Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Why Do You or Did You Believe?
Why Do You or Did You Believe?
As a person who can't remember ever believing in god I have a serious question for believers:

Why do you believe?

I want to be very very clear here. I'm not asking you to try to prove god. I'm only asking what it is that makes you believe even if it's no more than I always have.

For atheists who once believed I ask the same question:

Why did you believe?

And I add a second question:

What made you stop believing?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
RE: Why Do You or Did You Believe?
Never really did beyond the "mommy wouldn't lie to me" stage. I tried really fucking hard though. It never took.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
The only thing that I can know for certain is that I can be certain of nothing Thinking
Back when I believed, I had no reason to think my grandmother didn't know what she was talking about. I was just a kid, and most parents teach their kid to obey the adults no matter what.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(June 28, 2014 at 6:31 pm)GalacticBusDriver Wrote: Never really did beyond the "mommy wouldn't lie to me" stage. I tried really fucking hard though. It never took.
That's kinda where I am. Only I just couldn't figure out why mommy thought so. And yeah, I tried really hard about three different times in my life.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I was taught that not believing would result in eternal torture. So it was easier to just believe everything that I was told.

What made me stop believing? I started reading the bible
When I read Matthew 15:24 (ERV) I kicked the fairy tale to the curb. "24 Jesus answered, “God sent me only to the lost people of Israel.”"
(June 28, 2014 at 6:41 pm)Citizenoftheearth Wrote: I was taught that not believing would result in eternal torture. So it was easier to just believe everything that I was told.

What made me stop believing? I started reading the bible

That seems to be a common reason for losing faith. It's a strange book.
(June 28, 2014 at 6:28 pm)Jenny A Wrote: For atheists who once believed I ask the same question:

Why did you believe?

I believed because I was very young (less than 12 years old) and possess little critical thinking, it was simply the normal way of looking at the world. My parents didn't indoctrinate me even though they gave me the basis of Christianity (but I was never sent to have official religious educations with priests)

To answer your second question, I simply thought (about 13 or 14 years old) - "Why do I believe someone exists if I have never seen/felt/heard/smelled him? This simple question was enough and I guess I was always a functioning atheist, I just didn't stop believing earlier because my intellectual skills when I was 10 (the same applies to most regular kids) were not enough for me to think 'Does god really exist'.

I should note that after that I stopped being an atheist and became a deists of some sort by some time, but then again, critical thinking came back and atheism won the match inside my match. I guess I was always an atheist, I just never realized or accepted it at all times.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(June 28, 2014 at 6:28 pm)Jenny A Wrote: As a person who can't remember ever believing in god I have a serious question for believers:

Why do you believe?

I want to be very very clear here. I'm not asking you to try to prove god. I'm only asking what it is that makes you believe even if it's no more than I always have.

For atheists who once believed I ask the same question:

Why did you believe?

I think when we think of ourselves or have a perception of others, we do so with faith but it's a strong justified faith. The same is the case with certain memories.

I think when we think of morality and morals, it's an amazing thing, and we have faith in it even though there is no evidence that we ought to have faith in morality or believe in certain morals.

I feel God is part of the world we live in, in the sense, he is part of every soul, or that there is a substance that comes from him. I believe we can sense our link to God and even see God himself but this is simply a meditative realization.

I think God's glory can be experienced and it's eternity being a property can be witnessed too.

The eternal nature of beauty, greatness, goodness, and glory, to me, is one of the proofs of God.

If someone asked you what makes you believe in morality, what would you say?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did God give commandments to Jews? Fake Messiah 12 875 August 11, 2022 at 10:10 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why did God get rid of the Trilobites? Jehanne 41 2933 October 24, 2021 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why did God allow his words to be changed? Fake Messiah 53 4094 October 23, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 24024 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3831 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1354 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2547 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  So why did the hook nose "become a thing" in discriminatory appearance? Roberto 12 3584 January 23, 2018 at 5:52 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  I guess you never thought about it, did you? Little Rik 68 16347 September 24, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7906 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus