Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How I became an atheist (Edited)
How I became an atheist (Edited)
(Edit:Misspelling removed)

I was not raised in a religious family, my parents have never been specially religious. They have never gone to church, except from when they baptised me, some funerals and their own wedding. But other then that have they never gone to church. Thatsbecause that are protestant and don't have to. Also are they not specially religious either.

Anyway despite that even though they are no believing christians did they put me in a christian kindergarden "kyrkans timmar"(roughly translated "the churches hours". It was not a traditionaly kindergarten, that you can hear on its name, you were not there for entire day. Somewhere betwenn 2-5 hours perhaps.

Because it was a religious kindergarden, and was a very close neighbour of a chuch, did you learn quite alot about the bible, god and you where sometimes in the church and learn about things there too. My time there made me religious person.

Between the ages of 6-15 where I quite religious, not entirly religious not a fanatic or a deep believer, but I belived during that period that threre was a god or a higher power. around when I was 7-12 did I also belived that there was spirits in the trees and all that, you know native american style.

During this time when I was religious did I also became a racist. This because I didnt like foreigners and specially not other religions like Islam. That because I thought Sweden was a christian country and it should stay that way. I even called muslims for "animals", which I can't understand why I said..

But then when I was around 14 and 15, I dont remember how, did I just grew tiered of being a racist and just decided to stop hate people. I also stopped seing thoes people that I hanged out with during my racist period, that mainly effected me.

A short period after that, when I was 15, did I also in a real way become a atheist. At the time I didnt know that the word athesits exicted but I didnt believe in a god or any devine or higher power at all. At the end of the year, when a substitut teacher came to the school who was a athetist, did I get familiar with the word.

I dont know how the conversation came up but someone asked which religion he was a part of And he answerd that he had none, that he was a atheist. Then someone asked what that meatn. He replied that he didnt belive in any god but he respected others that did.

Since then have I been a atheist. I dont know if I started calling me that exactly right away after hearing that. But atleast a short period of time after that did I call myself that.

Since then have I been stronger and stronger against religion the more I've learned about it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How I Became An Atheist Shuffle 15 4452 August 19, 2015 at 4:38 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Why I Left Islam And Became An Atheist mota 9 6728 May 22, 2013 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: viocjit
  How I Became an Atheist hockeymonk 5 2573 March 3, 2013 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How I became atheist Doubting Thomas 9 5268 April 19, 2011 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  How I became a non-believer SleepingDemon 7 2701 April 18, 2010 at 4:22 am
Last Post: fr0d0