Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riddle: Win One Rep by Answering this Riddle
Riddle: Win One Rep by Answering this Riddle
For one rep and to be induction into the Rhondazvous International Hall of Geniuses, answer the following riddle. One rep for the answer and one more rep for why that answer works.

There are two doors. Both doors are identical except behind one door is a check for 10 thousand dollars. Behind the other door is a man-eating tiger. In front of each door stands a guard. Each guard is exactly identical except one guard always tells the truth while the other guard always lies. To find out which door has the check you get to ask one guard one question. What question will you ask to which guard?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Riddle: Win One Rep by Answering this Riddle
I would ask both:

"If I asked you which door leads to the check, which one would you point to?"
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
For the sake of fairness, I have to point you to Knight000s "Intelligence Test" thread where we recently discussed this problem
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(September 16, 2015 at 9:06 am)Iroscato Wrote: I would ask both:

You can only ask one guard one question.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

(September 16, 2015 at 9:09 am)Alex K Wrote: For the sake of fairness, I have to point you to Knight000s "Intelligence Test" thread where we recently discussed this problem
Oh, do be fair. Where is this thread? Do you have a link to it?

--Voltaire

Sad Aw, yeah, we've recently had this. I was looking forward to a new brain teaser, too. Thanks a lot, Rhonda!

Big Grin
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(September 16, 2015 at 9:13 am)Rhondazvous Wrote:

You can only ask one guard one question.

Bollocks.

In that case "Where would the other guard point if I asked him which door leads to the check?"

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(September 16, 2015 at 9:03 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: For one rep and to be induction into the Rhondazvous International Hall of Geniuses, answer the following riddle. One rep for the answer and one more rep for why that answer works.

There are two doors. Both doors are identical except behind one door is a check for 10 thousand dollars. Behind the other door is a man-eating tiger. In front of each door stands a guard. Each guard is exactly identical except one guard always tells the truth while the other guard always lies. To find out which door has the check you get to ask one guard one question. What question will you ask to which guard?

The question I would ask:  "If I asked what door lead to freedom, what door would the other guard point to?"

If you asked the truth-guard, the truth-guard would tell you that the liar-guard would point to the door that leads to death.
If you asked the liar-guard, the liar-guard would tell you that the truth-guard would point to the door that leads to death.
Therefore, no matter who you ask, the guards tell you which door leads to death, and therefore you can pick the other door.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.

Wouldn't work as they can both show their own doors. You have to ask each guard what the other one's reply would be to which door is the correct one.

Basically

D1 - G1 - tells lie
D2 - G2 - tells truth

Assume D1 is the correct door

Ask each guard which door the other guard will show:

In case of G1(liar): G2 will point to D1 hence G1 will lie and point to D2
In case of G2(honest): Will correctly say that G1 will point to D2.

So you just have to do the opposite to both and enter D1.

This only works if you assume both guards know of each other's honesty or dishonesty.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I demand a rep for effort Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which TV game show would you win? Fake Messiah 6 803 January 18, 2023 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Rep Whoring Thread (again) The Valkyrie 16 783 September 9, 2020 at 12:29 am
Last Post: no one
  Rep Whores Unite! chimp3 74 5513 July 23, 2019 at 4:14 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Rep Whoring thread for everyone :D Joods 180 17558 January 25, 2019 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Rep Points BrianSoddingBoru4 24 2386 December 2, 2018 at 12:12 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Time for my rep thread GrandizerII 24 2273 October 19, 2018 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Private
  The totally obnoxious, desperate, almost loving, Rep Whore thread The Valkyrie 265 24647 June 18, 2018 at 1:30 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Curious how one gets the "jerkoff" emoticon next to one's name Foxaèr 29 5111 April 17, 2018 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Brian37
  I bet I don't even win the Mostedest Posts Posted Award Foxaèr 18 2093 April 9, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Answering one thread's title with that of another Whateverist 8 948 February 5, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Fireball