Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chimps smarter than people. . . vsauce
Chimps smarter than people. . . vsauce
I lied a little, it's a very specific skill.  But damn, dude.  People aren't even close to this.

RE: Chimps smarter than people. . . vsauce
I wonder why the researcher puts such an emphasis on language in particular. I mean, I'm sure that the researcher knows a heck of a lot more about it than I do, but the video left me with the impression the cognitive trade off was that we compromised our memory in exchange for the ability to imagine. The very concise memory of the chimps is maybe an inability to imagine the numbers being anywhere other than where they saw them. Our memories are a mixture of imagination and facts and we are routinely unable to discern the difference. So we are more prone to saying, "I think the 3 was there. Or was it there? Oh, crap. I don't remember." Since the chimp can't imagine the 3 being anywhere other than where they saw it, they don't have that problem.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chimps may have entered their stone age. downbeatplumb 54 8655 February 19, 2016 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Potential origin of sharing- a study into chimps downbeatplumb 2 1602 January 16, 2013 at 6:29 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  If anybody thinks humans and chimps aren't related. Zen Badger 7 3040 September 30, 2011 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Chimps Using Machetes Shell B 1 2514 August 10, 2011 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger