Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Seat of Man's Intellect: What Says Your God?
The Seat of Man's Intellect: What Says Your God?
In the ancient world, there was some confusion as to the precise location of the intellect, or the “ruling faculty.” Is it, they pondered, to be placed in the head, as Plato thought, or more specifically the brain, as insisted Hippocrates? In the heart, as Aristotle and the Stoics believed? Does it float about somehow throughout the entire body? The 2nd century physician Galen of Pergamon admitted that he “blushed to quote” Aristotle on the topic, who wrote:

“And, of course, the brain is not responsible for any of the sensations at all; it has no more power of sensation than any of the residues. People adopt these erroneous views because they are unable to discover the reason why some of the senses are placed in the head; but they see that the head is a somewhat unusual part, compared with the rest, so they put two and two together and argue that the brain is the seat of sensation. The correct view, that the seat and source of sensation is the region of the heart, has already been set forth in the treatise Of Sensation…” (Parts of Animals, 656a)

And again, to cite but a couple of the multiple examples from the otherwise reputable philosopher and naturalist:

“So in sanguineous animals the source of both sensitive and nutritive soul must lie in the heart…” (On Youth and Old Age, On Life and Death, On Breathing, 469a)

Given that Aristotle was writing in the 4th century BCE, it’s understandable that he and his fellow naturalists might have to rely on a degree of speculation no longer applicable to us moderns. It’s unfortunate, however, that he didn’t simply ask the Jews, for as Tertullian can boast:

“Better than all others, there are our Christian authorities. We are taught by God concerning both these questions - viz. that there is a ruling power in the soul, and that it is enshrined in one particular recess of the body.” (De Anima, XV)

Well, good for him! Whereas the Greeks and the Romans only had the silly myths and falsehoods of the demonically inclined poets and philosophers, he had the supremely wise creator of the universe whispering such secrets into the ears(?) of the faithful. So, what did God inspire the “Christian authorities” to write so that the matter (or soul?) could be settled once and for all?

“Because God is the witness of the inmost self
and the sure observer of the heart…” (Wisdom 1:6)

“If you say, ‘But we knew nothing about this,’
   does not he who weighs the heart perceive it?” (Proverbs 24:12)

“Search me, God, and know my heart;
   test me and know my anxious thoughts.” (Psalms 139:23)

But wait, I know, that’s the Old Testament, when God was still speaking in symbols and allegories and had yet sent the Word to become flesh and reveal the truth about man’s relationship to God, which of course, does not take place in the heart but rather in the brain. Surely he knows how embarrassing such a mistake would appear if it remained uncorrected on the lips of Jesus or his hand-picked mouthpieces, the apostles.

“But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” (Matthew 5:28)

“Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, 'Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts?'” (Matthew 9:4)

“For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.” (Romans 10:10)

“If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.” (1 John 3:20)

Well, I’m sure there’s a perfectly reasonable explanation for this, right Tertullian?

“Both points are cleared fully up, that there is a directing faculty of the soul, with which the purpose of God may agree; in other words, a supreme principle of intelligence and vitality (for where there is intelligence, there must be vitality), and that it resides in that most precious part of our body to which God especially looks: so that you must not suppose, with Heraclitus, that this sovereign faculty of which we are treating is moved by some external force; nor with Moschion, that it floats about through the whole body; nor with Plato, that it is enclosed in the head; nor with Zenophanes, that it culminates in the crown of the head; nor that it reposes in the brain, according to the opinion of Hippocrates; nor around the basis of the brain, as Herophilus thought; nor in the membranes thereof, as Strato and Erasistratus said; nor in the space between the eyebrows, as Strato the physician held; nor within the enclosure of the breast, according to Epicurus: but rather, as the Egyptians have always taught, especially such of them as were accounted the expounders of sacred truths; in accordance, too, with that verse of Orpheus or Empedocles:
‘Namque homini sanguis circumcordialis est sensus.’
‘Man has his (supreme) sensation in the blood around his heart.’” (De Anima, XV)

