends on the definition.

If God is defined as existence itself, meaning the existence of the whole universe, then fine, "God" is real. But why the term god, then?! What, does it sound nice or smth?

If God is defined as "Good" or any other quality in a Platonic way, then we start getting into trouble. That's nonsense.
(July 23, 2015 at 5:03 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Maybe God loves science more then Atheists. Go figure. That would be enough to explain it.

No, it wouldn't. Science is a method of discovering how the universe works. God, who's supposed to have created the universe and who knows everything - has no use for science whatsoever. Experiments and tests are necessary for ignorant beings, who are trying to find out something. Is your god such a being?
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists and Atheists: the "is there a God Devil's advocate thread Alex K 60 11701 October 30, 2015 at 7:22 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  There is no god or gods! IATIA 89 24743 November 12, 2012 at 11:01 am
Last Post: yvon111