Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some bad physics from Bishop John Shelby Spong.
Some bad physics from Bishop John Shelby Spong.
Quote:I also cannot imagine trying to suggest that there was once a literal star that was hung in the sky to announce the birth of a man named Jesus. Nor can I imagine that that star could be dragged across the sky, the roof of the earth or the floor of heaven, perhaps by one of the angels that apace so slowly that wise men could actually follow it. I cannot believe that there was a time when this Jesus of Nazareth, having completed his work, decided to return to where God is, and so he simply rose off this earth to go beyond the sky. I know that if Jesus rose off this earth and went far enough, he didn't get to heaven he got into orbit. I live in a very different kind of universe from the universe in which the bible was written, and I cannot pretend that that is not so.

http://www.abc.net.au/compass/intervs/spong2001.htm

He's a great theologian but not a physicist (neither am I).  Perhaps this is one reason why scholars who are experts in one area ought to be more cautious when writing about other areas.  Simply ascending 100 kilometers (say, on a giant elevator) is not sufficient to put one into orbit; in fact, you'd fall out of the sky if you jumped off!
RE: Some bad physics from Bishop John Shelby Spong.
Please. The creator of the universe would of course be able to move stars around. Is the guy an atheist in denial?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(September 25, 2016 at 3:18 pm)Alex K Wrote: Please. The creator of the universe would of course be able to move stars around. Is the guy an atheist in denial?

"'Last Thursdayism' by any other name."
"Spong"?

Seriously??
Dying to live, living to die.
Expecting accurate physics from Spong makes about as much sense as expecting a discourse on Artisotelean metaphysics from a cherrystone clam.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
'Clam' being a stealthy sexual innuendo into a thread topic on someone named Spong, of course.

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Somewhere in there, there's a sensible human being clawing desperately to get out.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(September 25, 2016 at 4:35 pm)Iroscato Wrote: Somewhere in there, there's a sensible human being clawing desperately to get out.

Yup, Atheist in denial, I called it...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(September 25, 2016 at 4:34 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: 'Clam' being a stealthy sexual innuendo into a thread topic on someone named Spong, of course.

Tongue

Huh. And all this time I thought an 'innuendo' was an Italian suppository...

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I didn't comment on cherry stone either . . . .

I eschew low hanging fruit . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 799 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  Physics Puzzle for the Gearheads onlinebiker 27 2328 May 20, 2020 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What's your area's bad ass bug(s)? Gawdzilla Sama 23 1734 November 4, 2018 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  The No Good, Bad Luck Thread Bob Kelso 4 368 September 12, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A bad day for the neighbors ... and a mystery to solve ignoramus 6 474 July 6, 2018 at 3:47 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How long can a Subway sandwich last in the refrigerator before it goes bad? Cthulhu Awakening 11 6483 December 24, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Good person/bad person Catholic_Lady 82 10688 October 23, 2017 at 9:18 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Vaccines both good and bad? goombah111 109 16317 December 20, 2016 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Bad mornings are bad Losty 137 9827 October 7, 2016 at 9:00 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  need a little support - bad boss day drfuzzy 21 4791 February 28, 2016 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon