Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Tuesday, the LDS (Mormon) church gave its support to recent pro-LGBTQ legislation
On Tuesday, the LDS (Mormon) church gave its support to recent pro-LGBTQ legislation
Here is the article from
Administrator Notice
Link removed
 or from
Administrator Notice
Link removed
 or from the
Administrator Notice
Link removed
 directly. In case anyone is curious, only someone ranked "Q12" or higher in the LDS hierarchy has the authority to speak on behalf of the LDS church. As an insider, there's a lot of Bishops and Stake presidents in California and Oregon that are somehow dominating the conversations occurring in the state of Utah, which is the state that has the most Mormons. For example, I read the Mormon subreddits frequently and it's full of chatter about this phenomenon. Basically California and Oregon are the "testing grounds" for religious experimentation and it allows the Mormons in Utah to see what's on the horizon, metaphorically speaking.

Administrator Notice
You may not post links until you have been a member for 30 days and have accumulated 30 posts.
Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yes, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards to children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel. 🙏
RE: On Tuesday, the LDS (Mormon) church gave its support to recent pro-LGBTQ legislation
Why do Mormons (or any other religious people, for that matter) try so hard? What makes them spend their lives working for the coming of some golden age of religious euphoria, that many of them will not even live to see? Why bother? Do these people not realize there is no such thing as reincarnation or the afterlife and that their efforts are in vain?
"Imagination, life is your creation"
RE: On Tuesday, the LDS (Mormon) church gave its support to recent pro-LGBTQ legislation
(November 18, 2022 at 5:42 am)Ahriman Wrote: Why do Mormons (or any other religious people, for that matter) try so hard? What makes them spend their lives working for the coming of some golden age of religious euphoria, that many of them will not even live to see? Why bother? Do these people not realize there is no such thing as reincarnation or the afterlife and that their efforts are in vain?

Because they have a restless, gnawing fear that someone, somewhere, might be happy. God told them to fix that.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 18, 2022 at 5:44 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 18, 2022 at 5:42 am)Ahriman Wrote: Why do Mormons (or any other religious people, for that matter) try so hard? What makes them spend their lives working for the coming of some golden age of religious euphoria, that many of them will not even live to see? Why bother? Do these people not realize there is no such thing as reincarnation or the afterlife and that their efforts are in vain?

Because they have a restless, gnawing fear that someone, somewhere, might be happy. God told them to fix that.

Boru

More like un-happy. But then, just let people be unhappy. It's better than being forced to put on a fake smile and pretend to be happy when you aren't. Mormonism only works for certain people, just like every other religion.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
There are different types of Mormons who have different reasons for trying so hard. I choose to try hard for reasons that don't make sense to other people and it makes me look foolish when other people try to understand it. My "takeaway" from having experienced this dozens of times on the internet (mostly reddit & facebook) is to just apologize for being eccentric/unusual.
Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yes, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards to children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel. 🙏
(November 18, 2022 at 6:13 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(November 18, 2022 at 5:44 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Because they have a restless, gnawing fear that someone, somewhere, might be happy. God told them to fix that.

Boru

More like un-happy. But then, just let people be unhappy. It's better than being forced to put on a fake smile and pretend to be happy when you aren't. Mormonism only works for certain people, just like every other religion.

Every time an evil entity is depicted in the media (a demon, a Bond villain) he or she has a big shit-eating grin.  But depict Jesus laughing and the churches practically call it blasphemy.
So why is this in "other religions" and not in "Christianity"?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(November 19, 2022 at 11:19 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: So why is this in "other religions" and not in "Christianity"?

Reminds me of a certain evangelical forum that put topics on Catholicism in "other religions" because they damn sure didn't think it was Christian.   Luther said.
(November 19, 2022 at 11:19 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: So why is this in "other religions" and not in "Christianity"?

The majority of Christians do not consider Mormons as Christians.

The majority of Mormons do not consider Mormons as Chrisitians.

Wikipedia says Mormons are Christians though. Does that make it true since they cite their sources with trustworthy news organizations? 🤔

I will respond more fully after the 30/30 rule is over.
(November 24, 2022 at 1:47 pm)HankMoody316 Wrote:

The majority of Christians do not consider Mormons as Christians.

The majority of Mormons do not consider Mormons as Chrisitians.

Wikipedia says Mormons are Christians though. Does that make it true since they cite their sources with trustworthy news organizations? 🤔

I will respond more fully after the 30/30 rule is over.

The Book of Mormon says Mormons are Christians. That’s why the book is subtitled ‘Another Testament of Jesus Christ’. The name of the religion is ‘The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints’. 

From https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stud...s?lang=eng , the official website of the LDS: 

Quote:Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints unequivocally affirm themselves to be Christians.

I’m starting to think that you are not a Mormon.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mormon Prophet zwanzig 15 2398 July 31, 2021 at 11:30 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Mormon girl "comes out" at church Foxaèr 34 11157 October 24, 2020 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  This Guy Pretended To Be A Mormon For Three Months ReptilianPeon 7 1100 October 7, 2018 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Revealed : The stone that translated the book of mormon. TubbyTubby 17 5184 September 12, 2015 at 7:00 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Hinduism strength itself is its Humility Forsaken 2 1629 February 25, 2015 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Mormon Bullshit..... Oh My - Is Another "Revelation" Coming? Minimalist 10 4389 October 9, 2013 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Mormon temple garments Justtristo 9 5425 January 1, 2012 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Ask me a Mormon Question Nathan6329 38 16573 September 1, 2011 at 6:53 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist