Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 5:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baking: is it moral?
Given the high rate of obsecity and the coming healthcare costs, combined with uncontrolled national debt levels I feel it is time to address the the question: Cookies? Is this the new work of satan?

Just fucking with you guys. I want to know who loves to bake and what they prefer to bake, and any tips they may have Smile. I myself like breads and assorted buns but I haven't had the opportunity to delve in and experiment with things so I'm still a baking noob. I do love getting my hands in the dough and mixing it that, way. But hell just tn I made bread, rolls, peanut butter cookies and flat bread. Its fucking delicious. W
How about your tasty adventures?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
I love making bread. Lots of work but so good. This is my favorite recipe

http://m.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/ca...-salt.html
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
RE: Baking: is it moral?
Was just about to reply that yes, cookies ARE the spawn of Satan but then I realised you were only joking. Sigh, had great counter arguments and everything Sad
Okay, use unbleached flour. Trust me on this, it is better than bleached flour. Also, always sift your flour, even if it is "pre-sifted." It really can make a difference, depending on the exact recipe. Try it and report back on the results. I think you will be pleased.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(August 8, 2015 at 10:21 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Okay, use unbleached flour. Trust me on this, it is better than bleached flour. Also, always sift your flour, even if it is "pre-sifted." It really can make a difference, depending on the exact recipe. Try it and report back on the results. I think you will be pleased.

Could not agree more. We only use unbleached flour.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
I'm experimenting with phyllo dough! Making ricotta and honey filled pastries topped with toasted almonds!
(August 8, 2015 at 10:21 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Okay, use unbleached flour. Trust me on this, it is better than bleached flour. Also, always sift your flour, even if it is "pre-sifted." It really can make a difference, depending on the exact recipe. Try it and report back on the results. I think you will be pleased.
Unbleached and sifted myself? I will try that.
Signifying nothing.
(August 8, 2015 at 10:14 pm)vixene Wrote: Was just about to reply that yes, cookies ARE the spawn of Satan but then I realised you were only joking. Sigh, had great counter arguments and everything Sad

Hahaha I had to after all of the damn morality threads here.
Signifying nothing.
(August 8, 2015 at 10:21 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Okay, use unbleached flour.  Trust me on this, it is better than bleached flour.  Also, always sift your flour, even if it is "pre-sifted."  It really can make a difference, depending on the exact recipe.  Try it and report back on the results.  I think you will be pleased.

Alton Brown recommends sifting pre-sifted flour, so it's probably good advice.

I haven't even *seen* a sifter since the 1970's. Big Grin

I don't bake personally, it seems like a lot of black magic to me. My cooking skills are strictly in the savory department.
(August 8, 2015 at 10:31 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(August 8, 2015 at 10:21 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Okay, use unbleached flour.  Trust me on this, it is better than bleached flour.  Also, always sift your flour, even if it is "pre-sifted."  It really can make a difference, depending on the exact recipe.  Try it and report back on the results.  I think you will be pleased.
Unbleached and sifted myself? I will try that.

The unbleached flour will cost slightly more, but is no more trouble to work with.  The sifting requires that you have a sifter, and is another step in the process.  But it is an easy step that is not much work.  It made a significant difference in the rising of my wife's biscuits.

When you try both of these things and like the results, you can then name all of your children after me.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Snow Queen fairytale, whats the moral value of it? Woah0 2 304 August 20, 2022 at 4:54 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does anyone mow "The Moral Landscape"? Gawdzilla Sama 21 1106 September 29, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Does anyone own a Moral Compass? I_am_not_mafia 13 1324 September 28, 2018 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Moral of the story, keep it on a line. brewer 11 1956 June 29, 2017 at 5:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus