Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arizona Immigration Bill
Arizona Immigration Bill
Do you think you can tell if someone is an illegal immigrant just by looking at them? Well Arizona thinks they can!

This is just another example of racial profiling and it sickens me.

Edit: OH IT GETS BETTER!

When asked how law enforcement can identify illegal immigrants without using ethnic aspects, Rep. Brian Bilbray said their shoes.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/22...47710.html
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Arizona Immigration Bill
Ethnic profiling is definitely wrong, in my opinion. However, I do believe that we need to figure out a way to control immigration. Unfortunately, if the illegal immigrants you are looking for are from Mexico, then it's pretty easy to point to someone and say, "Hey, that guy looks Mexican!". The problem is that being 'Mexican' doesn't mean that you are here illegally. It's quite a conundrum.

We can 'tighten the borders' to try to minimize the number of illegal immigrants entering the country, but the problem is what to do about the millions that are already here. As I see it, we have two choices. 1.) Somehow identify them and steer them toward legal status or deportation. Or 2.) Declare all of them currently in the U.S. legal and go from there.

This is a tough issue. Ethnic profiling is almost an unavoidable side effect, unfortunately. On the opposite side of things, there are states that are granting drivers licenses to illegal immigrants. Will they be voting next?
The idea that illegal immigration will be stopped by better border control is a myth. The truth is that the majority of illegal immigrants entered legally and overstayed their welcome.

It looks like this bill will push the federal government to reform immigration laws, and as you know, federal laws win over state laws when they clash.

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
True. Better border control would help slow illegal immigration down, but I hadn't considered the ones that remain beyond their visa's. I just hope the federal government can come up with a solution that actually works. I'm not confident. Surprised?
As an Arizonan (and that is not a proud title at the moment) let me explain what this "bill" is all about.

1. This state is run by asshole republicans. More than regular republicans, an asshole republican loves guns, hates taxes, and really hates Mexicans.

2. Our "governor" was the "Secretary of State" who became governor when the prior governor left to become head of homeland security.

3. Our legislature has asshole republican majorities in both houses.

4. It is an election year and the asshole republicans in power are desperately trying to convince the even bigger asshole republicans in the Tea Party that they REALLY REALLY hate Mexicans.

5. They don't care if this bill is constitutional or not (most of the ass-wipes couldn't even spell "constitutional". It just has to last long enough to get through the primary and general election cycles. Then, if it is struck down, they will be happy to whine about how "acitivist judges" are thwarting the will of the "people."

Got it?
Ugh. So it is pandering to bigotry, rather than an honest desire to regain control of immigration. Wonderful.
(April 26, 2010 at 11:47 am)Paul the Human Wrote: Ugh. So it is pandering to bigotry, rather than an honest desire to regain control of immigration. Wonderful.

Yep.
That is seriously fucked up.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
An editorial which appeared in The Arizona Republic the day before Governor Shithead signed the bill.

*Article Removed by Admin
Minimalist, can you please link to the source. We discourage posting whole articles.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anti-immigration..does Right wing still fools masses? WinterHold 106 4612 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Bill Clinton and Ukraine Interaktive 4 348 August 5, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  What do you think about the immigration crisis? FlatAssembler 37 4166 February 21, 2022 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: highdimensionman
  TX social media censorship bill Fake Messiah 24 2128 September 14, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Crypto bill paulpablo 31 2642 August 19, 2021 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Az Lawmaker introduces scary bill. Brian37 40 3376 February 1, 2021 at 10:29 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Equal pay for women's soccer or no Fed funding bill brewer 55 4771 August 4, 2019 at 7:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Illegal Immigration Lek 183 14235 February 15, 2019 at 3:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How to fix immigration. onlinebiker 5 460 November 30, 2018 at 10:33 am
Last Post: brewer
  How Crazy Is Arizona? Minimalist 19 1745 November 13, 2018 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: GUBU