Of course, Tertullian, or rather the Bible, won’t be up to snuff for our "intellectual" theologians, so they’ll find some other means for interpreting this “non-literally” as they always do when it suits their needs. But it sure is strange how the “wisdom” of the Bible seems to be - and only be - updatable when the inquiries of men, questioning the so-called authorities, discover information that everyone else can see flatly contradicts the most straightforward reading of such “sacred texts.” Perhaps in reference to these scriptures and the author(s) behind them, our religionist friends should take Tertullian's conclusion to heart (pun intended):

"Let all those (worthies), too, who have predetermined the character of the human soul... be quite sure that it is themselves rather who are alive in a heartless and brainless state."

[Image: heart-shaped-brain-conceptual-artwork-pasieka.jpg]
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: The Seat of Man's Intellect: What Says Your God?
Using religion to answer what I consider a medical question is a recipe for disaster.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
(August 29, 2015 at 1:48 pm)Spooky Wrote: Using religion to answer what I consider a medical question is a recipe for disaster.
Of course. But to that I must wonder, how is it a disaster for answering questions of relative simplicity, and yet a sure solution to questions of seemingly infinite difficulty?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
"Heart" as it refers to intelligence/soul/equivalent I consider something of an abstract.  As with any abstract, a definite answer isn't always sure to exist.  Center of intellect is now well known, "Heart" or "Soul" is still unproven.  When I hear "Heart" I think unconscious. 

Is this another attempt on religion's part to control and catalog everything within its own definitions?
(August 29, 2015 at 2:06 pm)Spooky Wrote: "Heart" as it refers to intelligence/soul/equivalent I consider something of an abstract.  As with any abstract, a definite answer isn't always sure to exist.

Is this another attempt on religion's part to control and catalog everything within its own definitions?
What does "heart" have to do with "intelligence" or "soul" or "mind"? The assumption is that either God knows how to use the words he's causing his communicators to write down for all of history, or that the people who wrote the word "heart" understood exactly what everyone - such as Aristotle or Tertullian - would take it to signify: the seat of man's intellect, soul, ruling faculty, whatever you want to call it.
It might be interesting, though irrelevant, to note that the "Heart Shape" as it appears in your picture originates with the female buttocks while the subject is bent over.
(August 29, 2015 at 2:10 pm)Nestor Wrote: What does "heart" have to do with "intelligence" or "soul" or "mind"? The assumption is that either God knows how to use the words he's causing his communicators to write down for all of history, or that the people who wrote the word "heart" understood exactly what everyone - such as Aristotle or Tertullian - would take it to signify: the seat of man's intellect, soul, ruling faculty, whatever you want to call it.

More often than not I've heard "Heart and Soul" referred to as the same item.  Heart/Soul/Intelligence/Intellect/Etc.  Whatever adjective/noun is used is still describing the same thing.

Perhaps I misunderstood you.  The argument is not over what that "Thing" is?
I might also not be fit to answer the question, because I don't have a god that would render an answer.

A good question, and I look forward to seeing some of the answers.
(August 29, 2015 at 2:14 pm)Spooky Wrote:
(August 29, 2015 at 2:10 pm)Nestor Wrote: What does "heart" have to do with "intelligence" or "soul" or "mind"? The assumption is that either God knows how to use the words he's causing his communicators to write down for all of history, or that the people who wrote the word "heart" understood exactly what everyone - such as Aristotle or Tertullian - would take it to signify: the seat of man's intellect, soul, ruling faculty, whatever you want to call it.

More often than not I've heard "Heart and Soul" referred to as the same item.  Heart/Soul/Intelligence/Intellect/Etc.  Whatever adjective/noun is used is still describing the same thing.

