Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Hindu Perspective: Science vs. Spirituality
A Hindu Perspective: Science vs. Spirituality
Spirituality can never be understood by science. A person’s current reality or state defines their ideas and impressions of the world. For example only a few hundred years ago, most people, including scientist believed the world to be flat. If you would approach a group of scientists at that time and tell them the world was round they would have thought you were crazy. Then and even now science is bound to the reality of the particular time we live in, the idea of gravity or anything else that could prove the world was indeed round would have been dismissed as complete nonsense by the most credible scientists in the world at that time. Only when there is a drastic change in knowledge, does reality change.

When a few scientist (outliers) of that time made an effort to challenge their current reality, did things start to change, this is common with science throughout the ages, as much as we like to believe that science is progressive it is infact dogmatic. The big discoveries that changed the very face of science where looked at as outrageous and only when a few courageous outliers in the field of science dared to push the norms did the reality of science change.

Another analogy that would apply to the world we live in today would be if aliens came to earth and observed how we performed experiments and said it is a terrible way to understand things, and continued saying we tried this thousands of years ago and it doesn’t work. Till there is a major shift in reality, every major scientist in the world would have concluded that math is the best system we have in place. Our knowledge of the world is based on our current reality and only once our reality is shifted do we have change our beliefs.

The great sages and saints have been talking about a different reality than science for thousands of years. This reality has nothing to do with how we know science today, how we knew science in the past, or how we will probably know it in the future. Based on the works of these great saints and their direct experiences, we realize that when we talk about science and spiritually we are talking about two different realities.

To explain with an analogy it would be comparable to a scientist 200 years ago talking to an alien who traveled at light speed to reach earth. What they would be sharing with each other would make no sense to either of them. To go further with the analogy, the scientists on earth would have to qualify themselves to understand the aliens, they would have to be willing to learn from the aliens about a system that in their current reality is not possible to comprehend in their wildest dreams, and if they weren’t willing to qualify themselves they would never understand the reality of the aliens, let alone try and explain it.

To main point of this essay is to reinforce the point that spirituality and science are in two very different realities. Another analogy would be the dog and the table analogy. A dog when looking at a table stand views its purpose as something he can go to the bathroom on, a scientist on the other hand doesn’t look at a table in the same reality as a dog, he doesn’t even look at it like a piece of wood, he looks at has a group of atmos. The dog and the scientist are in two different realities, the dog would never be able to understand the scientist. Every piece of possible evidence the dog can come up with in his current reality would only lead him to one conclusion: the table’s purpose is to go to the bathroom on.

So when we talk about trying to prove or disprove spirituality with science, it is like trying to convince a dog that a table is not just how he perceive the table to be. For the dog to believe that it is something more, it has to make an effort to learn from someone who has the knowledge to see the table in a different reality. In essence their needs to be some qualifications that the dog needs to gain, training that he needs to go through in order to perceive a different reality.

When the saints and sages discuss a spiritual world, where things are not what they seem, they are in fact talking about a different reality, they are like a nuclear scientist perceiving the table to be made up of molecules and perceiving different purposes for the table than just something to pee on. Relating this back to the subject of spirituality, the saint and the scientist can be compared to how a dog would answer to a nuclear physicist. The dog would naturally tell the scientist he is crazy, there is no such thing as molecules, the Dog would say if he could talk, “can’t you see all the evidence leads to the fact the table is and will always be used for going to the bathroom on.” Just like a dog replies to a nuclear physicist, the scientist replies to the saint in the same manner, based on his reality that he currently lives in.

When we understand that spirituality and science in the material world can be compared to two different realities, isn’t it then borderline arrogant for a scientist to assume that he has the qualifications to understand a different reality then he currently lives in, when he has not made one effort to qualify himself to understand the spiritual reality.
The arrogance of the scientist can be compared to a person who was an education of a dishwasher approaching a rocket scientist and saying you are crazy, there is no way you can build something that could go to the moon, look at me when I jump I can’t even jump 12 inches of the ground before coming down, how then can you fly to the moon. The rocket scientist would then try to explain the reason and ask the dishwasher to take some classes so he can become qualified to understand a bit more about rocket science, the boy just says no you are stupid I don’t want to waste my time with something which I know doesn’t make any sense.

We need to ask ourselves which reality are we in, do we acknowledge the saints, and believe in what they are saying or not. If we chose not to read the lives of saints and take their experiences as something real and we don’t try to qualify ourselves by the practices and lessons given to us by these saints, how can we ever expect to understand their reality?
Scientists are arrogant to assume, like a dog, that their reality is actually the only reality that exists, and they dogmatically refuse to try and qualify themselves to understand a different reality. The extent of their “trying” would be like if a dishwasher takes a few classes in their local university and says look I’ve taken classes now in rocket science, I’m qualified, and still what I think you are saying about going to the moon is crazy.

With any other major scientific discovery in science, the scientists have always made the necessary adjustments to qualify themselves to understand the world better, but when it comes to religion this idea of qualification is nonexistent. The saints are simply not respected by the majority of scientists, it’s a bit like a dog not respecting a nuclear physicist because he perceives what he is saying is so completely absurd that he must be crazy.

