Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Microsoft office suites certification
Microsoft office suites certification
Does anyone know anything about it? I'm told it's extremely helpful if I want to get a better job. I've only been part time for the past year and a half. Have any of you been certified in MOS or know someone who has?
RE: Microsoft office suites certification
First time I've ever heard of that certification to be honest, and I'm skeptical of the claim that it would be "extremely helpful" to get a better job. Unless your job requires you to create / edit really complicated Word / Excel / Powerpoint (etc.) documents, then I'm not sure why you'd want to have it. I mean, it's not like Office products are difficult to use in the first place; most people can handle them fine and if you run into problems, two minutes of Googling will often suffice.
Running a forum on the internet, on the other hand . . .

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(July 30, 2015 at 11:33 pm)Tiberius Wrote: First time I've ever heard of that certification to be honest, and I'm skeptical of the claim that it would be "extremely helpful" to get a better job. Unless your job requires you to create / edit really complicated Word / Excel / Powerpoint (etc.) documents, then I'm not sure why you'd want to have it. I mean, it's not like Office products are difficult to use in the first place; most people can handle them fine and if you run into problems, two minutes of Googling will often suffice.

That's what I thought. See I've been with my parents since falling on hard times and they sort of have a tendency to pressure me into things. They want me to get a "real job" instead of following my passion. Either way, some extra money in the bank would be nice!
(July 30, 2015 at 11:45 pm)Shinagami Wrote: That's what I thought. See I've been with my parents since falling on hard times and they sort of have a tendency to pressure me into things. They want me to get a "real job" instead of following my passion. Either way, some extra money in the bank would be nice!

What's your passion and why can't you monetize that? I wouldn't take parents advice when it comes to job hunting; there are always major differences in the job market with each generation. When I was in my final year of university, my dad told me to send my CV and cover letter to "at least 100 companies" and wait for a response. I didn't do that; I just uploaded my CV to a job site and the next day I had calls from 6 job agencies who wanted to set me up with interviews; I got my first job on the second interview.
(July 30, 2015 at 11:59 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(July 30, 2015 at 11:45 pm)Shinagami Wrote: That's what I thought. See I've been with my parents since falling on hard times and they sort of have a tendency to pressure me into things. They want me to get a "real job" instead of following my passion. Either way, some extra money in the bank would be nice!

What's your passion and why can't you monetize that? I wouldn't take parents advice when it comes to job hunting; there are always major differences in the job market with each generation. When I was in my final year of university, my dad told me to send my CV and cover letter to "at least 100 companies" and wait for a response. I didn't do that; I just uploaded my CV to a job site and the next day I had calls from 6 job agencies who wanted to set me up with interviews; I got my first job on the second interview.

Writing. I've looked into freelance ghost writing and wrote a tryout piece for a local paper and delivered it last week. I've yet to hear back from them. I don't even know what I expect to happen. I just feel it might lead somewhere. I didn't graduate college and  I don't really have any skills.
(July 31, 2015 at 12:06 am)Shinagami Wrote: Writing. I've looked into freelance ghost writing and wrote a tryout piece for a local paper and delivered it last week. I've yet to hear back from them. I don't even know what I expect to happen. I just feel it might lead somewhere. I didn't graduate college and  I don't really have any skills.

Do you do fiction / non-fiction or a bit of both? My wife does freelance copywriting full time. There are websites out there that have a low bar but have enough standards that they are not laughable which make for good entry for people with no / low experience. They usually pay only per view, which doesn't wind up being a lot, but it's great practice. There aren't a lot of these left because of content mills, because they ruined the model. She suggests researching what a content mill is so you don't end up working for one without knowing what it is. Sites with limited pay but big availability include:

http://examiner.com (if you sign up referring somebody who already writes for them, they get a $50 bonus)
http://hubpages.com

Research these types of sites; my wife doesn't do a lot of work for them, and isn't up to date on ones that are good. A writers forum will lead you in the right direction.

Another way is content marketplaces; essentially you either post work that you have written, put a price on it and try to sell it, or clients post requests for articles, you pick up the job, and deliver it for a fee. These include:

http://textbroker.com
http://writeraccess.com

Then there are sites which are similar but you compete / bid for jobs. These include:

http://elance.com
http://freelancer.com
and even http://craigslist.com

Some of these sites have amazing gigs happening in the background, that the majority of users will never see. If you do a good job, editors will usually reach out to you and offer you long term contracts, etc. My wife has contracted with Sears, Macys, and CBS as a result of these "behind the scenes" positions.

If you have any questions, shoot me a PM and I'll ask her some more questions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your ideal home office/computer pit. Gawdzilla Sama 4 745 August 25, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Help me catch the office coffee thief J a c k 72 15111 November 28, 2017 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Losty
  My Office [pic-heavy] Thumpalumpacus 30 4944 May 27, 2015 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Florida Sherrifs office rug removed. downbeatplumb 6 1390 January 16, 2015 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Impertinent message from Microsoft. Oldandeasilyconfused 2 1344 December 16, 2010 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
Tongue So we got a phone call from Microsoft directly today. leo-rcc 8 3531 August 12, 2010 at 6:59 am
Last Post: leo-rcc
  BBC: Microsoft in web photo racism row Kyuuketsuki 48 14757 August 29, 2009 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: bozo
  Microsoft's New Baby! Kyuuketsuki 26 8315 March 10, 2009 at 9:06 am
Last Post: leo-rcc