Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Men are better than women in combat
Sorry for the trigger title (so to speak), but it comes from an argument I made 3 years ago as an opinion columnist when I had just left the Air Force... around the time the ban on women on the frontlines was lifted. That argument can be found here

The reason for the post now is because the Marines just released a year long study showing how men outperformed women in combat in every case... just weeks after the big news came out that 2 women had made it through Ranger school. I'd state more of my argument here, but you can just read it in the link above.

My opinion has been strengthened from 3 years ago. I'll fight for equality (literally and figuratively), but in the interest of national security and lives being willfully put on the line, equity supersedes. Women should not be allowed on the front line, and if they must, they must match the minimum expectation of men. 

Ian
Anyone that wants to perform a job must meet the minimum requirements for it.
RE: Men are better than women in combat
Snacks
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(September 10, 2015 at 9:31 pm)KUSA Wrote: Anyone that wants to perform a job must meet the minimum requirements for it.

Agreed.

But if they qualify they shouldn't be restricted from it due to gender.
Dying to live, living to die.
Not the bedroom combat. I always get my ass whipped. HAH

When it comes to physical abilities and there are lives on the line, yes, there needs to be a performance standard. I believe fire fighters have a standard also. Not sure about all police. I've seen some really unfit examples.

Not up on any military combat duties. Do all require the same level of physical abilities? Do they all need the same abilities in case one goes down (not able to perform) the next available can step in?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 10, 2015 at 9:31 pm)KUSA Wrote: Anyone that wants to perform a job must meet the minimum requirements for it.

Well that was a quick argument. /thread
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(September 10, 2015 at 9:46 pm)Beccs Wrote:

Agreed.

But if they qualify they shouldn't be restricted from it due to gender.

I'll agree with that.
Women have much lighter requirements to meet in the military. And I don't say this lightly, as I'm a woman. It's just a fact.

I think a female firefighter has the SAME requirements as male firefighter. Same with cops. The military let's women do less than men.

I know women can be better shots than men. My understanding is that most women send into combat are shooters, snipers, and so forth. Therefore, in the combat area, they would be in the one area where they can indeed match or even exceed men. I could be wrong about that though.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(September 10, 2015 at 9:46 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Not the bedroom combat. I always get my ass whipped. HAH

When it comes to physical abilities and there are lives on the line, yes, there needs to be a performance standard. I believe fire fighters have a standard also. Not sure about all police. I've seen some really unfit examples.

Not up on any military combat duties. Do all require the same level of physical abilities? Do they all need the same abilities in case one goes down (not able to perform) the next available can step in?

I was a physical fitness officer for about a year when I was in the Air Force. I was one of two people responsible for the fitness standard of about 75 people. This was about 3 years ago. 

When it came to our standards. The maximum allotted points for women on pushups and situps was still not even a passing score for men. And when it came to 1.5 mile run times, men's minimum required times were minutes faster than women's minimum times... for a mile and a half run. In other words, you could have a male fail his fitness test, but if he were a woman with the same results, he'd get a 90+%. 

I don't think the standards have changed much since then, and I know that the situation was similar between the branches. 

When it comes down to it, every member of a unit should be able to perform at least the same tasks physically and lethally. Every member of your unit should be able to fireman carry every single member of the unit, in full gear. Can a woman at those standards carry a 220 lbs man in 100 lbs of gear if he was shot in combat? I don't think so. That's just one example. 

The standards must be set to the performance required for the job, not to the relative ability of the individual.
As far as I'm aware, the women who passed the Army rangers test went through the same test as the men. It sort of makes your whole argument void.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How did men survive this? Losty 23 3327 May 11, 2019 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are there situations where it is better to have a low IQ? Alexmahone 41 6529 July 5, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Pregnant blood kills men! brewer 7 1100 October 26, 2017 at 7:15 am
Last Post: chimp3
  In the future men will be able to carry children just like women rado84 110 10997 October 4, 2016 at 9:12 am
Last Post: mcolafson
  The Secual Experience for Men Rhondazvous 15 2796 July 27, 2015 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  New study shows 132.8% of men are pedophiles? Rev. Rye 9 3182 July 22, 2015 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  The effect of increasing sexualization of women in the media Mystic 37 14502 June 10, 2013 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: Gilgamesh
  Young Blood, Better Brain? thesummerqueen 5 3256 October 19, 2012 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Bloody men, and dolphins jonb 4 2042 October 15, 2012 at 7:56 am
Last Post: jonb
  Intelligent design: could we do better? TaraJo 97 39518 October 15, 2012 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Godscreated