Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where Did You Go?
Where Did You Go?
I have noticed a recurring tread in all of my previous threads that really bothers me. For some reason, sooner or later, my response to a theist's post goes ignored. It is really frustrating because I am trying to have a constructive conversation with the person, however it is impossible.  I just wanted to know why you guys do it and maybe prevent it in the future.

Thanks!
RE: Where Did You Go?
(August 20, 2015 at 11:56 pm)Shuffle Wrote: I have noticed a recurring tread in all of my previous threads that really bothers me. For some reason, sooner or later, my response to a theist's post goes ignored. It is really frustrating because I am trying to have a constructive conversation with the person, however it is impossible.  I just wanted to know why you guys do it and maybe prevent it in the future.

Thanks!

You ask a question they can't answer, honestly or not, and they tend to do that.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Or, perhaps like us, the set-up questions begin to get repetitive. I never need to hear an evangelist tell me he used to be an atheist, or that they got mad at god too once. Same goes for all the something from nothing crapola, why be moral without god bullshit and life has no meaning without god nonstarter.

I have to think there are questions those who hang out on an atheist site hear all the time.
(August 21, 2015 at 12:27 am)Whateverist the White Wrote: Or, perhaps like us, the set-up questions begin to get repetitive.  I never need to hear an evangelist tell me he used to be an atheist, or that they got mad at god too once.  Same goes for all the something from nothing crapola, why be moral without god bullshit and life has no meaning without god nonstarter.  

I have to think there are questions those who hang out on an atheist site hear all the time.

Right, but the difference is, there's theists here who supposedly come to learn and have 'constructive conversation' on an atheist forum. And upon making claim after claim of unverifiable bullshit, it's more than a little rude to just avoid the conversation when questioned on it. Especially all the while preaching that you're here for such a conversation.

To be fair, a lot of theists get a huge amount of criticism, and often have responses flying their way. I'm not unaware of that, but it's to be expected really and not an excuse for flagrant avoidance.
(August 20, 2015 at 11:56 pm)Shuffle Wrote: I have noticed a recurring tread in all of my previous threads that really bothers me. For some reason, sooner or later, my response to a theist's post goes ignored. It is really frustrating because I am trying to have a constructive conversation with the person, however it is impossible.  I just wanted to know why you guys do it and maybe prevent it in the future.

Thanks!

Could be you're assuming it's us, you are the only common factor and usually that means the common factor is the cause.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(August 21, 2015 at 4:58 am)Napoléon Wrote:
(August 21, 2015 at 12:27 am)Whateverist the White Wrote: Or, perhaps like us, the set-up questions begin to get repetitive.  I never need to hear an evangelist tell me he used to be an atheist, or that they got mad at god too once.  Same goes for all the something from nothing crapola, why be moral without god bullshit and life has no meaning without god nonstarter.  

Right, but the difference is, there's theists here who supposedly come to learn and have 'constructive conversation' on an atheist forum. And upon making claim after claim of unverifiable bullshit, it's more than a little rude to just avoid the conversation when questioned on it. Especially all the while preaching that you're here for such a conversation.

To be fair, a lot of theists get a huge amount of criticism, and often have responses flying their way. I'm not unaware of that, but it's to be expected really and not an excuse for flagrant avoidance.

Well I know I'm not here to meet anyone's expectations so I just assume the same must be true of xtians.
Quote: Could be you're assuming it's us, you are the only common factor and usually that means the common factor is the cause.

GC

Nope that's a common theme whenever theists are pressed, to honest it also happens on political forums when one side is presented with awkward questions and as such is generally seen as the point when one side is unable to continue the debate without self incrimination or facing uncomfortable answers.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(August 21, 2015 at 10:40 am)Whateverist the White Wrote: Well I know I'm not here to meet anyone's expectations so I just assume the same must be true of xtians.

If this place wasn't called "atheist" forums I might agree with you. Or should I say, if this place wasn't called "atheist" forums, expectations wouldn't necessarily matter.

Thanks!

I do my best to respond to questions honestly and I will admit that sometimes a topic can get derailed in to many subtopics and trying to keep up with all of it is tough and things get missed.  I know I've been in several threads like that where I'm essentially discussing three topics in the same thread with different people.  If there is something you asked and I missed it, I'm sorry.  Honestly for me, if you hit me up with a PM about it and let me know, I would do my best to respond in the thread.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
I think sometimes people of vastly different opinions hit an impasse where continued conversation would just be going around and around the bush. I think in those cases it's okay to not answer. You could post that things are getting redundant, but why bother?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I guess you never thought about it, did you? Little Rik 68 16076 September 24, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  Did you know the movies God's Not Dead 1 and 2 did well at Box Office? Renug 12 4427 May 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Did you believe in Santa? Longhorn 43 7342 April 28, 2015 at 7:45 am
Last Post: John V
  Why Do You or Did You Believe? Jenny A 49 7977 July 1, 2014 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Chad32
  Shadowwolf, how did you test your religion? Bad Wolf 8 1632 June 27, 2013 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Walking Void