Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neil Degrasse Tyson
Neil Degrasse Tyson
I wanted to know your guys' thoughts on Neil, because I have a very different view of him than many other atheists might have.

I believe that he is a great scientist and is really smart, however his attitudes towards atheism are very cowardly. In the video below he makes many cringe worthy statements. For example at around the 25 second mark he calls atheism a philosophy and claims that with it comes baggage. He also is extremely ignorant when it comes to the terms atheism and agnosticism.

I think it is time that we completely disassociate him from the atheism movement, because that is what he wants us to do. 

RE: Neil Degrasse Tyson
We have a "movement?"

News to me.

Movements are for xtians and bowels.
(August 14, 2015 at 1:02 am)Minimalist Wrote: We have a "movement?"

News to me.

You have dedicated 8 Months, 2 weeks, 6 days, 1 hour, 8 minutes, and 7 seconds of your life to nothing? Ok.
Political correctness at its finest.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
(August 14, 2015 at 2:09 am)Spooky Wrote: Political correctness at its finest.
Tell me about it. We really need to eliminate all progressives for the sake of humanity.
How does this dissociation work exactly? We don't include him in our prayers any more?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 14, 2015 at 1:20 am)Shuffle Wrote:
(August 14, 2015 at 1:02 am)Minimalist Wrote: We have a "movement?"

News to me.

You have dedicated 8 Months, 2 weeks, 6 days, 1 hour, 8 minutes, and 7 seconds of your life to nothing? Ok.

Um.... I come here to have some fun.  If I were interested in a 'movement' I'd be trolling jesus freak boards telling them what assholes they all are.
(August 14, 2015 at 12:59 am)Shuffle Wrote: I think it is time that we completely disassociate him from the atheism movement, because that is what he wants us to do. 

Who's we? Movement? I didn't sign anything. Did he sign anything? -_-
(August 14, 2015 at 2:39 am)Alex K Wrote: How does this dissociation work exactly? We don't include him in our prayers any more?
Well, he says that we "own" him. I don't know exactly what that means, but he seems pretty put off about it.

(August 14, 2015 at 2:44 am)Minimalist Wrote:
(August 14, 2015 at 1:20 am)Shuffle Wrote: You have dedicated 8 Months, 2 weeks, 6 days, 1 hour, 8 minutes, and 7 seconds of your life to nothing? Ok.

Um.... I come here to have some fun.  If I were interested in a 'movement' I'd be trolling jesus freak boards telling them what assholes they all are.
(August 14, 2015 at 2:46 am)Neimenovic Wrote:
(August 14, 2015 at 12:59 am)Shuffle Wrote: I think it is time that we completely disassociate him from the atheism movement, because that is what he wants us to do. 

Who's we? Movement? I didn't sign anything. Did he sign anything? -_-
Calm down. Its ok. We are all fine. Stop getting your panties in a bunch. Geez, I didn't expect so much flak over this. All I was asking was for your opinion on the statements he made, and then I stated my opinions.
(August 14, 2015 at 1:20 am)Shuffle Wrote: You have dedicated 8 Months, 2 weeks, 6 days, 1 hour, 8 minutes, and 7 seconds of your life to nothing? Ok.

So he comes onto a forum, how exactly does that make him part of a movement? How do you reach the conclusion he does this for 'nothing' if not being part of a movement?

(August 14, 2015 at 2:47 am)Shuffle Wrote: Calm down. Its ok. We are all fine. Stop getting your panties in a bunch. Geez, I didn't expect so much flak over this. All I was asking was for your opinion on the statements he made, and then I stated my opinions.

You look like the only person with their panties in a twist to be perfectly fair. You asked for opinions and got them. Surely you realise how silly it is to associate everyone who comes on this forum with a 'movement'? People are only pointing that out, because yes, it's a bit silly, and it's also ironic considering you're chastising someone like NDT for being ignorant while displaying a certain level of ignorance yourself.

That said...

As for the OP, I actually somewhat agree. I think identifying as agnostic but shying away from atheism to be a little cowardly and I wasn't enthralled when I saw that video for the first time myself. But NDT is a scientist first and foremost and personally I only pay attention to what he says in the field he has actual expertise in.

On a side note, I've never thought of NDT as being associated with the 'atheist' movement. More with the pro-science and skeptical thinking crowd, but not necessarily atheism.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Disproving God Mechaghostman2 158 30834 July 14, 2021 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Kudo's to Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Michio Kaku Free Buddhist 52 10201 April 14, 2015 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Neil deGrasse Tyson Explains the meaning of life dyresand 7 2558 January 18, 2015 at 8:45 am
Last Post: c172
  Neil Degrass Tyson is Agnostic bladevalant546 32 10935 September 22, 2013 at 9:57 pm
Last Post: Aeon
  Did Dawkins and Tyson say that and what are the implications. Mark 13:13 126 40423 January 5, 2013 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Neil Degrasse Tyson, Agnostic Whateverist 31 10726 July 10, 2012 at 11:20 am
Last Post: pgrimes15