Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revealed : The stone that translated the book of mormon.
http://gu.com/p/4b985?

The Mormon church’s push toward transparency about its roots and beliefs took another step forward with the first published pictures of a small sacred stone it believes founder Joseph Smith used to help translate a story that became the basis of the religion.

The new photos peel back another layer of secrecy for a relatively young world religion that has come under scrutiny as its numbers swelled in the Internet age.

The pictures of the smooth, brown, egg-sized rock are part of a new book that also contains photos of the first printer’s manuscript of the Book of Mormon. Officials with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints unveiled the photos at a news conference in Salt Lake City.

As one of the more modern and bizarre cults, you have to wonder how members can take golden plates and an egg shaped rock seriously - yet they clearly do. I wish we could have a mormon on here, can we send an invite?
RE: Revealed : The stone that translated the book of mormon.
I thought the stone that translated the book of Mormon was a guy named Joseph Smith.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
I was just looking at this story on the Huffington Post... "Mormons believe that 185 years ago, Smith found gold plates engraved with writing in ancient Egyptian in upstate New York. They say that God helped him translate the text using the stone and other tools, which became known as the Book of Mormon." WTF. How does any presumably successful and semi-sane executive in their church look at this and think, "Yes, if only we are more transparent and show the stone to the public then we will appear more credible"?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
If you find a moron here will you let me know? I need to ask for some magic underpants. Need some help down there.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 5, 2015 at 7:50 am)mh.brewer Wrote: If you find a moron here will you let me know?

Freudian slip? Big Grin
(August 5, 2015 at 7:40 am)Nestor Wrote: I was just looking at this story on the Huffington Post... "Mormons believe that 185 years ago, Smith found gold plates engraved with writing in ancient Egyptian in upstate New York. They say that God helped him translate the text using the stone and other tools, which became known as the Book of Mormon." WTF. How does any presumably successful and semi-sane executive in their church look at this and think, "Yes, if only we are more transparent and show the stone to the public then we will appear more credible"?

I wondered the same thing. If they want to gain more members, this seems like the exact opposite of what they want to do.

All religious myths are absurd but there is something particularly nutty about Mormonism. It still doesn't beat Scientology for the crazy.
(August 5, 2015 at 7:55 am)Neimenovic Wrote:
(August 5, 2015 at 7:50 am)mh.brewer Wrote: If you find a moron here will you let me know?

Freudian slip? Big Grin
Nah, intentional. Got to call em like ya  see um.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Wow... An actual "smooth, brown, egg-sized rock", huh? That settles it, then - Mormonism must be the one true religion.
All hail Joseph Smith.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Does anyone know if there's ever been any LDS'ers here. It would be fascinating to hear from a member of the modern updated version of xtianity. I realise they're pretty reclusive an'all but I've seen they do have internet and go on forums. Any of you reading?

They could come here and teach our ol' fashioned christians and catholics a thing or two I reckon.
I heard this story on NPR yesterday, where the news reader solemnly intoned how the Mormon Church was being more open and revealing more information about the Church's founding. Finally! At long last! Yay! Without much irony, the announcer said something about while folk magic beliefs were common in the early 19th century, today such beliefs seem a little "odd". Ya think? Why would a story about digging for magic golden plates and using magic stones to translate seem odd? Bunch of freaks today.

Meanwhile, way back in 2003, South Park covered/exposed the same ground. Seer stones, golden plates, "translation" process. All there. And with a catchy tune to boot! "Joseph Smith was a Mormon, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb dumb!"

It amuses me to no end the Mormon leaders think they are now letting the cat out of the bag? Their PR and marketing teams felt now was the time to "reveal" these awesome mysteries?

What are they smoking over at Mormon Central? Americana Folk Magic is the ticket to Paradise? Yup. Yes it is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On Tuesday, the LDS (Mormon) church gave its support to recent pro-LGBTQ legislation HankMoody316 21 2456 December 3, 2022 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Mormon Prophet zwanzig 15 2369 July 31, 2021 at 11:30 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Mormon girl "comes out" at church Foxaèr 34 11128 October 24, 2020 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The Book Of Cyril BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1600 December 4, 2019 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  This Guy Pretended To Be A Mormon For Three Months ReptilianPeon 7 1100 October 7, 2018 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Mormon Bullshit..... Oh My - Is Another "Revelation" Coming? Minimalist 10 4387 October 9, 2013 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Mormon temple garments Justtristo 9 5419 January 1, 2012 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Book of Unicorn paintpooper 25 5192 September 29, 2011 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ask me a Mormon Question Nathan6329 38 16564 September 1, 2011 at 6:53 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist