Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What should John do?
Brick 
What should John do?
It's the year 2107, and pretty much every personal computer but the ones sitting in museums, has more than enough computing power to run a then popular and prominent, yet controversial, but still legal, simulated reality "video game", complete with the ability to have sentient AIs living inside it if the player so desire. While every single variable of the simulation is fully customizable to accommodate the player's creative take on how their universe should work, there are some presets to simplify things, such as one that was made to very closely mimic our own universe. 

Then there was John. A simple, happy, married man. John was an atheist, but he fancied the idea of being a god - and he liked to play video games, so when the simulated reality game came out, he got so excited and decided to grab one despite all the critics and controversies surrounding it. Fast forward a few weeks, and John have focused his attention on this particular world, where its intelligent inhabitants have made it to a level of civilization that resembles the first quarter of 21st century Earth, without its dilemmas. What intrigued John was the fact that this world's inhabitants were unique compared to the rest that he have observed. They have never been interested to the idea of a god, religion, or any superstitious fallacies throughout their entire development, all without John's intervention. Their world was a utopia, the dream of every sensible person, John thought to himself.

But then came a terrible realization, they were too late. The intelligent life on that particular world emerged just before its host star was going to go nova. All thanks to the fact that the planet was previously orbiting the cold, inhabitable outermost region of its host star, and it had only became a habitable, lively planet that it was when its host star turned into a red giant. This made John thinks hard. Should he delay the star's nova until the civilization got advanced enough to escape their doom? But then they would notice that extraordinary, unexplainable anomaly. They were no fool, they knew their math and physics, they knew they were doomed. They have been constructing a generation starship, planning to take refugee in the deep reach of blackness in space, but both the people of the utopia and John knew they won't made it in time to escape the star's fiery explosion.  

Since it was a simulated reality, John could go back in time and alter some variables, but what can be changed? What if John dragged the planet closer to its host star back when it was still just a normal star, another kind of civilization would emerge? One that's fundamentally different than this one. What if John altered anything in the past, they just won't be the same for one reason or another? No, John wanted this one, this very special one that came to existence all without John's intervention. He was curious, curious to see whether or not this particular civilization would eventually realize they were living in a simulated reality even though John have never meddled with them, and how they are going to make that happen. So no, John cannot intervene, at least not in the past, not by changing the universe's constants, and not in a way that its inhabitant would realize that there was a 'divine' intervention.

What should John do?
RE: What should John do?
I do not know. I am not John.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Welcome.

John? Make and introduction?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 13, 2015 at 9:05 am)Kitan Wrote: I do not know.  I am not John.

How can we know that you're not this thread's particular John who somehow manifested his conscience in this reality through some divine intervention? Rolleyes

(September 13, 2015 at 9:07 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Welcome.

John? Make and introduction?

Not John, but will do make an introduction if I happen to think it's necessary  Big Grin thanks for the welcome anyway.
John, unplug the machine. If he's that emotionally invested in a simulation I think he has other issues that need to be addressed.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
If he decides that the guys in his simulation are conscious, he should try to tell them the truth. If not, what mh.brewer said Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Tap up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A. That brings up the cheat menu where John can get infinite lives, as well as choosing where he wants to respawn. Tell him to save his progress first, as it's been known to crash the game.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 13, 2015 at 9:05 am)Kitan Wrote: I do not know.  I am not John.

I am John and I'd introduce sharks with lazers on their heads.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

John should probably eat something. Maybe pay some bills.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Fuck John, I hate that motherfucker >:c

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some bad physics from Bishop John Shelby Spong. Jehanne 10 2373 September 25, 2016 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: vorlon13