Perhaps I misunderstood you.  The argument is not over what that "Thing" is?
No. The argument is over where such a "Thing" is active in relation to a human body. I can assure you, it's not the heart, and when the ancients speak of it floating "about through the whole body," being "enclosed in the head" or "the crown of the head," or "around the basis of the brain," or "in the membranes thereof," or "in the space between the eyebrows," there's no confusion over what "body," "head," "crown," "brain," "membranes," or "space between the eyebrows" may be referring to. But you think when it talks of the "heart" it has a non-literal, special meaning?
(August 29, 2015 at 2:10 pm)Nestor Wrote:
(August 29, 2015 at 2:06 pm)Spooky Wrote: "Heart" as it refers to intelligence/soul/equivalent I consider something of an abstract.  As with any abstract, a definite answer isn't always sure to exist.

What does "heart" have to do with "intelligence" or "soul" or "mind"? The assumption is that either God knows how to use the words he's causing his communicators to write down for all of history, or that the people who wrote the word "heart" understood exactly what everyone - such as Aristotle or Tertullian - would take it to signify: the seat of man's intellect, soul, ruling faculty, whatever you want to call it.

http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/w...-is-a-soul

also

II. "BODY AND SOUL BUT TRULY ONE"

362 The human person, created in the image of God, is a being at once corporeal and spiritual. The biblical account expresses this reality in symbolic language when it affirms that "then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being."229 Man, whole and entire, is therefore willed by God.

363 In Sacred Scripture the term "soul" often refers to human life or the entire human person.230 But "soul" also refers to the innermost aspect of man, that which is of greatest value in him,231 that by which he is most especially in God's image: "soul" signifies the spiritual principle in man.

364 The human body shares in the dignity of "the image of God": it is a human body precisely because it is animated by a spiritual soul, and it is the whole human person that is intended to become, in the body of Christ, a temple of the Spirit:232

Man, though made of body and soul, is a unity. Through his very bodily condition he sums up in himself the elements of the material world. Through him they are thus brought to their highest perfection and can raise their voice in praise freely given to the Creator. For this reason man may not despise his bodily life. Rather he is obliged to regard his body as good and to hold it in honor since God has created it and will raise it up on the last day. 233

365 The unity of soul and body is so profound that one has to consider the soul to be the "form" of the body:234 i.e., it is because of its spiritual soul that the body made of matter becomes a living, human body; spirit and matter, in man, are not two natures united, but rather their union forms a single nature.

366 The Church teaches that every spiritual soul is created immediately by God - it is not "produced" by the parents - and also that it is immortal: it does not perish when it separates from the body at death, and it will be reunited with the body at the final Resurrection.235

367 Sometimes the soul is distinguished from the spirit: St. Paul for instance prays that God may sanctify his people "wholly", with "spirit and soul and body" kept sound and blameless at the Lord's coming.236 The Church teaches that this distinction does not introduce a duality into the soul.237 "Spirit" signifies that from creation man is ordered to a supernatural end and that his soul can gratuitously be raised beyond all it deserves to communion with God.238

368 The spiritual tradition of the Church also emphasizes the heart, in the biblical sense of the depths of one's being, where the person decides for or against God.239

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Bible Says So YahwehIsTheWay 24 3409 December 7, 2018 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  World ending on April 23rd, says false prophet Divinity 41 8544 April 27, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Pope says in interview that there is no hell. downbeatplumb 56 9792 April 16, 2018 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Tell All Book Says Pat Robertson Full of Shit Minimalist 12 3541 September 29, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Atheist73
  Who Says Godscreated 153 35547 September 15, 2017 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  What the bible says Hell is like sinnerdaniel94 843 125782 September 11, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Physical man VS Spiritual man Won2blv 33 6058 July 9, 2016 at 9:54 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Love the Lord your God with all your heart ? Angrboda 144 22990 June 20, 2016 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Billy Graham's Daughter says transgender people responsible for 9/11 Aroura 23 4867 May 15, 2016 at 7:02 am
Last Post: abaris
  Russian man on trial for 'no God' comment in internet chat zebo-the-fat 20 3080 March 3, 2016 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: abaris