Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
just one thing..
just one thing..
Good morfterning to all.
May I start by stating that I subscribe to logical reasonable thought and therefore do not accept the spurious tales of scripture.

However, I have been troubled for many years by a seance that was conducted in my old house, which was started by 'us kids', but was later hijacked by the adults present. Needless to say, there was plenty of 'assistance' by the younger crowd in the early stages, and conversations with Elvis etc. were plentiful..

Later in the evening, things started getting weird. My Two Aunties and a close family friend (both of which are skeptics, while the family friend is an outspoken aetheist, and proud of it..), received a 'communication' directed toward my mother. The message was from a very old friend, whom was known to no-one except her..'peace at last'..

I realise this sounds ludicrous, but if anyone could offer some sort of reasonable explanation, i would be grateful, as i find it interferes with my otherwise evolved convictions..
RE: just one thing..
Uh, first, what is with the pseudo intellectual speech?

Second, no supernatural events have ever held up, when actually tested scientifically, and such events have actually been replicated by people like Houdini and shown to be simply tricks.
[Image: Canadatheist3copy.jpg?t=1270015625]
(April 29, 2010 at 3:27 am)lukec Wrote: Uh, first, what is with the pseudo intellectual speech?

Forgive me..I read a lot.

as for the supernatural.. the whole thing was done tongue-in-cheek, no-one expected anything to come of it.. so i cant help wondering who the 'trickster' was.. and to reiterate, i am quite aware how implausible it sounds.
The supernatural is im-fucking-plausible indeed.

EvF
(April 29, 2010 at 4:11 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: The supernatural is im-fucking-plausible indeed.

EvF

agreed, i'm just looking for a rational theory to explain it..i'm confident jeebus wasn't involved, but i am at a loss as to how it happened. It bothers me.
You mean.... the origins of religious belief?

EvF
(April 29, 2010 at 4:43 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: You mean.... the origins of religious belief?

EvF

no, the anomoly in my otherwise normal life experience. please don't think i'm trolling.. i am just trying to find an explanation for a creepy experience. my family members aren't keen on discussing it as it gives them the 'willies'..i am hoping to find someone able to put some rationale into the equation.
When you say "received communication", what exactly does that mean? Auntie claimed she heard a voice? WeeGee board spell it out? A disembodied finger wrote it on the frosty window? Wispy smoke rose up from the table and spelled it out? Somebody farted? What?

I'm thinking it was something you could easily identify as faked. Unless you are holding onto something like "Auntie Rose said she heard the voice and Auntie Rose wouldn't lie".

Fill in some detail on this alleged 'communication' and I'm betting it will become apparent "you kids" were duped.

Probably for the adults entertainment.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
I've done Ouija boards before. It's a load of fun, especially when you know how it works. Tiny movements in your hands (which get restless when having to stay in the same position for any length of time) help move the glass. The rest is down to group will. Most people predict the words in their head before they are spelt out. For instance, if the question asked was "What is your name?" and the glass moves to A, and then D, then R, most people by this point have the name "Adrian" in their heads and that group knowledge (though not shared openly) helps move the glass to the rest of the letters.
(April 29, 2010 at 8:36 am)Tiberius Wrote: I've done Ouija boards before. It's a load of fun, especially when you know how it works. Tiny movements in your hands (which get restless when having to stay in the same position for any length of time) help move the glass. The rest is down to group will. Most people predict the words in their head before they are spelt out. For instance, if the question asked was "What is your name?" and the glass moves to A, and then D, then R, most people by this point have the name "Adrian" in their heads and that group knowledge (though not shared openly) helps move the glass to the rest of the letters.

Precisely. It is more an experiment in psychology than a way to communicate with the 'spirit world'. Much of the time the explanation is far less complicated. Someone was pulling your leg.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best thing about ____________ ( fill in blank) onlinebiker 3 312 March 13, 2022 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Just for one hour ! AniKoferBo 25 1894 August 14, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I just found the coolest thing on the planet The Valkyrie 5 563 July 14, 2021 at 7:08 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  One thing I hate about the human language. Brian37 13 1147 June 25, 2021 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  The good thing about being forgetful and bills.... Brian37 13 701 July 25, 2020 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  My cat is the weirdest thing Foxaèr 17 1770 October 9, 2018 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Mermaid
  Say the nicest thing about the user above. Mystic 26 1850 October 7, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The biggest thing I've learned as I've got older is... robvalue 80 4999 September 27, 2018 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Hobbitgirl
  The best thing about being dead is ... Gawdzilla Sama 17 1466 June 15, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  One Thing In Fiction That Always Causes Me To Facepalm Amarok 23 3992 May 1, 2018 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: KevinM1