Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neil Degrasse Tyson, Agnostic
Neil Degrasse Tyson, Agnostic
So Neil probably wonders why we have a forum to discuss something, theism, which the great majority of us don't participate in.

http://youtu.be/CzSMC5rWvos

I suspect, as an educator, he is mostly being strategic by not wanting to go off message on religion when his mission is science. I doubt that he himself is a theist, he probably just doesn't think there is any urgent reason to take apart religion.

So why are we here? What about what doesn't interest us is interesting enough to discuss? Perhaps we're here to support each other in getting clear of the social/religious networks into which we're born. Personally I lean toward avoiding proclamations about the status of gods. When it comes to shit we don't even know exists, why hurry to judgement?
RE: Neil Degrasse Tyson, Agnostic
Hes a scientist, period.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
I can agree with Neil. I far too busy finding out shit to be bothered with religion and make believe.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
He's making fun of atheists a little there and trivialising the effect of religion..."do we have a word for those that don't play golf? do we have a word for those that don't ski? Do they have meetings about how they are non skiers?".

Hang on a minute Mr Tyson, do skiers go around claiming knowledge without supporting evidence? do skiers start wars with skaters? are policies made based on the belief in skiing? Do skiers infest every facet of life? No. That's why there are no "skiing opposition groups" That's why there are no "agolfers".

"Atheists are active, in your face, they want to change policies"...saying it like its a negative thing. He's entitled to his opinion of course, and maybe he is annoyed at being "claimed" by a group that he says he doesn't belong to, so I can understand that, but I don't agree with the points I've highlighted here.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(July 9, 2012 at 7:09 am)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: He's making fun of atheists a little there and trivialising the effect of religion..."do we have a word for those that don't play golf? do we have a word for those that don't ski? Do they have meetings about how they are non skiers?".

Also everyone who is asked "Are you a golfer ?" can answer yes or no, not "I'd prefer not to be encumbered with a label so I will dodge that question"

Regards

Grimesy
"I may play golf but it doesn't define me"
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

I have nothing against individual golfers - indeed I have some friends that are golfers - so long as they don't try and force it upon me. That may drive a "wedge" between us.

Regards

Grimesy
Golf was was originally devised by the Scots as an exquisite form of torture to inflict upon their ancient enemies, the English.

Of course the Scots failed to take into consideration the fact that the English are masochistic by nature(look at their "cuisine"), and in fact took to this torture with relish.

They would have been better advised to stick to their earlier weapons of mass destruction, the bag pipes.

Because if I for one saw a horde of skirt wearing madmen coming towards me while biting the tail of a cat they were clutching under one arm, I'd fuck off in the other direction quick smart.

Badger
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Or .. this world doesn't really matter. It merely makes it possible to afford greens fees. When I golf, I go to a better place.
I am looking at the Alpha Course in a new light.

Regards

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Disproving God Mechaghostman2 158 30855 July 14, 2021 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Question from an agnostic chrisNub 41 9369 March 30, 2018 at 7:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1390 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 5899 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3026 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Everyone is Agnostic z7z 16 3388 June 26, 2016 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? AgnosticMan123 160 25413 June 6, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them? CindyBaker 17 3649 April 18, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Albert Einstein the Agnostic MattB 21 6131 February 23, 2016 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: MattB
  Neil Degrasse Tyson Shuffle 96 20769 August 25, 2015 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Shuffle