Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Spirituality?
What is Spirituality?
I have been attempting to study the distinction between religion and spirituality. There haven't been all that many threads posted here about it recently. Spirituality is an American term, rarely found outside the US of A.  It originated in the 1960's, part of the cultural revolt against established authority.

A generic definition might be a search for a sense of revelation, inspiration, and beauty apart from the constraints of god or church. - A search for enlightenment, or a search for "something sacred". I reject "sacred" and "Holy" as terms created by the church to mean "worthy of extreme respect and obedience".  It's just another way to keep the sheeple in line.

I guess my question for the AF folks is: what's your take on Spirituality?  Is it simply a normal human search for growth and wisdom, that some folks have clothed in quasi-religious terminology?  Or is it a rebellion against established religion that still is based in a search for god?
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: What is Spirituality?
In a nutshell, spirituality can take on every shape or form. Religion needs a user manual.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I agree with Abaris. You won't find a one-size-fits-all definition for spirituality that everybody will agree with. To do so is to turn it into a religion.

I think many atheists shy away from the term because it seems counter to the idea that the physical world is all there is. Although lack of belief in god does not necessary mean materialism. And spirituality does not necessarily mean gods and angels or ghosts and fairies

I can't give you a text-book official definition, but I can tell you what it means to me—meaning what works for me. Spirituality for me is understanding that I am the first person to experience the energy that I send out into the universe. If I create negative energy, then I'm sending that negative energy into a universe where I have to live. Spirituality means being balanced. I am human, I'm not always going to do and say the perfectly right things. so I learn after analyzing the results of my behavior rather than creating more negative energy by indulging in self-recrimination. Spirituality means that I except that other people are grown just like me and they can do what they want to do, too. In a nutshell, spirituality is learning to be happy in a universe that I share with other people. It's empathy.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
I don't know. Spirituality seems like one of those vague New Age concepts. It does of strikes me as a non-religion religion...no set doctrine and kind of mish-mash of various religions, philosophy and other stuff; a little astrology, some meditation, Cabala, mushrooms, candles, Feng shui, Yoga AND yogurt, etc.  You know...whatever floats your boat.

I do know one thing. Christians hate that shit!
"Spirituality" is a sufficiently vague term that it can mean almost whatever someone wants it to mean. It often, though, is a way to express the idea that one is religious but not following a specific church. See:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defini.../spiritual

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
It's just another term for non sponsored woo.
Each to his own.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Great responses, folks, thank you! Yes, after a lot of internet searching, I tend to agree: there is no real definition, and if someone tries to quantify "spirituality", they essentially turn it into a religion. It then starts merging into a lot of New-Agey crystal energy, pyramid power, aura and chakra colors STUFF.  -- Which is what makes me think it can become a "god" alternative.  

I do like Rhondazvous' take on the subject.  -- We all have moments where we are aware of a moment of beauty, or of inspiration, and we can use these observations for our own betterment or gain.  I'm drawn to Buddhist philosophy, for example . . . but I will not call myself a Buddhist, or make reference to "Lord Buddha" as some of my friends do.  That's about as "spiritual" as I'm going to let myself get.  And don't we need another term anyway?  I don't believe in spirits!  How about a searcher of wisdom? 

Oh well, enough rambling!  Be well, folks!  Thanks for putting up with me!
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
"Spirituality" is the religion of people who don't want to tithe.
I'll have to ask my bar tender.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I've come to the conclusion that spirituality is exploring the side of being human that we don't understand through science and psychology. I guess that might be a fancy way of saying we seek to understand our own life process through experiencing it.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Hindu Perspective: Science vs. Spirituality Krishna Jaganath 70 9576 November 17, 2015 at 11:19 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Religiosity, Spirituality and the Moral Gavin Duffy 104 19433 February 23, 2015 at 1:15 am
Last Post: ether-ore
  The development of spirituality in evolution. Mystic 2 918 June 14, 2014 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  the "spirituality forums": Tabby 4 2414 July 31, 2009 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Giff
  "Spirituality" Tabby 16 6777 June 21, 2009 at 5:08 am
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki