Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dan Brown Books.
Dan Brown Books.
I imagine a few people have read at least one of his books.  I happen to have read two.  The Da Vinci Code, and Angels and Demons. 

I wasn't a fan of either of them.  The story telling was rather dull.  Robert Langdon always had information he could have shared that would have cut the plot by a few chapters.  The writing was at times awful.  Just the way he'd begin some sentences.  And I wouldn't criticize him for that if he weren't a best selling author.  The books themselves were just... dull in my opinion.  I can understand the appeal to some people -- the cliffhanger at the end of most chapters.  It can keep some people on the edge of their seat.  

Worst of all, I think, though were the historical inaccuracies.  And those would normally be fine in a work of fiction, but Dawn Brown likes to state that he did his research.  It's gotten so bad that there's a Trope that is called Dan Browned.  He often goes far off from the truth, and of course he makes the claim that he's 99% accurate.  Which leads to people thinking things happened that really didn't. 

But that got me to thinking.  What other book makes those same claims?  Well other than a lot of them.  Most importantly: The Bible.  It makes those claims.  And it made me wonder if Dan Brown was being clever with it.  Trying to say "A book isn't true just because it says it's true."  Now, I'm not sure he's actually that clever.  But I can't help but wonder if maybe -- just maybe -- the message of his books is not to take claims at face value.
RE: Dan Brown Books.
I thought The DaVinci Code was a very cool movie - as long as you accepted that it was fiction and didn't try to square it with actual history. Didn't care for Angels and Demons though.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Pap literature.

His only redeeming feature is that he annoys the jesus freaks.
Well, Dan Brown's books are clearly labeled as fiction.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I enjoyed Angels and Demons for the sheer wackiness, didn't mind Da Vinci Code, largely for the same reasons. Deception Point, Digital Fortress and Lost Symbol I really struggled with.
Going from memory, one thing I noticed was that everything was a huge deal. It all seemed to have a very strange view of the world, like everything was in a sense of absurdly heightened reality. Hard to explain, but I hope you know what I mean.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
I have enjoyed each of his books. I liked his most recent book, Inferno, dealing with overpopulation, as it didn't end how you might think it would.

I enjoy them for what they clearly are, which are genre fiction chase thrillers. If I try to read anything more into them, I'd probably be disappointed in them. One thing he is pretty accurate on is architecture and cityscapes, and he is really good at transporting you to Venice, Rome, DC, Paris, etc.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(August 31, 2015 at 12:56 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: I have enjoyed each of his books. I liked his most recent book, Inferno, dealing with overpopulation, as it didn't end how you might think it would.

I enjoy them for what they clearly are, which are genre fiction chase thrillers. If I try to read anything more into them, I'd probably be disappointed in them. One thing he is pretty accurate on is architecture and cityscapes, and he is really good at transporting you to Venice, Rome, DC, Paris, etc.

That's me. I also enjoyed them for what they are, fiction. I haven't read "Inferno" yet. It's on my list, but keeps getting pushed back by Sci-fi and Fantasy titles. Smile

It seems to be the in thing lately to "bash Dan Brown." I can understand that not everybody will like his books, but he gets as much bashing as Stephanie Meyer. Brown may not be the best author ever, but compared to a hack like Meyer (yes, I've read her tripe) he's a Pulitzer candidate.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
There is nothing wrong with the Twilight Saga either. >.>
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Angels&Demons is my guilty pleasure. As a trained particle physicist, I don't notice the historical inaccuracies so much next to Brown's ridiculous grasp of physics Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 31, 2015 at 1:21 am)Kitan Wrote: There is nothing wrong with the Twilight Saga either.  >.>

Nope. Nothing at all.

Except that someone actually published it. Tongue
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favourite books/author The Valkyrie 50 2652 April 28, 2021 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The Most Awful Books Ever The Architect Of Fate 18 1409 June 19, 2020 at 3:45 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  atheism books recommendations WolfsChild 8 972 May 24, 2019 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Books Icy 55 4333 November 27, 2018 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  20 books considered the worst Foxaèr 29 4493 July 21, 2018 at 3:05 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Let's Talk About Books Shell B 65 7561 January 22, 2018 at 1:12 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question for those who read Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara books Foxaèr 2 756 October 12, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  David Bowie's 100 Favourite books: How many have you read? Rev. Rye 27 2551 October 22, 2016 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Guilty Pleasure Books BrokenQuill92 1 826 July 27, 2015 at 4:52 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Favorite Fantasy books and writers? ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 15 3206 July 24, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire