Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which of the multiple multiverse models seems most fitting to you?
Which of the multiple multiverse models seems most fitting to you?
Was just browsing the web for anything on the multiverse and settled into wiki where I found Brian Greene's list of nine ways to conceptualize a multiverse.  I won't pretend to understand them all.  The Inflationary multiverse is the one that seems most intuitive to me.  

I hear others say things which make me think they subscribe to the Quilted multiverse where every possible event is actualized in some universe or other.  That doesn't seem at all likely to me but I'd like to hear why anyone else thinks it is so.  I take it that a Quantum multiverse and Ultimate multiverse are similar notions.

My imagination shuts down around talk of more than three spatial dimensions.  So I don't know what to make of a Landscape, Cyclic or Brane multiverse.

The other two, Holographic and Simulated multiverses, seem to have more to do with imaging than with the multiverse itself.  Although I suppose lovers of the Matrix movie might like them.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who finds one or another of these a useful way to think about everything.  Is there anyone who believes that the cosmic background radiation represents the limits of everything there is or ever will be?  Admittedly no one is in any favorable position to say authoritatively what the disposition of everything actually is, but I am curious to get a sense of people's thinking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

Quote:American theoretical physicist and string theorist Brian Greene discussed nine types of parallel universes:[46]

QuiltedThe quilted multiverse works only in an infinite universe. With an infinite amount of space, every possible event will occur an infinite number of times. However, the speed of light prevents us from being aware of these other identical areas.

InflationaryThe inflationary multiverse is composed of various pockets where inflation fields collapse and form new universes.

BraneThe brane multiverse follows from M-theory and states that our universe is a 3-dimensional brane that exists with many others on a higher-dimensional brane or "bulk". Particles are bound to their respective branes except for gravity.

CyclicThe cyclic multiverse (via the ekpyrotic scenario) has multiple branes (each a universe) that collided, causing Big Bangs. The universes bounce back and pass through time, until they are pulled back together and again collide, destroying the old contents and creating them anew.

LandscapeThe landscape multiverse relies on string theory's Calabi–Yau shapes. Quantum fluctuations drop the shapes to a lower energy level, creating a pocket with a different set of laws from the surrounding space.

QuantumThe quantum multiverse creates a new universe when a diversion in events occurs, as in the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics.

HolographicThe holographic multiverse is derived from the theory that the surface area of a space can simulate the volume of the region.

SimulatedThe simulated multiverse exists on complex computer systems that simulate entire universes.

UltimateThe ultimate multiverse contains every mathematically possible universe under different laws of physics.
RE: Which of the multiple multiverse models seems most fitting to you?
If I were forced to choose, either inflationary or cyclic (although accelerating expansion doesn't seem to imply a cycle) make the most sense to my admittedly limited imagination.  Discussion of such non-falsifiable ideas places this topic in the realm of philosophy; an area in which I am self-proclaimed to be mediocre...

The possibilities are fascinating to ponder.
(January 7, 2016 at 3:19 pm)mediocrates Wrote: If I were forced to choose, either inflationary or cyclic (although accelerating expansion doesn't seem to imply a cycle) make the most sense to my admittedly limited imagination.  Discussion of such non-falsifiable ideas places this topic in the realm of philosophy; an area in which I am self-proclaimed to be mediocre...

The possibilities are fascinating to ponder.

I don't think philosophy is restricted to non-falsifiable assertions but I admit there seems to be a problem with placing cosmology concerned with what will forever be beyond our ability to access under physical sciences.  But cosmology is certainly one concern of science, and an assumption that what we can observe is all there is is no more supported than an assumption that it is not.  Guess that makes me a not-ist, though I don't think I'll change my user name over it.
These varieties to me don't appear exclusive. For example, the superstring landscape would be combined with an inflationary scenario and possibly (but not necessarily) many worlds qm in order to have it create many pockets with differing laws of physics after the big bang. I believe this is the most commonly speculated-about variety.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(January 7, 2016 at 4:34 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote: I don't think philosophy is restricted to non-falsifiable assertions but I admit there seems to be a problem with placing cosmology concerned with what will forever be beyond our ability to access under physical sciences.  But cosmology is certainly one concern of science, and an assumption that what we can observe is all there is is no more supported than an assumption that it is not.  Guess that makes me a not-ist, though I don't think I'll change my user name over it.

Point taken.

I suppose our ability to make observations will continue to change over time.  History shows that each time our capabilities of observation improve significantly our understanding of the scope of the cosmos grows.  When we first proved that what were being called nebulae were actually galaxies outside of our own the universe as we understood it instantly grew by hundreds of millions of light years.  We should remember that there is more to learn and that a similar leap is possible.
There one where i'm rich and the world isn't suffering from global warming also religious nutcases and extremists are super rare=.
Before i forget there is only first world nations, people aren't struggling or starving and there is virtually no suffering of any sort.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(January 7, 2016 at 6:04 pm)dyresand Wrote: There one where i'm rich and the world isn't suffering from global warming also religious nutcases and extremists are super rare=.
Before i forget there is only first world nations, people aren't struggling or starving and there is virtually no suffering of any sort.

And then there is one just like that, except that everyone owns a talking pink elephant as well.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Can I entertain the idea of Ultimate without sounding like a loony?
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(January 7, 2016 at 6:07 pm)Quantum Wrote:
(January 7, 2016 at 6:04 pm)dyresand Wrote: There one where i'm rich and the world isn't suffering from global warming also religious nutcases and extremists are super rare=.
Before i forget there is  only first world nations, people aren't struggling or starving and there is virtually no suffering of any sort.

And then there is one just like that, except that everyone owns a talking pink elephant as well.

And another except the pink elephants have top hats monocles and canes.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
[Image: yunomakepoll.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which space mission would you choose? Fake Messiah 30 2622 March 29, 2017 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Is there a real chance that there is a multiverse? SerenelyBlue 127 14969 September 15, 2016 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Multiverse theory Heat 19 6718 September 16, 2015 at 1:05 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Multiverse Tea Earl Grey Hot 9 2332 March 23, 2014 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  Multiverse little_monkey 0 1090 October 29, 2011 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: little_monkey
  Multiverse theory is now verifiable little_monkey 10 2912 October 5, 2011 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: LunchBox
  'Multiverse' theory suggested by microwave background downbeatplumb 8 5341 August 4, 2011 at 8:16 am
Last Post: Welsh cake