Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aspiring and experienced Writers' discussion thread
Aspiring and experienced Writers' discussion thread
Well, since the topic came up in the Dan Brown thread, and it turned out that a lot of people here have written at least fragments of fiction, and apparently like to talk about it, I thought why not have a dedicated thread!

It is intended to ask for and share advice, discuss tropes and devices, maybe to share some extracts of something you currently do to collect criticism.

I'll start with a question: if you had the time to spend on it starting now, what book project would you tackle? A novel? About what?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: Aspiring and experienced Writers' discussion thread
I remember some advice that says talking about what you're writing can easily become a substitute for actually writing.
Yeah right. Give up details about my goldmine. Blow me Uncle K! You'd just love to get your mitts on my giant cartoon bug that hangs out in children's bedrooms, singing horrible songs, and moving about stiffly, wouldn't you?!
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I took a number of writing classes in college. I got some recognition for (what I thought was) a pretty neat piece I wrote called "Numbers," with each section of the (approx. 15-page) semi-autobiographical piece increasing in complexity similarly to different classes of numbers (the wholes, integers, rationals, reals, and beyond). I'll post it somewhere (in thread maybe?) if anyone wants to read it.

I very much enjoy writing, and crafting a piece of writing, but I don't do it nearly as often as I should. Not enough hours in the day for work and chess and writing and guitar and japanese and football and eating and sleeping. Much of my writing is roughly stream-of-consciousness-ish, what I might call pseudoautobiography, maybe a sort of fantastical magical visceral interpretation of the experience of living. (?) I'm sketching out parts and scenes of a novel right now. If I get a little deeper into it (deep enough that I'm convinced I won't abandon the project!) I'll post more about it.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
I have eight chapters of a story outlined that I would return to, but I would probably start over from scratch. I'm hesitant to post all the details openly like this(not that I necessarily think someone would steal it), but suffice to say it's a sci-fi story about a timid guy that was aused by his mother but has completely repressed all of his emotions due to it. He receives a futiristic treatment for his psychological issues, and there's an acciddent during one of these treatments that causes him to experience something "supernatural" that forces him to confront all of the anger and pain he has repressed.

I'm big on exploring phsychological themese with sci-fi, and I also try(emphasis on "try") to incoporate metaphorical layers into the plot. The best sci-fi are the stories that use impossible scenarios to make statements about reality. It's sad to see the genre so cluttered with shallow attempts to cash in on laser beams and exo-skeletons.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 1, 2015 at 4:05 pm)TRJF Wrote: I very much enjoy writing, and crafting a piece of writing, but I don't do it nearly as often as I should.  Not enough hours in the day for work and chess and writing and guitar and japanese and football and eating and sleeping.

So, that's what life without kids is like? I had entirely forgotten.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Screenwriting and teleplays. I've heard that a completed work shouldn't be read or re-examined by the author for at least 2 weeks once it's finished, in order to critique one's own work from a proper perspective.  So true......and sometimes sad.
It would be fun to start an AF writers' group. When I lived elsewhere, I went to a group every week, and I loved it. Here, people are way snobbier about their groups and you practically have to be a Pulitzer winner to get in.

I agree with Chad: talking about writing can be detrimental; if you have a specific purpose, however, it can be extremely productive.

Now that I'm thinking about it: would you guys participate in a writers' group subforum if I petitioned for it? The way I see it is a dedicated thread to each member's piece(s) where we can comment and critique.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(September 1, 2015 at 6:07 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: It would be fun to start an AF writers' group. When I lived elsewhere, I went to a group every week, and I loved it. Here, people are way snobbier about their groups and you practically have to be a Pulitzer winner to get in.

I agree with Chad: talking about writing can be detrimental; if you have a specific purpose, however, it can be extremely productive.

Now that I'm thinking about it: would you guys participate in a writers' group subforum if I petitioned for it? The way I see it is a dedicated thread to each member's piece(s) where we can comment and critique.

Absofuckinglutely I would. It would also give me a hefty bit of motivation to really start churning my own insane ramblings out properly Big Grin
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
It's worth a try!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any writers here (or readers, especially of Fantasy or Magic Realism)? Jillybean 27 610 March 6, 2024 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  (western) classical music discussion Alex K 572 64695 November 14, 2018 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Metalheads Discussion - Revived Martian Mermaid 10 2049 January 20, 2018 at 4:35 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Metalheads Discussion lugal ki en 186 15006 December 23, 2016 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Film Club #2 - Coherence [Discussion] Heat 44 4479 March 29, 2016 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  Writing, Writers, and Scribbles. Stormcat 21 2937 February 17, 2016 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Poets and Writers Submit Your Work for Publication in this Elegant Journal Rhondazvous 0 642 November 9, 2015 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Favorite Fantasy books and writers? ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 15 3184 July 24, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Metal and Hard Rock discussion thread Alex K 116 15013 July 6, 2015 at 11:34 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Blues and Jazz discussion thread Alex K 18 4208 May 12, 2015 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus