Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humanistic Jew here!
Humanistic Jew here!
It'll be interesting to see if I'm the only one here.

My quick backstory: brought up nominally Christian, slid into Atheism, converted to Judaism, and now strongly identifies as a Jew who happens to be an atheist/humanist.  It's been a journey, to say the least.  I'll have to post about it in the subforum here shortly.

Glad to be here.
Humanistic Judaism 101:  Humanistic Judaism embraces a human-centered philosophy that combines rational thinking with a celebration of Jewish culture and identity. Humanistic Jews value their Jewish identity and the aspects of Jewish culture that offer a genuine expression of their contemporary way of life. Humanistic Jewish communities celebrate Jewish holidays and life cycle events (such as weddings and bar and bat mitzvah) with inspirational ceremonies that draw upon but go beyond traditional literature.

"God is one of the many different poetic expressions of the highest value in humanism, not a reality in itself."  -Erich Fromm
RE: Humanistic Jew here!
(July 30, 2015 at 10:35 am)el_presidente357 Wrote: It'll be interesting to see if I'm the only one here.

I think summerqueen identifies as the same.

Welcome
Welcome!

Converted to Judaism? That's something you don't see every day, I didn't even know it was possible without marriage. But going from atheism to secular Judaism, that's even stranger. I cannot fathom how that works unless you married into a secular Jewish family and adopted the culture for that reason. So do tell :-)
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Welcome. Man, that is one long strange trip. Enjoy your time here.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Hello Prez! Smile
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(July 30, 2015 at 10:35 am)el_presidente357 Wrote: It'll be interesting to see if I'm the only one here.

My quick backstory: brought up nominally Christian, slid into Atheism, converted to Judaism, and now strongly identifies as a Jew who happens to be an atheist/humanist.  It's been a journey, to say the least.  I'll have to post about it in the subforum here shortly.

Glad to be here.

Not sure. There don't seem to be that many jews around here. I'm half jewish, since both of my grandfathers were jews. Secular to the bone. I only knew one of them, but his favorite dish was roast pork and I think the first time he visited a synagogue was at his burial, courtesy of his siblings. Yes, and the other one, the one who already died in 1936, was by all accounts an avid gambler.

Anyway, welcome.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Welcome aboard!

How does one "convert into judaism"?
You suddenly realize that Moses was right all along, but Jesus is just a guy not worth as much attention?
Bacon is suddenly so wrong?! Oh, that must be a vegetarian in disguise... Tongue
Hi Mr President!! Hi welcome to AF!

Interesting backstory! Maybe you could tell us more in the convert's corner?

Have some welcome waffles c:

[Image: strawberry-waffle-sundaes-R136445-ss.jpg]
He can have as much freakin' matzo ball soup as he wants now, without raising eyebrows!

Welcome
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello I am new here. I am an ex christian and here are some of my beliefs p90powa 23 6613 June 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Pandas United