Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Dawkins and Tyson say that and what are the implications.
Did Dawkins and Tyson say that and what are the implications.
I have transcribed this as best I could from the following video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGenk99YDwY

It occurs at the 34 minute mark for those who want to check on my transcription.

In context Tyson had just outlined how common the ingredients for lie are in the universe and how relatively fast in cosmic time live took to start on earth when...

Dawkins says “ I would go further and say that if ever you meet somebody who wishes to claim that he or she believes that life is unique in the universe, then it would follow from that belief, that the origin of life on this planet would have to be a quite stupifyingly rare and improbable event and that would have the rather odd consequence that when chemists try to work out theories and models of the origin of life, what they should be looking for is a stupendeously improbable theory and implausible theory because if there was a plausible theory about the origin of life that wouldn’t be it because life would have to be everywhere."

Dawkin's then I think realises the implication of his statement and immediately tries to say but if we can't find life it doesn't mean its not out there as it is probably to spread out for us to ever find. Surprisingly close to what we as Theists say about God but you won't take from us.

The first thing that popped into my mind was would GOD be in the category of a stupendeously improbable theory?

so until life is found elsewhere?

ps I did find this before on a shorter clip but that seems to have been shortened now to edit out this piece otherwise I would have just posted it.
RE: Did Dawkins and Tyson say that and what are the implications.
No, it merely means that if life is rare, we may be barking up the wrong tree when we propose likely abiogenesis scenarios. We don't know if life is rare or not, and likely won't be in a position to know for some time to come.
(January 2, 2013 at 5:09 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: No, it merely means that if life is rare, we may be barking up the wrong tree when we propose likely abiogenesis scenarios. We don't know if life is rare or not, and likely won't be in a position to know for some time to come.

would GOD be in the category of a stupendeously improbable theory?
Unless God has suddenly become falsifiable, he is useless in science. There's no possible scenario into which you couldn't insert 'God did it with his omnipotence'. So God does not fall into the category of a stupendously improbable theory, because a scientific theory (the best explanation of the available facts that has stood up to repeated testing) that involves God is impossible, even if God exists.
(January 2, 2013 at 5:18 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Unless God has suddenly become falsifiable, he is useless in science. There's no possible scenario into which you couldn't insert 'God did it with his omnipotence'. So God does not fall into the category of a stupendously improbable theory, because a scientific theory (the best explanation of the available facts that has stood up to repeated testing) that involves God is impossible, even if God exists.

what would the highest degree of stupendously impossable odds be and remember that 0.9 recurring mathematically = 1 certain so at the other end of the scale 0.0..infinite..01 = 0 impossable so I can take your impossable as the pinacle of stuendously impossable odds and therefore God fits by your use of impossable.
Quote:The first thing that popped into my mind was would GOD be in the category of a stupendeously improbable theory?

The MOST stupendously improbable of theories.
(January 2, 2013 at 5:54 pm)Mark 13:13 Wrote:
(January 2, 2013 at 5:18 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Unless God has suddenly become falsifiable, he is useless in science. There's no possible scenario into which you couldn't insert 'God did it with his omnipotence'. So God does not fall into the category of a stupendously improbable theory, because a scientific theory (the best explanation of the available facts that has stood up to repeated testing) that involves God is impossible, even if God exists.

what would the highest degree of stupendously impossable odds be and remember that 0.9 recurring mathematically = 1 certain so at the other end of the scale 0.0..infinite..01 = 0 impossable so I can take your impossable as the pinacle of stuendously impossable odds and therefore God fits by your use of impossable.

See my avatar. Everything is nicely explained there for you.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

The implication that life can be found everywhere must be compounded with the planets that are at an adequate distance from their star in order to provide the necessary temperature for liquid water and proteins to endure. Also these planets cannot be too large, or gravity will become a problem.
How close to ours is any such planet?
How can we determine if such a planet has life at the distance that we are from them?
(January 2, 2013 at 6:23 pm)pocaracas Wrote: The implication that life can be found everywhere must be compounded with the planets that are at an adequate distance from their star in order to provide the necessary temperature for liquid water and proteins to endure. Also these planets cannot be too large, or gravity will become a problem.
How close to ours is any such planet?
How can we determine if such a planet has life at the distance that we are from them?

Yep thats what Dawkins said when he realised the possable implications of his slip in what was a friendly enviroment, i think he wouldn,t have let that slip in a more hostile debating enviroment. and as I said is surprisingly similar to the Theist arguement of how can you ever find God when He exists Transcendental to the Universe.
(January 2, 2013 at 6:37 pm)Mark 13:13 Wrote: Yep thats what Dawkins said when he realised the possable implications of his slip in what was a friendly enviroment, i think he wouldn,t have let that slip in a more hostile debating enviroment. and as I said is surprisingly similar to the Theist arguement of how can you ever find God when He exists Transcendental to the Universe.

Drich, is that you?... hmmm no, Drich writes possiable.

What does "God [...]exists Transcendental to the Universe" mean?
How can you compare that to the appearance of life in a far away planet that has all the right conditions for it?... but we just don't know where it is, yet (you know, because it is really far away and we don't have the appropriate tools for it... yet).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things Atheists say... Authari 26 1159 January 9, 2024 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights. Nishant Xavier 63 3264 July 15, 2023 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1434 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Disproving God Mechaghostman2 158 30844 July 14, 2021 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Dawkins loses humanist title Foxaèr 165 6499 June 6, 2021 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2322 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Richard Dawkins interviews Saudi Arabian atheist Rana Ahmad AniKoferBo 2 801 July 22, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Ricky Gervais won Dawkins award this year Fake Messiah 13 2283 September 6, 2019 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11357 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5685 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer