Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No need for a god.
No need for a god.
I just want to put this out there:

At one time gods were needed to explain the world. Why does the sun go away and then come back? Apollo drives it across the sky. Unseen, unprovable, almighty beings. We've phased them out as science has explained phenomena. The main reason modern theists still cling to their one god of choice is that they have not yet been able to conquer fear of death and the chaotic nature of the Universe. Once you embrace that, you have no need of a god.

Heinrich Heine put it best when he said "In dark ages people are best guided by religion, as in a pitch-black night a blind man is the best guide; he knows the roads and paths better than a man who can see. When daylight comes, however, it is foolish to use blind, old men as guides."
I am absolutely certain that I do not know, but it might be possible to find out. - Christopher Hitchens 
Follow Me!
RE: No need for a god.
It is bizarre what anyone is doing still believing in a god. It's plainly completely totally obvious to me it's a giant con. But then, I'm free from indoctrination.

It's such an evil thing that you can't ignore its wretched power over people. I was never religiously indoctrinated, but I received a similar kind of thing from my parents. Over many years they ground down my confidence and made me convinced I was useless, I needed them to do everything for me, I screw up all the time, and if I'm not perfect I'm nothing.

I'm still dealing with the effects this psychological abuse has on me in my therapy. So I'm well aware how strong the lies of indoctrination can be, and how hard it must be to even dare to fight against it. At least the claims made against me are testable and defeatable, I'm clearly not useless. Religion thrives on those untestable claims, so the fear of being wrong must be really powerful as it can't be as easily dismissed.

I need to do a Pascal's Wager video.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I wasnt free from religious indoctrination. I was brought up a catholic christian, which to this day I still find ironic. (Chris Rock said "If you're a black christian, you have a real short memory." ) but anyways, I freed myself from religion. The universe is awe inspiring enough for me. I dont need lies and imaginary friends to help.
I am absolutely certain that I do not know, but it might be possible to find out. - Christopher Hitchens 
Follow Me!
I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that. Well done on fighting through to reality Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(August 13, 2015 at 12:09 pm)robvalue Wrote: I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that. Well done on fighting through to reality Smile

Thank you!
Follow Me!
Sire, I have no need for that idea Smile
Yes... and what does it say when the shit is so poorly written that believers cannot even agree on what it says....except in this case, it is just stupid.

Quote:Chapter Name:Al-Kahf Verse No:86

حَتَّى إِذَا بَلَغَ مَغْرِبَ الشَّمْسِ وَجَدَهَا تَغْرُبُ فِي عَيْنٍ حَمِئَةٍ وَوَجَدَ عِندَهَا قَوْمًا قُلْنَا يَا ذَا الْقَرْنَيْنِ إِمَّا أَن تُعَذِّبَ وَإِمَّا أَن تَتَّخِذَ فِيهِمْ حُسْنًا {86

018:086 Khan
:
Until, when he reached the setting place of the sun, he found it setting in a spring of black muddy (or hot) water. And he found near it a people. We (Allah) said (by inspiration): "O Dhul-Qarnain! Either you punish them, or treat them with kindness."

018:086 Maulana
:
Until, when he reached the setting-place of the sun, he found it going down into a black sea, and found by it a people. We said: O Dhu-l-qarnain, either punish them or do them a benefit.

018:086 Pickthal
:
Till, when he reached the setting-place of the sun, he found it setting in a muddy spring, and found a people thereabout. We said: O Dhu'l-Qarneyn! Either punish or show them kindness.

018:086 Rashad
:
When he reached the far west, he found the sun setting in a vast ocean, and found people there. We said, "O Zul-Qarnain, you can rule as you wish; either punish, or be kind to them."

018:086 Sarwar
:
to the West where he found the sun setting into a warm source (spring) of water and a people living near by. We asked him, "Dhu 'l-Qarnayn, you may punish them or treat them with kindness?"

018:086 Shakir
:
Until when he reached the place where the sun set, he found it going down into a black sea, and found by it a people. We said: O Zulqarnain! either give them a chastisement or do them a benefit.

018:086 Sherali
:
Until when he reached the setting-place of the sun, he found it setting as if in a pool of murky water, and near it he found a people. WE said, 'O Dhu'l Qarnain, you may punish them, or treat them with kindness.'

018:086 Yusufali
:
Until, when he reached the setting of the sun, he found it set in a spring of murky water: Near it he found a People: We said: "O Zul-qarnain! (thou hast authority,) either to punish them, or to treat them with kindness."
Now that I have escaped christianity, I can see that it is no more valid than greek mythology. Like you said @hilary, many stories in the bible are attempts at explaining the world around us and they are pretty much obsolete. That is why many christians today toss out those stories (such as adam and eve, the tower of babel, ect..) and are only left with the comfort of a big daddy in the sky that they can ask for help when they need to pass a test or need to get laid.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way - Christopher Hitchens 
(August 13, 2015 at 2:47 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: Sire, I have no need for that idea Smile

-Laplace Smile
Follow Me!
Pierre Simon, no less Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does some people need God? purplepurpose 29 3098 January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Has Science done away with a need for God? Kingpin 152 24771 August 4, 2015 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  Do we need to study all the religions to know that God doesn't exist? Twisted 14 4384 May 9, 2015 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why do we need god? tor 49 8638 March 27, 2014 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Bittersmart
  Science eliminates the need for God(s) thepractice 4 1089 January 5, 2014 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Why Does God Need A Creator? chasingthetruth 107 27837 February 24, 2013 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: Atothetheist