Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remains of new human species found
Remains of new human species found
Remains of new human species found (Homo Naledi) in South African cave: scientists

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/new-...spartandhp

Quote:The fossilised bones of 15 bodies from a previously unknown human species have been discovered in a cave in South Africa, it was announced Thursday, in what scientists hailed as a breakthrough in evolution research

I bet God buried them just throw us off again!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Remains of new human species found
Wow, very interesting. Thanks!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Whoa!

Posted this one to FBook to screw with my fundie family members.

Seriously, cool info, thanks!
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Just read the article in one of our papers. Won't impress the likes of Ken Ham though, since they's have to pull their heads from the asses to read about it.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
This was on NPR this morning. Couple of interesting points, the age of the remains will be hard to pin down, because as the article says it appears they were discarded into the crevice as opposed to being buried slowly over time.

And there is a point in the crevice where you have to squeeze through a 7 inch gap. Fuck that! The lead paleoanthropologist sent his son down instead. I'd do the same haha
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
No word on the age of the fossil.

But looks to be considerably less sapien like than Erectus, perhaps similar to or even contempraneous with ergaster.    This suggest it is either quite old, or is a long lasting member of an old lineage. If this hominid had a burial custom, as implied, it would threaten to shatter established notions of how large and advanced the brain need to be to support cognitive basis for conceptualizing afterlife.   This creature has a brain far closer in size to those of a chimp than those of a erectus, much less Neanderthal or sapien.
(September 10, 2015 at 8:02 am)Chuck Wrote: No word on the age of the fossil.

They don't know yet. Brain the size of an orange, fingers made for climbing, but surprisingly many human features as well.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
You just saved me the bother of posting a new thread. Interesting find with lots of interesting questions still looking for an answer. Of course, if we're in a hurry we can always go with goddidit. But to ejaculate thusly would be premature.
Perhaps some radioactive isotopic dating of the tooth enamel will shed light on the age of the fossils.   I am particularly curious about how old these remains are.

Both the circumstances of the disposition of these fossils, and the stone tools associated with homo florensis hint at the possibility that we have greatly overestimated the importance of brain size upon the evolution of what had long been thought of as distinguishing cognitive capability and behaviors of higher hominids.
Why did they go with homo for Naledi? Can someone give a brief explanation for the criteria? Is it the feet and pelvis? Maybe the teeth?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your stance on bringing back extinct species? Fake Messiah 80 2157 March 12, 2024 at 8:50 am
Last Post: brewer
  New human species discovered in the Phillipines downbeatplumb 5 631 April 13, 2019 at 6:17 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Bumblebee officially added to endangered species list Foxaèr 13 1307 July 3, 2018 at 3:06 pm
  Without rape, most animal species would go extinct Alexmahone 34 4383 May 25, 2018 at 11:25 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  "Crocoduck" found. The Valkyrie 7 1973 December 8, 2017 at 4:30 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Strange troglodyte species found in Turkmenistan cave Foxaèr 4 846 September 26, 2017 at 7:18 am
  99 million Year Old Bird Transition Found Amarok 14 5322 June 9, 2017 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Dinosaur tail found preserved in amber! Simon Moon 84 14728 December 19, 2016 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  New Species Found in Oregon brewer 31 6263 February 11, 2016 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Do you think we could/will ever have two dominant[prime] species? Heat 11 3303 November 21, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: ignoramus