In truth saints spent more time in qualifying themselves to understand the reality of the spiritual world than scientist have spent training to understand their fields. These saints have spent their whole life contemplating the spiritual life, to qualify themselves to gain insight into a different reality then the material world we live in. They can be compared to a dog breaking free from the animalistic qualities it was born with, and transforming itself to a nuclear physicist who can perceive a different reality. Qualifications to understand spirituality is not the same qualifications to understand dishwashing, or rocket science, it is in fact much more difficult. If we don’t spend the time to qualify ourselves, and similar to taking a few classes in our local university about rocket science think we can build a rocket to the moon, assume we think we can understand the spirituality reality, is simply arrogant on our behalf.

So the question is do you want to be a dog bound by the material reality imparted on you by your fellow dogs or do you want to transcend those qualities and try to qualify yourself to understand a different reality. If so read the stories of saints, follow their advice, qualify yourself and you will start to perceive an altogether different reality.
Science can never explain religion, it would be the same as a dog explaining why a table is actually something made up of atoms and can be used in a variety of ways other than to pee on. Only when the dog asks a teacher, who has the qualifications and is able to view the table in a different reality, to show the dog a different way of looking at the table, can the reality of the dog change, if not, the dog will always be confined to his reality.

Disclaimer:
Not all scientist come to the same conclusions, and some claim to be scientists while in reality they are really not. It is the same in spirituality, sometimes you will come across saints and teachings of saints who have qualified themselves to understand a different reality, and sometimes it is possible to come across dogs claiming to be nuclear scientists. How one comes across a true saint can’t be explained by this reality, just like many things in life, it can be a variety of many factors, sometimes also referred to as luck.

As countless experiments in science has proven, sometimes you have to get lucky. It is the same in spirituality, sometimes you have to get lucky to find the truth. But just like in science, we keep trying, and one day Eureka! After countless searching, one day we find the Perfect Master, the perfect nuclear physicist who can take us out of the dog state into a higher reality of how we perceive our lives.
This essay also does not go into detail about different religions, the idea of morals, or any other major topics discussed in the world today about spirituality. It is only meant to establish that science and spirituality are in two very different realities, and that science cannot explain spirituality, without first qualifying themselves.
RE: A Hindu Perspective: Science vs. Spirituality
Another god botherer who has a problem with science.  Boring. Your "saints" aren't respected, because they've done nothing to earn respect. You got something against dogs, btw, you keep using it as an insult, what's up with that?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Maybe "hello" would have been an easier starter?

Please define "spirituality" in a way that isn't metaphorical.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
"science and spirituality or in two very different realities"
2 realities ? What's wrong with 7? That's my lucky number.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
The idea that some people said stuff that sounded crazy at the time but turned out to be true, does not support the idea that every crazy idea should be taken seriously just in case it turns out to be true.

Once the evidence is in, that's the time to take things seriously. Until then, clinging to the hope that there will be evidence is foolish.

And if you want to divorce spirituality from science, then there can never be evidence. Unfalisifiable nonsense it is then.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
tl;dr version

OP claims scientists are ignorant about the world compared to spiritual saints and sages.
OP claims because science was wrong a couple hundred years ago, so it must be wrong today.

@OP ,even if scientists couldn't perform test on spirits, etc directly, they would be able to perform test indirectly if they existed and had an effect on the world.
Everyone relax! Plenty to go around.

[Image: u7oyo.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
@Krishna Jaganath : If you consider it arrogant for a well educated scientist who spends his/her entire life towards understanding our own reality, how arrogant do you consider yourself to be when claiming to understand two realities and have nothing to back it up?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

If you're going to reply, for God's sake please try to be succinct. You'll lose any potential audience very quickly with another text wall.

Index of my best videos
God gives his sheep endless arrogance!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Internal vs External perspective I_am_not_mafia 15 2154 May 25, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  What is Spirituality? drfuzzy 14 4147 September 14, 2015 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Religiosity, Spirituality and the Moral Gavin Duffy 104 19438 February 23, 2015 at 1:15 am
Last Post: ether-ore
  The development of spirituality in evolution. Mystic 2 919 June 14, 2014 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Physics, Hindu Cosmology, God and New Age Inspiration Confused Ape 42 14107 March 20, 2014 at 4:52 am
Last Post: Confused Ape
  Now a Hindu Group Wants a Monument at the Oklahoma Capitol Gooders1002 45 10698 December 15, 2013 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Can someone be hindu and a Atheist? Lemonvariable72 20 6217 November 10, 2013 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Dionysius
  Encounter with a Hindu preacher Gooders1002 10 6757 May 18, 2012 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Aegrus
  A Computational Perspective of Religion Rayaan 9 7152 March 27, 2012 at 8:21 am
Last Post: fuckass365
  Deny Science and you Don't get to Use Science Eilonnwy 21 14203 February 16, 2012 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Napoléon