Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did I do something wrong? I just got called a radical feminist.
Did I do something wrong? I just got called a radical feminist.
So, I was debating a presumably religious person on YouTube about Corinthians 7:3-5 which says:

"3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control."

I tried to show him the problem with that verse, and how it causes conflict in modern day morality regarding sex. I mentioned that this verse implies that if one person wants sex, and the other doesn't, the other has to submit. Which would mean a response like "I don't want to, but I will because I'm obligated." I told him that this isn't a real yes, that it's NOT consent. I also said "fine, whatever" is not really consent... and for some reason, he got extremely offended.

He wrote:

Quote:"Giving an "I really don't want to, but I'll do it because I'm supposed to," or "Okay, fine, whatever" type of response is not consent."

You are a fucking lunatic. What you just said is beyond insane. I guess I'm a multiple rape victim.

"That's not an enthusiastic yes. If it's not a serious enthusiastic yes, it's not consent."

I see, you're an insane radfem. You are worse than a religious nutjob. This conversation is over. Have fun in crazy world!

He resorted to slander, and called me a radical feminist. I'm not even a feminist. I don't understand. If it's not a real yes, it's not consent. Is there something I did wrong? Is it how I worded myself? What the fuck?
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
RE: Did I do something wrong? I just got called a radical feminist.
What you said sounds fine to me. That person you're debating sounds messed up in the head.

I agree, anything other than full, committed consent is not consent. Giving in to someone who is harassing you for sex, or because you know they expect it, is not consent. It's being a victim of coercion. It sounds like this person has no problem with coercion.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(August 25, 2015 at 2:26 am)robvalue Wrote: What you said sounds fine to me. That person you're debating sounds messed up in the head.

I agree, anything other than full, committed consent is not consent. Giving in to someone who is harassing you for sex, or because you know they expect it, is not consent. It's being a victim of coercion. It sounds like this person has no problem with coercion.

I guess so. I never had such an angry response from someone when standing up for consent and a person's right to say "no." I mean I had people who'd disagree on what counts as consent, but it was never such an angry hateful response like this. It just blew my mind that I'm discussing consent vs the bible with someone but out of nowhere they got so offended that they would call me a radfem lunatic. It completely caught me off guard. No joke. I'm not saying it's the worst possible response, I'm just saying I've never seen such a hateful response like this when discussing consent.
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

(August 25, 2015 at 2:22 am)IanHulett Wrote: So, I was debating a presumably religious person on YouTube

This was your first mistake.
(August 25, 2015 at 2:40 am)Ayen Wrote:
(August 25, 2015 at 2:22 am)IanHulett Wrote: So, I was debating a presumably religious person on YouTube

Spit Coffee

Totally. I find it sickening that anyone could be offended by the idea that clear consent is very important. I dread to think what world their mind lives in Sad
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(August 25, 2015 at 2:40 am)Ayen Wrote:

Hey, we all have done it. Right... Right?
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Yeah, we've all done it. At some point we come to the realisation that YouTube comment sections are like the sewer of the sewer of the sewer. They must be actively breeding people ignorant and hateful enough to fill the quotas.

Index of my best videos
I just pretend they're all poes or bots to retain my sanity
YouTube comments section is where discussions go to die. Horribly.

I avoid reading them, let alone responding. Especially when feminism is brought up, because inevitable rantings of anti-feminist douche-bags make me feel - quite frankly - ashamed to have a penis.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Something to watch for (or avoid) The Valkyrie 24 2211 October 4, 2023 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Something to think about .... scamper 16 1601 November 13, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  A hint at something deeper Ahriman 0 206 October 5, 2022 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  The right way to be and the wrong way to be Ahriman 57 4500 April 29, 2022 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  I went to the wrong kind of school. onlinebiker 5 434 April 20, 2022 at 3:26 pm
  Something for nothing onlinebiker 92 4606 September 14, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The really real Something For Nothing no one 1 385 September 12, 2021 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Little green men just got real. ignoramus 87 6876 July 7, 2021 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Pizza, just bit the bullet, trying something new. Brian37 19 1220 June 14, 2021 at 11:58 am
  What ya got growing this summer? brewer 11 485 June 5, 2021 at 8:25 pm